The anniversary of the last gig.

Librarian On Fire

So it's the silver anniversary of the last ever gig of The Smiths today, 12 December 1986. When you realise that the band stopped playing live just part through mid-way of the eighties you realise how very short their live performances were. Now days some bands like the Manic Street Preachers are notching up their 20th year in the business. The Smiths look like the mayflies of the indie world.

I'm pretty sure I've got a copy of this last gig on cassette somewhere. I'll have to have a rummage around tonight to find and listen to it.

The Smiths played last concert 25 years ago today — watch the whole show

thesmiths.jpg

Twenty-five years ago today, The Smiths performed what would prove to be the band’s final concert, a 15-song set at London’s Brixton Academy as part of a rescheduled benefit for Artists Against Apartheid. It wouldn’t quite be the last time the band played together — there were a few TV appearances before Johnny Marr quit in July 1987, a few months before the release of Strangeways, Here We Come.

The performance is notable not only because it was The Smiths’ last full concert, but it also marked the first and only time the band performed The Queen is Dead closer “Some Girls are Bigger Than Others,” about-to-be-released single “Shoplifters of the World Unite” and a medley of “London” and “Miserable Lie” live onstage (plus a rare airing of “The Night Has Opened My Eyes”).
Below, you can watch the full concert in the embedded player, although you’ll have to advance to about the 14:08 mark to see the beginning (the video opens with the tail end of the band’s July 20, 1986, concert in Manchester; you can watch the first part of that here). We’ve also posted a few of the individual tracks separately following the full setlist.

Setlist: The Smiths, Brixton Academy, London, 12/12/86
1. “Ask”
2. “Bigmouth Strikes Again”
3. “London”/”Miserable Lie”
4. “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others”
5. “The Boy With The Thorn In His Side”
6. “Shoplifters Of The World Unite”
7. “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out”
8. “Is It Really So Strange?”
9. “Cemetry Gates”
10. “This Night Has Opened My Eyes”
11. “Still Ill”
12. “Panic”
13. “The Queen Is Dead”
14. “William, It Was Really Nothing”
15. “Hand In Glove”

from: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2011/12/12/smiths-final-concert-video-brixton-academy-london/

(go to the source link for all video links)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: The Smiths played last concert 25 years ago today — watch the whole show

would love a good sound quality copy of this show if such a thing exists.

Mine is missing two songs and sounds like ass

Back
Top Bottom