The Aquarian IANADOAC review by Vinny Cecolini

https://www.theaquarian.com/2020/04...-nelson-promise-of-the-real-dinosaur-eyelids/

A bit late in the day, but here's a very positive review of the album by Vinny Cecolini in The Aquarian (alongside reviews of albums by Pearl Jam, The Strokes, etc):

Yes, Morrissey has aged into a curmudgeon. His recent politically incorrect comments have alienated a lot of people, including some of his ardent, long-time fans. Although inappropriate, I compare his cantankerous rantings to that of an elderly man yelling at neighborhood kids to get off his lawn. So, instead of turning our collective backs to, and noses up at Moz, let’s embrace him and appreciate that we still have him. Especially when he is capable of creating an album that some may eventually mistake for a latter-day greatest hits collection. Yes, the blunt, “in your face” I Am Not a Dog on a Chain is his best work in decades. Working again with long-time collaborator Joe Chiccarelli, Moz delves into all his musical sides. From the ‘80s alternative pop of “Jim Jim Falls” to the trademark Morrissey melancholy of “Love is on Its Way Out,” there seems to be a potential hit at every turn. And the soulful “Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?” is quickly becoming my favorite Morrissey solo recording. Lyrically, Moz remains stubborn and steadfast in his ways, taking occasional swipes at his critics and the media, especially on the hysterically indignant, but infectiously catchy title track. While “Knockabout World” is Moz confronting himself in the mirror over his recent controversy, “What Kind of People Live in These Houses” could have easily lived on a Smiths’ album. Now what could be more appetizing than that?

The commercial failure of Dog on a Chain is nothing to do with BMG, and everything to do with Morrissey's support for far-right extremists, and telling the world he prefers his own race. Radio stations no longer feel they can promote new songs by a person they view as a toxic, bigoted extremist. On the very rare occasions when they do play a new song, they have to issue a disclaimer about not supporting his views. It won't fare well in the end of year polls as it averaged between 6 and 7 out of 10, and there is zero chance of a Mercury nomination. He's made his bed...
Not YOU again!!!

The commercial failure of Dog on a Chain is nothing to do with BMG, and everything to do with Morrissey's support for far-right extremists, and telling the world he prefers his own race. Radio stations no longer feel they can promote new songs by a person they view as a toxic, bigoted extremist. On the very rare occasions when they do play a new song, they have to issue a disclaimer about not supporting his views. It won't fare well in the end of year polls as it averaged between 6 and 7 out of 10, and there is zero chance of a Mercury nomination. He's made his bed...
Fair points all. The only thing that can rescue the album commercially would be if a song was included in a successful soundtrack.

Every thing you have said in this post is true, and fair..... except he didn't say he prefers his own race, he meant, or I took it to mean , that poles, Indians, Chinese, stick to their own kind.....,, as do the English, or Scottish... if you have taken that to be a racist comment, then this is why the world just can't ever get on.....

I would disagree, I think a push by BMG for one of the singles most notably KW would've given the album the positive PR this quality album deserved and most likely more sales from the more casual fans. My point on the Mercury is that of all the albums released this year thus far if they were nominating based on quality I think it would have a chance...I know its not gonna happen given his current persona non grata status and with most reviews taking negative headline quotes (most out of context) the fact that he even got averages of 6.5 scores is a surprise and possibly indicates they may have actually liked the music but not the artist....bottom line its a great album and unfortunatly most likely the last album from a transformational artist that has been making great music for over 35 years.... not a bad result...albeit a sad ending. As a fan for the majority of those years I won't be deserting him anytime soon on the back of any media driven witch hunt.

I would disagree, I think a push by BMG for one of the singles most notably KW would've given the album the positive PR this quality album deserved and most likely more sales from the more casual fans. My point on the Mercury is that of all the albums released this year thus far if they were nominating based on quality I think it would have a chance...I know its not gonna happen given his current persona non grata status and with most reviews taking negative headline quotes (most out of context) the fact that he even got averages of 6.5 scores is a surprise and possibly indicates they may have actually liked the music but not the artist....bottom line its a great album and unfortunatly most likely the last album from a transformational artist that has been making great music for over 35 years.... not a bad result...albeit a sad ending. As a fan for the majority of those years I won't be deserting him anytime soon on the back of any media driven witch hunt.
I agree re Knockabout World in that it's the most radio friendly out of the three instant grats (still not sure if any of them are singles) and I can see even the most casual of fans humming along if it had made daytime radio. You're absolutely correct with you're last sentence and it's been backed on antisocial media by the usual ragbag faux outrage brigade who just won't let it go, pathetic the lot of 'em.

Every thing you have said in this post is true, and fair..... except he didn't say he prefers his own race, he meant, or I took it to mean , that poles, Indians, Chinese, stick to their own kind.....,, as do the English, or Scottish... if you have taken that to be a racist comment, then this is why the world just can't ever get on.....

I'm afraid he didn't say 'stick to their own kind' and, if he had, he wouldn't be in anything like the mess he's got himself into (across the board radio/record shop/nightclub boycotts, unprecedented mass fan-desertion, worst ever sales, etc). He did actually say 'prefers their own race'. A fair point could indeed have been made about people generally sticking to their own kind. At my local Pizza Hut on a Sunday night, most of the customers are Asian, at the swimming pool they're nearly all white, groups of black kids hang out together in my local town centre when the schools close etc. There is a sensible and nuanced discussion here to be had but bluntly saying that everyone prefers their own race is just bonkers, and has understandably proved to be massively damaging. It simply isn't true.

I'm afraid he didn't say 'stick to their own kind' and, if he had, he wouldn't be in anything like the mess he's got himself into (across the board radio/record shop/nightclub boycotts, unprecedented mass fan-desertion, worst ever sales, etc). He did actually say 'prefers their own race'. A fair point could indeed have been made about people generally sticking to their own kind. At my local Pizza Hut on a Sunday night, most of the customers are Asian, at the swimming pool they're nearly all white, groups of black kids hang out together in my local town centre when the schools close etc. There is a sensible and nuanced discussion here to be had but bluntly saying that everyone prefers their own race is just bonkers, and has understandably proved to be massively damaging. It simply isn't true.

So why are you going on about it then?
If you've decided what he said, and what he meant, then clearly you've made up your own mind about it all. I don't see the point in these sort of posts, unless it's just to practice your typing skills...or you persist with it just for someone to tell you that you are correct.
Now bog off.

So why are you going on about it then?
If you've decided what he said, and what he meant, then clearly you've made up your own mind about it all. I don't see the point in these sort of posts, unless it's just to practice your typing skills...or you persist with it just for someone to tell you that you are correct.
Now bog off.

I haven't 'decided what he's said', I've told you what he's said to clear up any misunderstanding. If he'd said 'different nationalities tend to stick to their own kind', no real problem. He didn't.
He said 'everyone prefers their own race' = a very big problem.

I agree re Knockabout World in that it's the most radio friendly out of the three instant grats (still not sure if any of them are singles) and I can see even the most casual of fans humming along if it had made daytime radio. You're absolutely correct with you're last sentence and it's been backed on antisocial media by the usual ragbag faux outrage brigade who just won't let it go, pathetic the lot of 'em.
Yep, Knockabout World, given the right promotion would’ve been a hit. It’s irresistible. And (though personally I listen to Houses more) it perhaps represents the retro-electro sound of the new album best.

I haven't 'decided what he's said', I've told you what he's said to clear up any misunderstanding. If he'd said 'different nationalities tend to stick to their own kind', no real problem. He didn't.
He said 'everyone prefers their own race' = a very big problem.

...we've heard it all before. You're just trying to convince yourself that you're right. Yours is just one of those circular pointless posts begging for an argument, which actually goes nowhere. Again, what's your point with the regurgitation?

Who are you trying to kid? There is no forum for ‘a sensible and nuanced discussion’. Any debate around immigration has been shut down—with one word—for half a century.

Who are you trying to kid? There is no forum for ‘a sensible and nuanced discussion’. Any debate around immigration has been shut down—with one word—for half a century.

The media & twitter taking a pull-quote & getting hysterical about it is hardly Morrissey's fault. Yeah, he could be more savvy, but the stupidity is theirs, not his. And if he has long-term fans who would go by the hysteria - more fool them.

Esp. as Labour has decided to detonate itself & all the 'nice' people on 'the left' are going to look awful. Of course the entire chattering class will exonerate itself, but anyone with a brain can see their monstering of Morrissey under the circumstances was a joke.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom