The David Bowie appreciation thread

I like some of Bowie's stuff.

I'm a Bowie fan since 1972 and he was the coolest rock star ever and i hated his 1980's albums but loved the "Outside" album from 1995 and he changed the face of rock music forever with his look music etc...without him it would have been a boring 1970's... :)

I am a Ghost - I have the boot of that gig. What a great gig. The banter was hilarious and you can hear the lads shouting "I wanna shag yer wife David" as Iman was sitting in one of the boxes. Two hours - Yep top form but even better he played for three hours with the Reality gig in Dublin.

Can't beat the old Dublin wit! No wonder we produced Wilde, Joyce, Beckett etc etc ;)

The Reality gig was super, but prefer ye ancient Olympia..

My knowledge of his works is limited to Ziggy, but as far as that goes I could say I like Bowie. What do you people consider his best album?

I'm a Bowie fan since 1972 and he was the coolest rock star ever and i hated his 1980's albums but loved the "Outside" album from 1995 and he changed the face of rock music forever with his look music etc...without him it would have been a boring 1970's... :)

Try 2002 Heathen?

I've been a huge fan, basically since I saw his "Boys Keep Swinging" video in 1979. I became a Morrissey fan years after. Hopefully the rumours of him being in Berlin recording new material are true...

Try 2002 Heathen?

Sure i like "Heathen" too good album but the 1980's did suck with his most terrible album ever "Tonight"....and i saw him many many times live he is a stunning performer and did almost never cancel a gig for illness or something ...well untill he became really ill of his heart...so i saw him perform the last time in Amsterdam and it's not true he is recording in Berlin...he is home in NYC relaxing with wife and kid....who can blame him ??? he have nothing to prove anymore he is a legend something Morrissey never will be....sorry i'm a big fan of Moz but if i talk to someone about him no ones knows him..........but everyone knows David Bowie...yep !!!

Re: David Bowie

i have the complete bowie discography, and i hadnt played them on a very looong time.

so, today, i descided to give them a look, to sit down and let the tunes flow.

one word:

f***ING AMAZING!!!!!

oooops, 2 words!

well, the composition is beautiful, and bowie's voice is really over the top quality, its just amazing!!!!!!!!!

anybody else in here enjoys david's beautiful tunes?

Totally agree,Brian.

A total GENIUS !

First saw him on The Serious Moonlight tour not knowing too much about him.
It was like an alien had landed!
The next day i started investing in his back catalogue.
Then went on too see him a few other times including his great performance at Live Aid at Wembley:Heroes was WOW!

At the moment,i love Buddha Of Suburbia especially "The Mysteries":it sounds so fragile that it's going to break at any point.

In fact the whole album is a great continuation of Low.

The first album I ever bought was Ziggy Stardust, then Aladdin Sane, etc. Bowie's influence on modern music is staggering, probably as important as Hendrix or anyone else. I only saw him live once on the Serious Moonlight Tour in 1983 at Milton Keynes bowl. It wasn't the best phase of his career, but it was unforgettable. The man is a genius.

I'm down the front.Somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
A clip from Dublin Olympia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcMwDan9Z3Y

Maybe you’ve all heard it already but really if you like the instrumentals you check it out:

yeah,I've got Crystal Japan.
Like the banter video!
Also,like the way Bowie never uses his mic to SHOUT:always talks.
Class guy.

Really into Hours too just now:a grown up Bowie album

Right off to listen to " When I Live My Dream"

I Am A Ghost - I would’ve loved to have been at that. Great venue and such a small one for Bowie too. I’m not sure was there a mad scramble for tickets for it as I know not everyone was too keen on what Bowie was doing at that time with Earthling. Personally I love that stuff and the set list was better than the Reality gigs (which was fantastic just too many slow numbers). You didn’t catch Tin Machine or 'hours...' in Dublin no? I’ve a few live Dublin gigs on CD etc. and quite honestly they’re the most hilarious in terms of the banter. A clip from Dublin Olympia:

Tickets were sold out in seconds, minutes etc, but the ever-reliable Sound Cellar had my name down so all was good :thumb:

I think "Earthling" is a great album. "Reality" is great too, but as you say, the gigs didn't set the world on fire. "Outside" I cannot take to at all bar one or two tracks. But, I saw Morrissey on that tour :)

Tin Machine...ugh :(

"Outside" I cannot take to at all bar one or two tracks. But, I saw Morrissey on that tour :)

Tin Machine...ugh :(

What tracks are they specifically? I love 'I'm Deranged' from that album. Also 'Thru These Architects Eyes' and 'Outside', but I haven't listened to it in full for ages. The baby grace stuff was a bit cringeful.

I got a refund when I discovered that Mozz pulled out of the Manchester show of that tour - still regret that now.

Tin Machine was indeed a bit 'ughy', but he was even more ughy just before that and I think it was a needed stepping stone to get back into form.

Sure i like "Heathen" too good album but the 1980's did suck with his most terrible album ever "Tonight"....

Not his best album but this is one of my favorites:

I love and adore David Bowie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved this song -

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVTxH-gRUL8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVTxH-gRUL8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

What tracks are they specifically? I love 'I'm Deranged' from that album. Also 'Thru These Architects Eyes' and 'Outside', but I haven't listened to it in full for ages. The baby grace stuff was a bit cringeful.

I got a refund when I discovered that Mozz pulled out of the Manchester show of that tour - still regret that now.

Tin Machine was indeed a bit 'ughy', but he was even more ughy just before that and I think it was a needed stepping stone to get back into form.

The three singles really , I suppose. I found the whole concept he was doing with this album pretentious, to be honest. And it is a pity you missed Morrissey on that tour because, despite all the problems, he was quite, quite wonderful. :)

Also, try Philip Glass's two Bowie based symphonies, they are superb.

As its a Bowie thread. Fave Bowie film? Its The Man Who Fell To Earth for me. I find it so poignant.

Back
Top Bottom