The Dispatch: "If You Get ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now,’ You Get The Smiths" (May 18, 2024)

If You Get ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now,’ You Get The Smiths

GettyImages-509833861.jpg

Excerpt:

"The Smiths are one of those rare bands that managed to build a remarkable, enduring legacy and sustain an ardent fan base despite having very little success on the singles charts. Since its debut album in 1983 and long after its break-up less than four years later, the Manchester-based guitar-pop band—comprising singer and lyricist Morrissey, guitarist and songwriter Johnny Marr, bassist Andy Rourke, and drummer Mike Joyce—has enjoyed critical acclaim and a cult following. In the early 2000s, Rolling Stone included four Smiths albums on its list of the 500 greatest in rock history. Their music has functioned as plot points in at least two films produced long after the group’s disbanding: (500) Days of Summer and The Killer... "

Read-counted gate removed:

Have never been a big fan of that song. It's good, but not great. Especially compared to the 3 singles that came before it. Heaven Knows almost becomes self parody. It's like The Smiths doing an impersonation of The Smiths.

This is former US Sup Ct judge Antonin Scalia's son. Scalia is deceased and was very conservative, the author is also conservative. Apparently a lot of conservative and alt right accounts post about Morrissey on twitter.

HKIMN has always been one of my favorite Smiths songs. Fantastic guitar work from JM and Andy’s bass is endlessly groovy. And when Moz is singing about the horrors of work and having to suck up to people you can’t stand, young (and, quite frankly, older) me could relate. Also, one of my favorite Smiths songs to sing along to.

That's his problem with the piece.

He doesn't have any insight into a left-wing band.
A lot of people on the right are Morrissey and Smiths fans, you are just going to have to deal with it. Morrissey is right wing, deal with that too.

"There’s another, seldom-recognized quality that makes this and many other Smiths songs magical: the bass playing of Andy Rourke"

Nonsense. Andy's bass playing is only seldom-recognised if you've been living under a rock and have been willfully ignoring all of the recognition it received over the years. I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of Smiths fans understand that Andy's bass lines are one of the fundamental pillars of what made the Smiths great.

Maybe if I get this article, I will also get music journalism.

Oh no wait, it doesn't work like that does it.

In an opinion column for The New York Times on 23 May, entitled For the Love of Sentences, which mentions favorite bits of recent writing from The Times or other publications, Frank Bruni comments on The Dispatch article:

"And in The Dispatch, Christopher J. Scalia celebrated the 40th anniversary of the song “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” by the band The Smiths, who included the lead singer Morrissey and the guitarist Johnny Marr: “When Morrissey begins the second verse, Marr and producer John Porter add a track of delicate, arpeggiated chords, heavy on the reverb and delay, to deepen the texture. You’ve heard of Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound? This is Johnny Marr’s Bead Curtain of Jangle.” (Peter Kiley, Washington, D.C." - https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/23/opinion/longevity-equinox-wellness-immortality.html and https://archive.is/MbUEJ

Heaven Knows almost becomes self parody. It's like The Smiths doing an impersonation of The Smiths.
I agree, and I don't think Morrissey is that keen on it either, as due to it getting some decent radio airplay and traction in the UK, this one really seems to have cemented his persona as a 'moaning misery' amongst the general public, and he's had to battle against that caricature ever since. It's a shame, as there is some nice guitar and bass playing on the record, but the whole song almost feels like a pastiche of what The Smiths were.

Have never been a big fan of that song. It's good, but not great. Especially compared to the 3 singles that came before it. Heaven Knows almost becomes self parody. It's like The Smiths doing an impersonation of The Smiths.
It's par for the course for songs of bands to become dated and the Smiths are not immune to this predicament. Some of their songs have lost their edge for sure and some have gained a sharper edge. I listen to Morrissey way more than I do the Smiths. Songs like Girlfriend in a Coma need to be induced into a coma never to be awoken ever again.

It's par for the course for songs of bands to become dated and the Smiths are not immune to this predicament. Some of their songs have lost their edge for sure and some have gained a sharper edge. I listen to Morrissey way more than I do the Smiths.
Edit: It’s usually effects, drum sounds, studio techniques that can date music. Lyrics could too of course. Which makes me think that maybe The Smiths lyrics were dated from the very beginning! Lol. But the subject matter of the human condition, will, I hope, always be relatable. Though most of Morrissey’s solo lyrics in comparison can be considered more ‘modern’.
Songs like Girlfriend in a Coma need to be induced into a coma never to be awoken ever again.

But is that because it sounds dated, or simply that we’ve heard it so often? And there’s a limit to how many times we can hear certain songs over other overplayed songs. For example, I don’t think ‘GIAComa’ is as deep or rich sonically, as ‘HSINow?’ nor leave more to the listeners imagination, regarding the lyrics, so ‘GIAComa’ doesn’t hold up as well as far as repeated listening goes.

Last edited:
Edit: It’s usually effects, drum sounds, studio techniques that can date music. Lyrics could too of course. Which makes me think that maybe The Smiths lyrics were dated from the very beginning! Lol. But the subject matter of the human condition, will, I hope, always be relatable. Though most of Morrissey’s solo lyrics in comparison can be considered more ‘modern’.

But is that because it sounds dated, or simply that we’ve heard it so often? And there’s a limit to how many times we can hear certain songs over other overplayed songs. For example, I don’t think ‘GIAComa’ is as deep or rich sonically, as ‘HSINow?’ nor leave more to the listeners imagination, regarding the lyrics, so ‘GIAComa’ doesn’t hold up as well as far as repeated listening goes.
I've never really liked Girlfriend in a Coma or Bigmouth Strikes Again. This is not because I've heard them too many times. I just don't like the melodies or the music behind them at all. The lyrics aren't great either. I've heard How Soon is Now a million times and I'll hear it a million more times because it's not only not dated, it's timeless musically, lyrically and melodically.

I've never really liked Girlfriend in a Coma or Bigmouth Strikes Again. This is not because I've heard them too many times. I just don't like the melodies or the music behind them at all. The lyrics aren't great either.

I've heard How Soon is Now a million times and I'll hear it a million more times because it's not only not dated, it's timeless musically, lyrically and melodically.

Yeah, that’s what I mean. That there are certain overplayed songs that can still hold our attention.

yip zoom there is only so many times you can listen to a song,first of the gang was so popular and was on tv and radio and played on a lot of concerts that i cant even listen to it anymore and yet its a great song.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom