The David Bowie appreciation thread

marilyn manson

came to see the mOBSCENE
David Bowie

i have the complete bowie discography, and i hadnt played them on a very looong time.

so, today, i descided to give them a look, to sit down and let the tunes flow.

one word:

f***ING AMAZING!!!!!

oooops, 2 words!

well, the composition is beautiful, and bowie's voice is really over the top quality, its just amazing!!!!!!!!!

anybody else in here enjoys david's beautiful tunes?

Re: David Bowie

listened to the greatest hits on the way to a dj gig this weekend. everytime i listen to it i think "f*** me - why aren't i listening to bowie more regularly?!" to this day i still cannae get enough of "heroes", both the single and the album.

oh yes! Saw him last time he came here, think it was 2004...I love the Reality album and go through stages of craving to hear 'Sorrow' and 'Sound and Vision' as well as my all time fave 'Life on Mars?'

He is my absolute favourite artist. I too own the complete discography. I can't express how much I love him and his work.

He is, indeed, wonderful. I saw him in the Dublin Olympia a few years back, small venue, he was unbelievable and played for at least 2 hours.
As an aside, I coincidentally happened to be listening over the last few days to the renowned American composer Philip Glass' two symphonies based on Bowie albums, The "Low" Symphony and The "Heroes" Symphony. Extremely impressive. Seek them out, if you can.

David Bowie - Low is definitely one of the most important records. So influential, I'm sure way beyond the seeming popularity of the record. I mean, even though it has at least a couple of hits it is still pretty far out there but I'm sure that this record was heard by a lot of people that were very happening at that time. It definitely was a big record for Eno and no doubt very important to his career as a producer.

I had Changes One Bowie on vinyl when I was a little kid and I didn't really take time out to realize that it was a collection. I still hear it as an album and it's a classic. :D Lots of Bowie is uneven for me. I will love some songs and just not get others at all. But Low is good all the way through and the sounds hold up to this day. For a record that owes so much of its style to its production, it is remarkable that the sound hasn't dated as on so many records from that time. It's too bad he didn't do more with John Lennon because Fame is one of the best songs ever.

Bowie is just the best. I saw him in Manchester in the infamous tour when Moz pulled out as the support. Sadly thats the only time I've seen him in concert. Looks like I'll be rooting all my old "tapes" and vinyl out of the attic later now and having a Bowie session!!

I'm not a huge Bowie fan, well I like the singles and a few other tunes

But Low is an quality album the production (is it Brian Eno?) is amazing

just noticed 'Dave' has made this point already oh well

One of my heroes. The first record I ever bought of his was "The World of David Bowie", which was a collection of material he recorded from 1967-70. I thought it was just amazing, and with every record I purchased after that it just kept on getting better. "The Man Who Sold the World" is still one of my favourite albums, 20 years on. I will never, ever get tired of listening to this extraordinary man. :)

I first saw him at the Riverside Studio in 2003 and then at the NEC in the same year. I also saw him at Wembley in 2003 and at the 2004 Isle of Wight festival and they the best experiences of my life. He is curating a festival in New York next June which is going to culminate with him doing a set so who knows, maybe an album and tour will follow. I bloody hope so.... :D

you shut your mouth.. who doesn't like Bowie?
if there's one thing he should be credited for is for making glam rock likable to people with poor musical taste. the man's wonderful.

This is weird, because I've been a huge Bowie fan from the age of 14. He was really the hero that made me listen to decent music, as it were, and I found his ideas about rock theatre, or what you might call it, so cool. You can't be dull on stage, so you better act, and here was this other-wordly guy that was so good at it.

Then after discovering Morrissey/Smiths I saw the video clip of them singing "Cosmic Dancer" - I thought it would be so cool seeing two people you admire so much both on stage, right? But their performance was just so weird, and I hate to say it, but Morrissey just made Bowie look so contrived and phony.

They may have had something in common in that they both know how important it is to sell the artist and not just the music, also there was/is the sexual ambiguity and their appeal to everyone who felt "different".

But Morrissey's fans throw themselves on stage to kiss his feet, you get the feeling he's baring his soul and all that, that he is, as he once said, "launching his diary to music". And then in comes Bowie, the alien entertainer/businessman whom you really can't touch. Quite literally.

I mean, I love them both, but I thought the difference in image and personality is really obvious. Even though they both often get the "Oh, isn't he the weird gay icon with odd hair" tag.

Conversation Piece Lyrics
Artist(Band):David Bowie

I took this walk to ease my mind
To find out what's gnawing at me
Wouldn't think to look at me,
that I've spent a lot of time in education
It all seems so long ago
I'm a thinker, not a talker
I've no-one to talk to, anyway

I can't see the road
for the rain in my eyes
Ahhh ...