The Cure debut new songs

I never really could get into The Cure, aside from the few songs everyone seems to like. My best friend was a huge Robert Smith fans so we used to have debates about who was cooler and dreamier, Robert or Moz? She named one of her kids after Robert Smith :lbf:
I was always the same. I really liked their "hits", never really got into them like I did The Smiths, but I always wanted to see them.

My partner surprised me with tickets for my birthday, and we saw them in Leeds last week (got COVID for the 3rd time this year from that gig), and I honestly wish I had spent more time listening to them over the years. They were just absolutely incredible. Robert Smith's voice is amazing, and sounds as good as it does in a controlled studio environment. That nearly 3 hour set has ruined future gigs for me now, it was just that good. Absolutely mind blowing.

I was always the same. I really liked their "hits", never really got into them like I did The Smiths, but I always wanted to see them.

My partner surprised me with tickets for my birthday, and we saw them in Leeds last week (got COVID for the 3rd time this year from that gig), and I honestly wish I had spent more time listening to them over the years. They were just absolutely incredible. Robert Smith's voice is amazing, and sounds as good as it does in a controlled studio environment. That nearly 3 hour set has ruined future gigs for me now, it was just that good. Absolutely mind blowing.

I saw The Cure only once in Camden, New Jersey - in the rain for a 3 hour set, circa 2000/2001. It was incredible. The lineup was Robert, Simon, Perry, Roger, and Jason. What's cool is they basically have the same lineup again now, with the addition of Bowie/T.M.'s Reeves Gabrels, who is very sonically gifted.

I've been a huge fan of The Cure since the mid-90s. Their music has evolved so much over their 40 year career, where sometimes different Cure albums could sound like different bands altogether - which made it pretty special taking the journey through The Cure's discography. Even many of their B-Sides (similar to Morrissey's projects, like Girl Afraid/Forgive Someone) are really great (e.g. Chain of Flowers) and rank with their best tracks.

The new Cure songs are great, and to me sound like what Robert has been trying to sell us about the new album. I'm looking forward to it coming out ASAP, because it will probably be their last (supposedly).

The new Cure songs are great, and to me sound like what Robert has been trying to sell us about the new album. I'm looking forward to it coming out ASAP, because it will probably be their last (supposedly).
Actually there are three albums near completion: two The Cure albums and one solo record.

Saw them twice, once 2016 where they played over 3 hours including the extra long version of "A forest" and on their tour now with a set of nearly 3 hours. They are absolutely incredible live and as you said Robert's voice sounds just like on record. He seems to be a really nice dude too and the band just really likes each other joking on stage etc. Would totally recommend to see them live, you absolutely get your money's worth.

Last edited:
Breaking rumour:

'Songs of a lost world' is supposed to be released on 22nd April 2023 (Record Store Day) as a special Picture Disc double LP.

Regular editions planned to release a week later, 28th April.

Breaking rumour:

'Songs of a lost world' is supposed to be released on 22nd April 2023 (Record Store Day) as a special Picture Disc double LP.

Good lord, let this be true. 🙏🏻

Where have you heard this?

Breaking rumour:

Oh bloody hell. A new Cure album.
Just when you thought the 2020s couldn't possibly get any worse.

More info from reddit/twitter:

German phononet (online platform for record store owners & distros) is listing both 'Show' 30th anniversary double LP & 'tba' ('Songs of a lost world' maybe?)

Or maybe 'tba' is 'Paris' LP version?
That would be awesome, too.

German phononet (online platform for record store owners & distros) is listing both 'Show' 30th anniversary double LP & 'tba' ('Songs of a lost world' maybe?)

Agreed about Paris. That's a special concert.

A Show remaster with the intro tape music plus all the additional tracks like Walk and A Forest w/the long outro --- would be great as well. I still watch that concert every year or so. Pearl Thompson is a tremendous talent and added so much to the band's sound.

Thanks for posting this info.

Thanks! Keep the news coming whenever you find them! 🙏🏻

They have been playing Hungry Ghost from 4:13 on this tour, but nothing from the 2004 album.

4:13 was a good album overall. Pearl Thompson returning on guitar was a real gift - and you can really hear his addition on the whole album. For me, 4:13 had much more replay value than 'The Cure' from '04, which only hand a small handful of stand out tracks.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/music/whats-the-hold-up-on-the-cures-new-album-15727365

The Cure Has A Lot to Live Up to After Teasing New Album Songs of a Lost World

The band's most recent tour, beginning last October and ending in December, offered two- to three-hour-long performances including a few new tracks from the upcoming album. It was the first time the songs were played live, and much of the new music includes an air of grief and sadness, as several of Smith's family members, including his parents and brother, recently died. Smith has stated that all of these events contributed to the darkness of the album

"The album itself is a little bit more doom and gloom," Smith told NME back in 2019. "It hasn’t got any of those songs [like on Disintegration] that lighten the mood at all.”

Some fans might consider The Cure perpetually synonymous with the new wave movement of the 1980s and assume they reached their creative peak with Disintegration. And while those albums from the band's past are held dear — as tends to happen with artists who become synonymous with an era — their new material isn't on as many radars. Smith's nit-picking may be a response to his reckoning of being a figure frozen in time, even to those who send his Spotify plays sky-high each month.

But while Smith does have a lot to live up to on this upcoming album, it's pretty unlikely he'll produce a flop. Many fans of The Cure have always related to the music's darkness, laid out so poetically. If Songs of a Lost World has no "Pictures of You" or "Friday I'm In Love," who cares?

We just ask this: Robert, please step away from the editing booth some time this year and let fans share in the doom and gloom that makes The Cure the introspective force it is.

916-E1723-0-CD8-4-E3-F-B432-6-A53433-EF68-E.jpg

Anyone got any interesting new Cure info?

The latest is the above; that news is "imminent".
I just know that their new album will be their greatest since Disintegration. I have to have it. I can’t wait any longer.

Tags
robert smith the cure
Back
Top Bottom