The 40 best song lyrics of all time

goinghome

you must not tamper with arrangements
Morrissey and The Smiths get the V.I.P. treatment in this article, compiling a selection of best songs ever (29 Dec 2022), which starts: "A devastating couplet is every pop star’s secret weapon. Whether it’s Morrissey grumbling about having to go to bed with nothing but a Sylvia Plath anthology for warmth or Kate Bush crooning sweet nothings-that-are-actually-dark-somethings lyrics illuminate and elevate a song. Words bring clarity and drama, opening a secret passage to an artist’s internal life..."

The Smiths – “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out”

the-smiths.jpg
(Rex Features)
“Take me out tonight/ Take me anywhere, I don’t care/ I don’t care, I don’t care.”

As with Leonard Cohen you could spend the rest of your days debating the greatest Morrissey lyrics. But surely there has never been a more perfect collection of couplets than that contained in their 1982 opus. It’s hysterically witty, with the narrator painting death by 10 ton truck as the last word in romantic demises. But the trademark Moz sardonic wit is elsewhere eclipsed by a blinding light of spiritual torment, resulting in a song that functions both as cosmic joke and howl into the abyss. -

Last edited:
Guess they forgot and missed this one:

"Jim Dandy smiled / He never learned to swim
Saw the little crippled child / And he gave his seat to him"
- Bob D

its like something they did on their dinner break,anyone reading that who have never heard of the smiths will be thinking if thats the best they have then i will give it a miss,lazy journalism.

Where am I, is what I find myself wondering once again here on MSolo? It seems reasonable to suppose that on a site dedicated to a singer, users would be enthusiastic about news and information. Instead, grumps, one after the other.

I stumbled upon this item when I was looking for something else. Heeding moans above, I've looked more closely at it, which confirms the pedigree of the piece created by seasoned entertainment and music journalists, Roisin O' Connor and Ed Power. If a list of guitarists makes the grade, then this should. I've switched the link to the original Independent piece, which appeared on the same date, and added key text. But please don't let me interrupt the shred-fest...

Where am I, is what I find myself wondering once again here on MSolo? It seems reasonable to suppose that on a site dedicated to a singer, users would be enthusiastic about news and information. Instead, grumps, one after the other.

I stumbled upon this item when I was looking for something else. Heeding moans above, I've looked more closely at it, which confirms the pedigree of the piece created by seasoned entertainment and music journalists, Roisin O' Connor and Ed Power. If a list of guitarists makes the grade, then this should. I've switched the link to the original Independent piece, which appeared on the same date, and added key text. But please don't let me interrupt the shred-fest...
It's just not interesting

Tags
there is a light that never goes out
Back
Top Bottom