"The Boy With The Thorn..." (Demo) - second best selling vinyl single of RSD

It was officially the second-best selling single of RSD2017

Record Store Day 2017 uncovered: the best-selling vinyl albums and singles revealed - Official Charts
Record Store Day was all about the legendary David Bowie.

The best-selling vinyl singles of Record Store Day 2017 are:

1 NO PLAN DAVID BOWIE
2 THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE THE SMITHS
3 INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE PINK FLOYD
4 RED HILL MINING TOWN U2
5 STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER BEATLES

Last edited by a moderator:
Means nothing. The majority of copies were bought by non fans, for the sole purpose of re-selling for a profit.

It means something cause why would they buy it if they didn't have the expectation, or hope they could re-sell it for profit?
Same goes for the other artists.

I'm actually surprised it beat U2.

I can hardly wait for the TTY post about this monumental achievement.

No 12" sales figures? The 7"s are mixed together with 12"s. There were a lot of 12" vinyl this RSD. I managed to get the Prince set and was wondering how they did.
The prices appearing on Ebay are quite obscene. We can't really escape our capitalist construct, but some people go beyond. Such is life.

"Johnny Marr criticised "eBay tossers" re-selling his Record Store Day release for an inflated price back in 2015.
Writing on Twitter, he condemned anyone who sold copies online at a higher cost.
"Do not pay inflated prices for I Feel You on eBay," he added. "It’s a rip off & not in the spirit of RSD. Johnny #screwthetouts."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ale-prince-david-bowie-the-cure-a7696661.html

Regards,
FWD.
(apologies, I think The Independent has an advert gate).

Last edited:
Agreed. Much like the scalpers who grab concert/sport tickets to events they know will be popular.

There's 100's of copies left unsold on discogs/ebay and various other online sites. Therefore it's a bit hollow compliment to say it's the #2 best selling single.

I'm actually surprised it beat U2.

I can hardly wait for the TTY post about this monumental achievement.

Yes. Funny but still relevant as relevance seems to be very relevant. :)
But it is The Smiths. Would it be more relevant to Moz then to the fans of The Smiths and/or Moz?
I'd say, the same!
Triumphs from the past can be still relevant in a historical view. :thumb:

Of course Bowie sold more copies than The Smiths. There were more Bowie pressings for sale. Did you really think The Wild Turkey couldn't do the math?

Last edited:
From the same RSD chart article:
"Interestingly however, if only sales of the David's RSD exclusive variant are counted, it is The Smiths' The Boy With The Thorn In His Side that tops the list."
I'm sure that'll cheer Moz up :)
There were 12,000 copies of The Smiths singles sold - doesn't appear to be any Bowie figures for No Plan.
Regards,
FWD.

From the same RSD chart article:
"Interestingly however, if only sales of the David's RSD exclusive variant are counted, it is The Smiths' The Boy With The Thorn In His Side that tops the list."
I'm sure that'll cheer Moz up :)
There were 12,000 copies of The Smiths singles sold - doesn't appear to be any Bowie figures for No Plan.
Regards,
FWD.

I thought there were 5000 pressed?

I thought there were 5000 pressed?
20170425_213047.png

12k pressed in total. The total amount made and UK records sold are mutually inclusive events regardless of which charts...

Last edited:
Congrats to the best sellers. Being behind the deceased Bowie means a lot.

TTY is surely no more if this wasn't posted. Sigh. No more champagne induced rants, photo montages, video clips, "Morrissey wishes to...".

I haven't got what I wanted though I'm pleased all copies are sold.

it still shows what an influence The Smiths had in a relative short period, comparing to Bowie and U2.

while I drown in misery, when is the next record store day:oops:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom