The Boy With A Stitch In His Side - Support Salford Lads Club

Re: The Boy With A Stitch In His Side

Hello Everyone

Hope you're well, enjoying building snowpeople and keeping warm.

Unfortunately a touch of Man Flu and the sudden seasonal weather has slowed up training but all is going well. I'm comfortably running 7.5 miles in 50 minutes so that is where I would want to be at this point in my training, however the challenge now will be to maintain that pace over a distance.

My first competitive race of the training programme will take place on Saturday 14th February at the London 10K Valentine's Love Run in Battersea Park. Though this is not a great distance it will be good to get a race under my belt and it will only be a month until the Silverstone Half Marathon on March 15th.

In addition to the hard work that goes into training, an equal amount has to go into fundraising and this is where you can help! I understand that many people are tightening their belts (sorry for all the belt analogies) so it would be good to get as many people as possible to sponsor me 50p/£1 a mile. I wouldn't say no to more but I really want everyone to feel like they can contribute. I want to raise as much as possible for the Salford Lads Club :)

To sponsor me couldn't be simpler, simply click the link below

www.justgiving.com/boywithastitchladsclub

Please email me once you have done so I can add your name to the blog, I trust people keep up to date via the website www.boywithastitch.com please visit regularly and you can show your support by visiting my facebook group, http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=114878275219&ref=ts

Please keep in touch, I'm grateful for all the support I've received and if you fancy a run, then give me a bell ;)

Best Wishes!

My first race!

On Saturday I did the Love 10kin Battersea Park, it took 47.33 mins to run the 10k (a marathon is 43k, 26.2 miles) so all going well in the build up to the London Marathon on 26th April.

Thought I would share a couple of pictures.

sdc10885.jpg

sdc10886.jpg
Please, Please, Please keep an eye on the website (www.boywithastitch.com) and sign up to the facebook group, it would be nice to get 100 members.

In fact if I could get 100 soloers to sponsor me just a tenner ($14.50) then it will be easy to raise £1000 for the lads club, http://www.justgiving.com/boywithastitchladsclub

Cheers everyone!!

The training is going well - the sponsorship is not!!:(

I have only managed to raise £50 for the lads club so far, not great!!

Please dig deep but remember no amount is too small, it would be great to get 100 soloers to sponsor me £10 each!! You can do it online at www.justgiving.com/boywithastitchladsclub :thumb:

Also please drop me a message or email once you have sponsored me so I can send you an excluisive Salford Lads Club thank you post card! :cool:

I won't give up easy!! :p

With just a week to go to the Silverstone ‘alf marathon training is going really well. I plan on running the distance of the race today (Monday) and again on Thursday. Leaving Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday for light sessions.

It’s said that to work out your full marathon time then you need to double your half marathon time and add twenty minutes, so I guess I’m aiming for something between 1:30 - 1:45 next Sunday. It is an honest surface as it used for the F1 so I hope to be able to achieve a good time - fingers crossed.

Due to my hard work I treated myself to Saturday off and went campaigning with my excellent local MP, Jim Fitzpatrick, oh and he is also a big West ‘am fan!!

sdc10913.jpg

Thanks again for all the sponsorship and please keep it coming - please remember no amount is too small. We have rasied only £75 for the lads club so far :tears: :tears: :tears: but you can change that, just donate a tenner at www.justgiving.com/boywithastitchladsclub

I wonder if the mods will make this into a sticky? It well and truly deserves some recognition and suppport.

Come payday on Friday, I will donate some money to your cause Virgil, no problem whatsoever.

Re: The Boy With A Stitch In His Side

Thank You Dunya!!

A very kind donation - :):thumb:

Virgil
Apologies..... you asked me to plug this the other day..... been busy changing nappies, watching City trash their way through Europe and a bit of media whoring.....
Bung me down for £20

Jukebox Jury
(ps back in 1986 when I was beer belly free and 23 years younger, I did a 10K in 43 minutes:cool: - never ran a half marathon and obviously a marathon, much to my regret. used to run 5 miles a day when I was unemployed from 83-86:thumb: then I got a job and never carried it on......)

Jukebox Jury

I finished my half marathon on Sunday on 1:35:04!!!

So that gives me a target for April 26th of 3:30:08

Also a massive thank you to Basia and Joy :thumb::thumb: we are now up to £96.22 - still a look way to Moz fans!!

Last edited:
On Sunday I took part in my first ever long distance race of not only of this training programme but pretty much, well, erm, ever. It was at Silverstone F1 racetrack in Northamptonshire.

I thought the track would be flat but it was surprisingly hilly, not simply around the track but also the service roads and even the car park. The start of the race was delayed 15 minutes, which is frustrating as you start your preparation 30 minutes before you start, so you are left in limbo for 15 minutes.

Once off I managed to keep a steady pace accept between miles 2 and 3 where I had to tie my laces (I knew I had forgotten something) and had to take a Gypsies (it's cockney rhyming slang) but managed to make up the time. I got across at a clock time 01:36:45 but forgot to stop my personal watch. Wearing the famous (and lets face it - beautiful) Claret and Blue meant I had a few cheers on the way round as well as plenty of boos! :)Feeling good I enjoyed my 78 bottles of water at the finish;)

image_server.cfm

image_server.cfm

image_server.cfm

image_server.cfm

Please note that the old fella - did indeed - overtake me

My official time was 01:35:04, the the extra four seconds really hunts me. But I guess I'm pleased with the run and how I felt after, able to run, row and swim on Monday.

Thanks to everyone who sent me good luck messages before hand, I'm really looking forward to April 26th now.

Please keep in touch and please keep the sponsorship coming, it's nice to read and remember your comments when I'm out running :thumb:, www.justgiving.com/boywithastitchladsclub

On Sunday I took part in my first ever long distance race of not only of this training programme but pretty much, well, erm, ever. It was at Silverstone F1 racetrack in Northamptonshire.

I thought the track would be flat but it was surprisingly hilly, not simply around the track but also the service roads and even the car park. The start of the race was delayed 15 minutes, which is frustrating as you start your preparation 30 minutes before you start, so you are left in limbo for 15 minutes.

Once off I managed to keep a steady pace accept between miles 2 and 3 where I had to tie my laces (I knew I had forgotten something) and had to take a Gypsies (it's cockney rhyming slang) but managed to make up the time. I got across at a clock time 01:36:45 but forgot to stop my personal watch. Wearing the famous (and lets face it - beautiful) Claret and Blue meant I had a few cheers on the way round as well as plenty of boos! :)Feeling good I enjoyed my 78 bottles of water at the finish;)

image_server.cfm

image_server.cfm

image_server.cfm

image_server.cfm

Please note that the old fella - did indeed - overtake me

My official time was 01:35:04, the the extra four seconds really hunts me. But I guess I'm pleased with the run and how I felt after, able to run, row and swim on Monday.

Thanks to everyone who sent me good luck messages before hand, I'm really looking forward to April 26th now.

Please keep in touch and please keep the sponsorship coming, it's nice to read and remember your comments when I'm out running :thumb:, www.justgiving.com/boywithastitchladsclub

congrats on a good time.
your training is definitely going better than mine.
I've never run further than 9 miles before, and I've had a knee injury for 18 months.
however, my physio still reckons I should give it a go!

congrats on a good time.
your training is definitely going better than mine.
I've never run further than 9 miles before, and I've had a knee injury for 18 months.
however, my physio still reckons I should give it a go!

Thanks mate - it was a real surprise, I was hoping for 1:45 - 1:50!!

What time did you give when you got your place?

Thanks mate - it was a real surprise, I was hoping for 1:45 - 1:50!!
What time did you give when you got your place?

I think I put something like 3-3.15. When I entered 18 months ago, I was running 37 minute 10k’s so was on good form.
However, I’ve been injured since then and put on a stone! Hardly done any training (9 miles is my furthest).
If I can get up to 13 or maybe 15 without aggravating the injury, will give the marathon a go as I’ve never done one before and can’t defer my place another year.
Don’t know what time I’d finish in-sub 4 if I’m lucky. Won’t be running at your pace though unless you have a very bad day!

Your welcome. I'm always up for supporting the SLC. Besides I could never run a marathon. Good luck.

I think I put something like 3-3.15. When I entered 18 months ago, I was running 37 minute 10k’s so was on good form.
However, I’ve been injured since then and put on a stone! Hardly done any training (9 miles is my furthest).
If I can get up to 13 or maybe 15 without aggravating the injury, will give the marathon a go as I’ve never done one before and can’t defer my place another year.
Don’t know what time I’d finish in-sub 4 if I’m lucky. Won’t be running at your pace though unless you have a very bad day!

I'm going for long run tomorrow - not at my normal pace, just time on feet, if you fancy it.

I'm going for long run tomorrow - not at my normal pace, just time on feet, if you fancy it.

hey, thanks for the offer. I'm planning on doing my first run over 10 miles on Sunday tho.
have to try and get gate/fence fixed tomorrow. blew down whilst I was on holiday!
have a good run.

Good on yer fella - I couldn't imagine running 26 miles, let alone actually doing it - £10 duly sent.

Dave

ps I only found this after it had been made a sticky. But why on earth is it in off topic? - surely "events" would be more appropriate??

Good on yer fella - I couldn't imagine running 26 miles, let alone actually doing it - £10 duly sent.

Dave

ps I only found this after it had been made a sticky. But why on earth is it in off topic? - surely "events" would be more appropriate??

Hi Dave

Thank you so much for the tenner :thumb: we're now over £100, but only have a month to go so £1000 is looking a bit ambitious :(. PM me your address so I can drop you a thank you postcard.

Don't forget the Lads Club on Payday this Friday folks! :) you can donate online at www.justgiving.com/boywithastitchladsclub

Thanks

Mark x

Back
Top Bottom