The Aquarian IANADOAC review by Vinny Cecolini

https://www.theaquarian.com/2020/04...-nelson-promise-of-the-real-dinosaur-eyelids/

A bit late in the day, but here's a very positive review of the album by Vinny Cecolini in The Aquarian (alongside reviews of albums by Pearl Jam, The Strokes, etc):

Yes, Morrissey has aged into a curmudgeon. His recent politically incorrect comments have alienated a lot of people, including some of his ardent, long-time fans. Although inappropriate, I compare his cantankerous rantings to that of an elderly man yelling at neighborhood kids to get off his lawn. So, instead of turning our collective backs to, and noses up at Moz, let’s embrace him and appreciate that we still have him. Especially when he is capable of creating an album that some may eventually mistake for a latter-day greatest hits collection. Yes, the blunt, “in your face” I Am Not a Dog on a Chain is his best work in decades. Working again with long-time collaborator Joe Chiccarelli, Moz delves into all his musical sides. From the ‘80s alternative pop of “Jim Jim Falls” to the trademark Morrissey melancholy of “Love is on Its Way Out,” there seems to be a potential hit at every turn. And the soulful “Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?” is quickly becoming my favorite Morrissey solo recording. Lyrically, Moz remains stubborn and steadfast in his ways, taking occasional swipes at his critics and the media, especially on the hysterically indignant, but infectiously catchy title track. While “Knockabout World” is Moz confronting himself in the mirror over his recent controversy, “What Kind of People Live in These Houses” could have easily lived on a Smiths’ album. Now what could be more appetizing than that?

What’s your favourite song GEM?
Hovis , I hope you found a scrap of hope and encouragement from my many play lists from the last few wonderfull quiet nights....... would you dare to be slightly interested as to what ive learned by compiling, going through cds that I hadn't heard for some years.. Half of the bloody things are missing, I must be 20% down on actual cds, I've got the box..... minus many of the discs..... will the world end in the day time.....

Hovis , I hope you found a scrap of hope and encouragement from my many play lists from the last few wonderfull quiet nights....... would you dare to be slightly interested as to what ive learned by compiling, going through cds that I hadn't heard for some years.. Half of the bloody things are missing, I must be 20% down on actual cds, I've got the box..... minus many of the discs..... will the world end in the day time.....
I don’t play my CD’s much these days. But they used to gather in piles, away from their boxes and become scratched and unplayable. On reflection, the CD was a crappy format. How did the world fall for it?

My version of I am not a Dog is on cassette. Yes. Cassette. That’s progress for you.

I don’t play my CD’s much these days. But they used to gather in piles, away from their boxes and become scratched and unplayable. On reflection, the CD was a crappy format. How did the world fall for it?

My version of I am not a Dog is on cassette. Yes. Cassette. That’s progress for you.
Cassette, frig me, I thought I was in the olden days, your taking the piss right...... you need to tidy up lad, to much time at the bingo........ to be honest..... I'm gathering pace to paint my bedroom, I should of done this last September when I moved in, and now looking at old things, like you say, cds. ...... I'm thinking of getting shot off the most of them, I done this last September, quite a few down the local charity shop....... I don't know if I could be that brutal to myself again....... I've been thinking just to hide them away...... they are not things of fashion now to be displayed in anyone's home now.....

Cassette, frig me, I thought I was in the olden days, your taking the piss right...... you need to tidy up lad, to much time at the bingo........ to be honest..... I'm gathering pace to paint my bedroom, I should of done this last September when I moved in, and now looking at old things, like you say, cds. ...... I'm thinking of getting shot off the most of them, I done this last September, quite a few down the local charity shop....... I don't know if I could be that brutal to myself again....... I've been thinking just to hide them away...... they are not things of fashion now to be displayed in anyone's home now.....
I suggest you start by getting one of them there caselogic storage books. This will make hiding them away easier, and prevent humiliation when you bring a prospect back to your pad for the purpose of discussing Morrissey.

The 3-song stretch of Knockabout, Darling and River is one of my favourite 3-song stretches on any Smiths or Morrissey album.
Great point! I think Darling is the highpoint of the album, surrounded on all sides by great songs. The only song I don't yet like is The Truth About Ruth.

But since when did we buy music to impress visitors to the house? Screw that. I like CDs for the car. LPs for when I have time at home. Spotify for convenience. I don't want to impress visitors. Chances are most people think INXS is the best thing from the 80's. Why try to converse in music with people like that. Same for books. In fact I hope visitors hate everything I like. Will save the embarrassing "no" when they ask to borrow something (never to be returned).

I suggest you start by getting one of them there caselogic storage books. This will make hiding them away easier, and prevent humiliation when you bring a prospect back to your pad for the purpose of discussing Morrissey.
Your there again...... lol . This has tickled me greatly. ...... the prospect, is well, I'm celibate now, can't be arsed.... and if I did want a prospect... they would be my daughter's, all 3 into moz.... if by electrification ...... they love him....... but a female...... no chance, my a ppartment is bright, fresh , light........ no filthy Gussets on my waking eye line.......

Great point! I think Darling is the highpoint of the album, surrounded on all sides by great songs. The only song I don't yet like is The Truth About Ruth.
I’ve been thinking about the ‘three song stretch’. Mine would be Hold onto your Friends, The More you Ignore Me, and Why don’t you Find Out.

The Truth about Ruth is the weak spot on the new record. But I find it works well on the album, as a whole (a bit like Lazy Sunbathers on Vauxhall).

Your there again...... lol . This has tickled me greatly. ...... the prospect, is well, I'm celibate now, can't be arsed.... and if I did want a prospect... they would be my daughter's, all 3 into moz.... if by electrification ...... they love him....... but a female...... no chance, my a ppartment is bright, fresh , light........ no filthy Gussets on my waking eye line.......
You could use the filthy gussets to cover up your CD collection, and make it easier on the eye.

But since when did we buy music to impress visitors to the house? Screw that. I like CDs for the car. LPs for when I have time at home. Spotify for convenience. I don't want to impress visitors. Chances are most people think INXS is the best thing from the 80's. Why try to converse in music with people like that. Same for books. In fact I hope visitors hate everything I like. Will save the embarrassing "no" when they ask to borrow something (never to be returned).
Good post, no you can't have that book, now f*** off, as you say you would never get it back, chancers. ... spotify is to me , like man on the moon.....as I try to carry on with this post, I'm looking back at yours, and just can't carry on, its hilarious

I've just pulled years of refusal, out from the darkest of holes, my kill uncle..... I forgot Carol was on here.... goodnight all....

I'm still a savage beast.... I'm back up, how have I ever forgotten this record ...

I'm still a savage beast.... I'm back up, how have I ever forgotten this record ...
I’ve not listened to it all the way through for 10 years. I generally refuse That’s how People Grow Up and Paris. However, Skull, Carol and It’s not your Birthday are great, great tracks.

I'd pull WKOPLITH to make a great 4 strong stretch,,,It really is a fantastic album...Whilst TTAR & TSOM are not catchy single material does not make them poor songs, I think they add a great balance to the album ...love them all and in time I think this will be judged as one of his top 3 albums....what a pity the lack of support from BMG will mean its essentially a lost album outside of the hadrcore fans....wonder if it will fare well in end of year album polls and even the Mercury...it deserves it....well done Moz and hope it inspires you to find a new home.

I’ve not listened to it all the way through for 10 years. I generally refuse That’s how People Grow Up and Paris. However, Skull, Carol and It’s not your Birthday are great, great tracks.
Just about the general feel off the album really about 5 strong songs, but I enjoyed it all over again...,,,,, just had mexisserry on..... love the horns ect, and forgetting my Que, still no one to laugh, when I do..... the plesantries of being alone I suppose.....f*** it dog on a chain again...........

I'd pull WKOPLITH to make a great 4 strong stretch,,,It really is a fantastic album...Whilst TTAR & TSOM are not catchy single material does not make them poor songs, I think they add a great balance to the album ...love them all and in time I think this will be judged as one of his top 3 albums....what a pity the lack of support from BMG will mean its essentially a lost album outside of the hadrcore fans....wonder if it will fare well in end of year album polls and even the Mercury...it deserves it....well done Moz and hope it inspires you to find a new home.
You must be talking about world peace, right! Every thing about world peace is perfect, except from I am a man, the third song in and then it's slowed right down...... the only flaw in the albums flow..... the delux CD, is as better than side one or two, so in my enjoyment world peace has 3 sides...... art hounds should have been a single.... just like bohemian rapsody,

I’ve been thinking about the ‘three song stretch’. Mine would be Hold onto your Friends, The More you Ignore Me, and Why don’t you Find Out.

The Truth about Ruth is the weak spot on the new record. But I find it works well on the album, as a whole (a bit like Lazy Sunbathers on Vauxhall).
Ruth should have been a B-side... lyrically weak...

The commercial failure of Dog on a Chain is nothing to do with BMG, and everything to do with Morrissey's support for far-right extremists, and telling the world he prefers his own race. Radio stations no longer feel they can promote new songs by a person they view as a toxic, bigoted extremist. On the very rare occasions when they do play a new song, they have to issue a disclaimer about not supporting his views. It won't fare well in the end of year polls as it averaged between 6 and 7 out of 10, and there is zero chance of a Mercury nomination. He's made his bed...

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom