The 3 new Morrissey songs - what do we know/think about them?

I recall an anonymous post last summer (June 2010) which stated...

"Morrissey hasn't been recording in France. He has been working on some demo tracks at St. Catherine's Court in Bath.According to my source he has also had preliminary discussions with Nigel Godrich - Radiohead to product the material. This may relate to the sighting at EMI last week. Unfortunately nothing will occur tell late Fall as Boz is currently booked and busy working with other bands."

Moz only met up with Godrich because he's as bemused as the rest of us as to how Godrich & Radiohead managed to get away with making the same album four times while getting critical acclaim each time.

I recall an anonymous post last summer (June 2010) which stated...

"Morrissey hasn't been recording in France. He has been working on some demo tracks at St. Catherine's Court in Bath.According to my source he has also had preliminary discussions with Nigel Godrich - Radiohead to product the material. This may relate to the sighting at EMI last week. Unfortunately nothing will occur tell late Fall as Boz is currently booked and busy working with other bands."

Thanks for this - interesting stuff. I don't really care much for the Godrich/Radiohead sound but I'd really love for Morrissey to escape the generic indie-pop sound he's been stuck in for 93% of the post-Street material, and Godrich could be the man for the job.

Well I think there's a good amount of unreleased Whyte demos from the last two albums which could certainly be recycled for a new album. Throw in the usual Boz and Jesse tracks and we've got enough for an album/b-sides worth of material.

Good point, but if the new album is made up of 50% or so of Morrissey/Whyte compositions that were not deemed good enough for inclusion in the ROTT or the YOR sessions then I'm not sure that provides grounds for optimism!

Good point, but if the new album is made up of 50% or so of Morrissey/Whyte compositions that were not deemed good enough for inclusion in the ROTT or the YOR sessions then I'm not sure that provides grounds for optimism!

Who is to say it is because they weren't deemed good enough? It may have simply been because they felt out of place...

Who is to say it is because they weren't deemed good enough? It may have simply been because they felt out of place...

yep, a fair point. for example, Christian Dior is clearly 3,7 trillion times better than most of the rubbish on Ringleader of the Tomatoes but was relegated to a b-side because it wasn't considered to fit...

Morrissey's hypothetical song titles were better when he was in the Smiths. - obligatory post

Morrissey's hypothetical song titles were better when he was in the Smiths. - obligatory post

Not much about Morrissey is better than when he was with The Smiths...

Moz only met up with Godrich because he's as bemused as the rest of us as to how Godrich & Radiohead managed to get away with making the same album four times while getting critical acclaim each time.

LOL, I see your point. I actually think King of Limbs is better than the horribly overrated In Rainbows, but anyway...back to Moz :)

yep, a fair point. for example, Christian Dior is clearly 3,7 trillion times better than most of the rubbish on Ringleader of the Tomatoes but was relegated to a b-side because it wasn't considered to fit...

Same with "My Dearest Love"...

Thanks for this - interesting stuff. I don't really care much for the Godrich/Radiohead sound but I'd really love for Morrissey to escape the generic indie-pop sound he's been stuck in for 93% of the post-Street material, and Godrich could be the man for the job.

Another Southpaw? Hopefully not!

Someone who spoke to Jesse after a show on one of the last tours told me that recording work was started on the remaining Whyte titles that circulated during Years of Refusal, but they were not finished because Jerry Finn then fell ill.

If Morrissey attempts them again, great - but, historically, he leaves unissued songs behind when their time passes.

If Morrissey attempts them again, great - but, historically, he leaves unissued songs behind when their time passes.

True. He does occasionally reuse titles and lyrics: "Margaret On The Guillotine", "Bengali In Platforms", "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning", "It's Hard To Walk Tall..." but not actual songs. "At Amber" is the only example I can think of where a song was reworked/remixed (from "The Bed Took Fire") some time after its recording and released later. There may be others, of course.

Someone who spoke to Jesse after a show on one of the last tours told me that recording work was started on the remaining Whyte titles that circulated during Years of Refusal, but they were not finished because Jerry Finn then fell ill.

Thanks for that Jamie. It seems like there hasn't been any "fresh" Whyte songs for a while now, considering that his Refusal demos were from 2006.

"Action Man" and God knows how many others were started during the Ringleader sessions...so, really, if they can't wrap up 6 or so songs over a 2 year span, that doesn't say much about the band does it? More than likely, Whyte titles are simply being hoarded to spread out over albums.

Tell that to 'You Should Have Been Nice To Me', 'Honey You Know Where To Find Me', 'Lifeguard On Duty', 'Happy Lovers United', 'Oh Phony', 'Treat Me Like A Human Being', and 'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home'..:p

I'm tempted to stay up for these. But I'm an old man now, and these late nights take their toll. Howver, I'm still tempted to stay up for the songs.

P.

Back
Top Bottom