The complete Smiths poster collection?

G

Gentleman's relish

Does anyone know, or know where I can see, what constitutes the definitive, complete Smiths poster collection? Should it include Louder then Bombs, for example? Thoughts? Thanks!

Something like this?

1. Hand in Glove

2. This Charming Man

3. What Difference Does It Make?

4. William, It Was Really Nothing

5. Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now

6. The Smiths

7. Hand in Glove (Sandie Shaw)

8. Hatful of Hollow

9. How Soon is Now?

10. The Boy With The Thorn in His Side

11. Meat is Murder

12. Shakespeare’s Sister

13. That Joke Isn’t Funny Any More

14. Bigmouth Strikes Again

15. The Queen Is Dead

16. Panic

17. Panic (handwritten lyrics)

18. Ask

19. Shoplifters Of The World Unite

20. The World Won’t Listen

21. Louder Than Bombs

22. Sheila Take A Bow

23. Strangeways Here We Come

24. Girlfriend In A Coma

25. I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish

26. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

27. Rank

Does anyone know, or know where I can see, what constitutes the definitive, complete Smiths poster collection? Should it include Louder then Bombs, for example? Thoughts? Thanks!
Toughie to be honest.
Some collect only the finite amount of promo posters relating to singles etc.
Some collect all variants of promo poster and that can become very overwhelming.
A search through PJLM just for posters will give you an idea (ignore the solo ones):
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:passionsjustlikemine.com+poster
Obviously, there's non-Cartel ones to add to the choice and post-split promotion too.
Depends on your own view really.
The 'easiest' approach would probably aim for a set of the Cartel posters - part of that searching and sifting will probably put you in contact with people likely to have other promo posters.
Then there's the original/reproduction debate to add also.
The original Cartel ones framed do look awesome IMHO.
Best of luck.
FWD.

Edit:
Have a feeling that someone on Solo runs this site - worth a look to get the yearly breakdown:
http://www.thesmiths.cat/colleccio-posters/
(not an endorsement of the shop, just pictorial reference).

Last edited:
Thanks very much. TBH, I made the list on the basis of the Smiths.cat and I have bought a poster from there. I was just interested in other views on what the 'complete' collection might look like. Maybe there isn't one!

Thanks very much. TBH, I made the list on the basis of the Smiths.cat and I have bought a poster from there. I was just interested in other views on what the 'complete' collection might look like. Maybe there isn't one!

What posters are you talking about? Rough Trade Cartel Posters? You basically just listed every one of them. Couple of variants to note, There’s 2 versions of HIG, one with the Dome logo top left corner and one without, also 2 versions of HSIN, most are found with the Cartel credit cropped off the bottom. The uncropped version is much rarer.

Wouldn’t buy off smithscat tbh, eBay is much cheaper for posters.

What posters are you talking about? Rough Trade Cartel Posters? You basically just listed every one of them. Couple of variants to note, There’s 2 versions of HIG, one with the Dome logo top left corner and one without, also 2 versions of HSIN, most are found with the Cartel credit cropped off the bottom. The uncropped version is much rarer.

Wouldn’t buy off smithscat tbh, eBay is much cheaper for posters.
Thank you, far better summated than my rambling.
Regards,
FWD.

I left a rolled up full size poster of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side in the left luggage room at Leamington Spa Railway Station in the summer of 1988. Never got over it. That better not be the one on smithscat going for 650 quid!

http://vulgarpicture.com/

It was de-googled, but it is still there and has most/all of the original Rough Trade posters as decent sized jpegs.

Interesting to look through, thanks. Off-topic, but it looks like the last 12" single released by Moz was the "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy" picture disc in 2006, though one could argue that it an EP, and the last proper 12" was "First of the Gang to Die" in 2004. Either way, that's a long time ago...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If anyone is interested in this complete set of posters, I have a set that I'd consider selling.

They are permanently mounted on wooden backboards -- I didn't think I'd be selling them. That said, they look stunning.

My collection appeared in the NME 10-15 years ago.

Now then, I don't suppose anyone has a spare Panic poster (handwritten lyrics) burning a hole in their living room wall?

Thanks!

Complete?

Smiths Bigmouth Strikes Again poster rarity.jpg

Interesting to look through, thanks. Off-topic, but it looks like the last 12" single released by Moz was the "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy" picture disc in 2006, though one could argue that it an EP, and the last proper 12" was "First of the Gang to Die" in 2004. Either way, that's a long time ago...
Don’t forget Satellite of Love (2013)

Back
Top Bottom