The Cure debut new songs

This would be an optimal time to drop the album given the press.

I’ll put this here so Cure fans see it!

“Goth by Lol Tolhurst - Signed Edition​

Hand Signed by Lol Tolhurst
Hardback 1st Edition

£25.00

Goth by Lol Tolhurst - Signed Edition

Hand Signed by Lol Tolhurst
Hardback 1st Edition
New & Unread - Published 21st September 2023

GOTH is an entertaining and engaging historical memoir of the genre of Goth music and culture, exploring creative giants like The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, Joy Division and many more great bands that offered a place of refuge for the misfits of the 80s and ever since. Written by Lol Tolhurst, co-founder of The Cure, this book offers a fascinating deep dive into the movers and shakers of goth with stories and anecdotes from Tolhurst's personal memories as well as the musicians, magicians and artists who made it all happen - the people, places and events that made goth an inevitable and enduring movement.

Starting with the Origins of Goth, Tolhurst explores early art and literature that inspired the genre and looks into the work of T.S Eliot, Edgar Allan Poe, Sylvia Plath, Albert Camus and more. He also outlines the path of Gothic forebears and shows how many musicians played in punk bands before transitioning into goth endeavours. Next, he introduces readers to the 'Architects of Darkness' - Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division and The Cure - the godfathers of goth who established the genre's roots.

Following these early bands, Tolhurst discusses a group he calls the 'Spiritual Alchemists', consisting of bands like Depeche Mode, Cocteau Twins and more, who helped the darkness expand into the culture. He also tracks the expansion of the genre overseas, from England to New York, Los Angeles and beyond. Gothic fashion was an important part of the movement as well and Tolhurst discusses the clothing that accompanied and complemented the music. Finally, Tolhurst examines the legacy of goth music and shows how its influence can still be seen to this day across music, film, TV, visual arts, social media and so much more, finally concluding with 'Why Goth matters!'

About the Author: Lol Tolhurst is best known as co-founder of The Cure. Formed in 1976, The Cure is one of the most influential, successful and critically acclaimed bands of its generation.

Tolhurst is an inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and author of Cured: A Tale of Two Imaginary Boys.

Format: Hardback Edition
ISBN: 9781529424270

All our signed books include a 'Signed Copy' gift tag, supplied free of charge.”

Screenshot 2023-03-21 1.02.13 AM.png

Ticketmaster email refunds all say "This is all thanks to Robert Smith." LOL

New tour about to start. More new songs to debut maybe?

Going back to new music: What's the status of that being released? Can Cure fans expect a new album soon?

I would say it's imminent. [Laughs] Now whatever one considers imminent — even the band isn't sure because I think things evolve. Because we, in a way, committed what became a cardinal sin in the post-digital recording world, and even in the analog days, which was to play new songs live, where they could possibly be recorded or filmed. I mean, you can see five new songs on YouTube of varying quality. ... The live performance is affecting the mixes of the songs, because we tend to record every show, [and] if we want, we can actually use, like, one of Robert's guitar solos that he thinks is better than the guitar solo he did in the studio. ... I mean, I'm not sure if we're doing that yet, but we're aware that that possibility is there and that's kind of a new wrinkle to the art form. That's the upside of being able to have a traveling recording studio in a briefcase.

Read More: The Cure's Reeves Gabrels Talks New Tour, Ticketing and More | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ree...-2023/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Six Different Ways!

A Thousand Hours! Holy crap! Second time ever done live!

Amazing. But will they ever play One More Time live again? That one hasn’t been played since 1987 either. It’s in my Cure top 3. Criminally overlooked.

They've been soundchecking another new song called "Another Happy Birthday" that has been talked about since 1997. Not done live yet though:

1997 interview: https://www.mtv.com/news/uli0vs/home-is-where-robert-smiths-music-is

"Working with Reeves led me into an area where I've been talking with the rest of the group about my determination to work with outsiders," Smith said. "It will broaden our scope and allows me to experiment in ways that will change the way I write songs." Smith said he'd approached several collaborators already, but was not yet willing to reveal their identities. Among his favorite new songs so far is one called "Another Happy Birthday," which he described as "unlike anything the Cure have done before. It's not a verse-chorus-verse type of song, but more fluid."

They've been soundchecking another new song called "Another Happy Birthday" that has been talked about since 1997. Not done live yet though:

1997 interview: https://www.mtv.com/news/uli0vs/home-is-where-robert-smiths-music-is

"Working with Reeves led me into an area where I've been talking with the rest of the group about my determination to work with outsiders," Smith said. "It will broaden our scope and allows me to experiment in ways that will change the way I write songs." Smith said he'd approached several collaborators already, but was not yet willing to reveal their identities. Among his favorite new songs so far is one called "Another Happy Birthday," which he described as "unlike anything the Cure have done before. It's not a verse-chorus-verse type of song, but more fluid."

They did it!!!

Based off this demo apparently:

My try at the lyrics:

It's harder to hold on
With every passing year
As the memories fade
You slowly disappear

I try to keep you close
Alive in my heart
Though with no one there to hold me
I'm coming apart

And your birthday is the worst day