The Cure debut new songs

4th new live song debuted, I Can Never Say Goodbye, about the death of his brother.

Does anybody have a good quality audio recording from the current tour? I am not on Dime, but maybe there's people in this group that have any recording they could share ?

Interesting to hear - do they still play songs from those two albums live, or do you think they agree wit the fans on this?
I know they play The Hungry Ghost, from
4:13 Dream. I should say that that is actually a pretty neat song. Typical moody Cure pop.

They premiered yet another new song in Krakow a few days ago. “I Could Never Say Goodbye”. According to Robert, it’s about his brother who actually lived in Krakow for several years and recently passed away. The song itself was absolutely devastating. I hope they release their album because it seems they have a masterpiece on their hands.

Amen to this. Those two albums are their worst.
You won't be surprised to hear that I disagree.
I love the 2004 The Cure album! Lost, Labyrinth, Anniversary, Us Or Them, Going Nowhere and especially The Promise are as good as anything on Kiss Me and Disintegration. They may not live and breathe on a solid album altogether like the two I just mentioned but as songs themselves they are fantastic. These songs are the closest the Cure have come to exploring that slithering middle eastern hypnotic sound I love from the Kiss Me album and the much earlier The Top. Most of the B sides form this album are top notch too, especially Fake.

I like the 4:13 Dream album also but not as much.
Underneath The Stars is a strong opening song. The Reasons Why is a good song too. Others I like are Siren Song, The Real Snow White, The Scream and It's Over. Yeah there are a few weak songs on it, that I will admit. I will concede that I'm not a huge fan of the singles from both of these albums.

As far as their worst album if I had to choose that would be Wild Mood Swings. It's just full of all of that playful twee circus music like Friday I'm in Love from Wish. I mean for god's sake what the hell was that album?

When I saw them here in Sydney in 2016 the show was amazing until the last long sprawl of crowd pleasers with the usual suspects os singles I can listen to in the car but not at a concert that goes for 3 hours.

Another new song done live, "A Fragile Thing".

You won't be surprised to hear that I disagree.
I love the 2004 The Cure album! Lost, Labyrinth, Anniversary, Us Or Them, Going Nowhere and especially The Promise are as good as anything on Kiss Me and Disintegration. They may not live and breathe on a solid album altogether like the two I just mentioned but as songs themselves they are fantastic. These songs are the closest the Cure have come to exploring that slithering middle eastern hypnotic sound I love from the Kiss Me album and the much earlier The Top. Most of the B sides form this album are top notch too, especially Fake.

I like the 4:13 Dream album also but not as much.
Underneath The Stars is a strong opening song. The Reasons Why is a good song too. Others I like are Siren Song, The Real Snow White, The Scream and It's Over. Yeah there are a few weak songs on it, that I will admit. I will concede that I'm not a huge fan of the singles from both of these albums.

As far as their worst album if I had to choose that would be Wild Mood Swings. It's just full of all of that playful twee circus music like Friday I'm in Love from Wish. I mean for god's sake what the hell was that album?

When I saw them here in Sydney in 2016 the show was amazing until the last long sprawl of crowd pleasers with the usual suspects os singles I can listen to in the car but not at a concert that goes for 3 hours.
I agree that those songs from s/t are all good. To me, they’re just not good enough, I guess. And there is still a lot shit on that record. Also agree about the b-sides. This Morning is my favorite. Stunning doesn’t cover it.

I also like most of the songs you mention from 4:13, except UtS (poor man’s Plainsong) and RSW (just boring). But again, not good enough. Far from it.

Also find the production on both albums to be too dry, suffocating.

I’m one of those people that find WMS to be grossly underrated. Sure, there are lots of crappy songs on it, but the good ones are great! Jupiter Crash is my favorite. Bare, Treasure, This is a Lie, Numb and Want are also fantastic. And Strange Attraction is one of my favorite pop songs by The Cure.

Hear what you’re saying re the live sets. I’ve seen them twice and was disappointed both times. My first time was in 2008 and they didn’t have a keyboard. Second time was 2016. Both sets were uptempo and pop heavy.

Welp, the tour just finished tonight. Hopefully the new album announcement is imminent.

IEM soundboard recordings of the new songs:

I’m one of those people that find WMS to be grossly underrated. Sure, there are lots of crappy songs on it, but the good ones are great! Jupiter Crash is my favorite. Bare, Treasure, This is a Lie, Numb and Want are also fantastic. And Strange Attraction is one of my favorite pop songs by The Cure.

Hear what you’re saying re the live sets. I’ve seen them twice and was disappointed both times. My first time was in 2008 and they didn’t have a keyboard. Second time was 2016. Both sets were uptempo and pop heavy.
Discarding the synths in 2008 was a terrible move, but I really liked the 2016 concert in Helsinki. They played no less than 9 songs from Disintegration, so I definitely wouldn't call that gig too pop heavy, even though they loaded the last encore with all their pop hits, as is their wont.

WMS is indeed underrated, but since it was a delayed album after a long string of great albums, it did indeed disappoint many people. Horrible single choices didn't help the album either. But if one replaced the dross on the album with some of the b-sides of that era, it would have been a good album. Not as great as Wish or Disintegration, since formula had begun to creep in, but still a very enjoyable album.

IEM soundboard recordings of the new songs:

I continue to be amazed with this form of bootleg.
Time marches on, but I never thought getting information direct from instruments would ever be a thing.
The Morrissey one shared was quite the revelation.
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
robert smith the cure
Back
Top Bottom