The best album to introduce a non-fan to

alma matters

I don't have any friends who like, or really even know Moz. My best friend knows him through my listening to him alot but seems to think his best features are his quiff and accent, not his wonderful music.

I want to introduce some of my friends to the wonders of Moz. The song that i heard first and got me hooked was "Suedehead", so maybe Viva Hate is a good place to start...but lately I've been so obsessed with Vauxhall I thought of that one (it hasn't left my cd player in over a week, its always been one of my faves, but lately its been extra special). I definitely don't want to use Quarry or ROTT first, as I want to stick with the older material. I figure Viva, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall.

What song got you hooked (if it wasn't The Smiths)? What would you play first for a friend who really didn't know who Moz was?

I don't think "Viva Hate" would be the best place to start.

Honestly, I would get a non-fan started with "The Best of Morrissey" or "Bona Drag"--they're both chock-full of very catchy songs that are relatively "easy to digest".

Then, once the non-fan has listened to these and become a fan, he/she will be more than ready for "Viva Hate".

Depends what the friend likes but if they are into pop music I'd go with Your Arsenal as it's the most rock/pop and probably least difficult album.

Viva Hate is more for people who are into Morrissey already.

One of the compilations, or better still make a compilation with the 'catchy' song. If they like that, they're more likely to sit through 'The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils' ;)

my friend was/isn't a fan of the smiths but he bought Your Arsenal as he liked the singles (yes it is going back a bit)
why don't you do a comp of the best stuff you like and start from there!

"Kill Uncle"?

I'm joking of course!

As far as The Smiths are concerned, I think the answer to your question is the album "The Queen Is Dead".

Moz solo? Depends what other music they're into. If they tend to go for rock bands, then I'd recommend "Your Arsenal". Pop? Try "Bona Drag". If all else fails, try "Vauxhall and I" and/or "You Are The Quarry".

morrissey - bona drag (interesting drug, suedehead, everyday is like sunday, hairdresser, etc)
the smiths - louder than bombs (ask, sheila, shoplifters, etc)

'You are the Quarry', 'Vauxhall&I', 'The Queen is dead' and 'Bona Drag' in that order.

If that doesn't do it, nothing will...

I totally think that a Best Of album would be the absoulote best way to start off, because it has all the popular, and general songs, that lots of people like, I first got the best of albums and fell in love with them ( Best of Smiths 1,2 best of morrissey suede head and then the revised one) I loved them so, then when I got the other albums I accepted the songs and the way they were so different from the popular ones, When I understood Moz in my own way and loved him, I pretty much loved all the other albums.

though u don't want to, the album should be YATQ

on the other hand, The Smiths... mmm... i think that album should be Hatful Of Hollow...

Know many who have been scared away and damaged for life since hearing YATQ even if one acctually came to his senses after hearing ROTT, strange.

You could make him/her one with the most easily loved Moz/Smiths songs... This Charming Man, Panic, Heaven Knows..., Irish Blood...:)

I actually wouldn't recommend giving a Greatest Hits album to someone first, I got that album as an introduction to Morrissey and I really only played the first six songs and the rest merged into each other somehow. I don't think they got the track listing on 'Suedehead- Best Of' right at all, and once I actually heard the songs in their rightful places on the original albums it all made a lot more sense to me and I suddenly appreciated them far more.

It was hearing Quarry that got me hooked on Morrissey, so I'm quite biased towards that. I did get one of my friends into him by making a compilation of my favourite tracks off each album, and then the ones she liked, I lent the according albums (Quarry & Vauxhall). And now she loves him too and is out there buying all the albums for herself, a pretty successful conversion :D

Morrissey solo - Vauxhall and I
The Smiths - Queen is dead or Strangeways, here we come.

They should be able to get that lot for £15, and they should be happy about that.

Back
Top Bottom