The 1981 gay pride march in Huddersfield - Morrissey spotted in photos?

If you ask me, that's him, no doubt.

20200710_094349.jpg

Link to article:

Also:

What do we think about him? Spotted in another picture from the article.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen's square like several of those squares around Bloomsbury were very active cruising grounds in the 80s and 90s for gay men. At night Russell Square was packed with men picking other men up. The police cottoned on to this at some point in the early 90s and regularly entered the park with vans arresting people and it was a losing battle so they installed huge spot lights on top of the building in the square that floodlighted the whole square all night. People moved to other nearby squares such as Queen Square. That whole area was a popular area for gay people to live and had Gay's The Word bookshop etc. Trafalgar square was the key focal point for every gay pride march at that time too. But these are obviously loose connections and who knows really what he is talking about. The problem when a lyricist starts to write a book is that he continues to write as though he is writing song lyrics which can be designed to have many meanings, hidden meanings, vague meanings, multiple meanings but it doesn't work well in what is supposed to be factual literature because because just dont know what he's talking about which defeats the whole point of the book. All adds to the mystery that he is responsible for and why there is a thread this long discussing this subject.

I think in this case it's really more likely that he's talking about places from his childhood in Manchester.
He talks a lot about Queen's Square at the beginning, he was obviously very happy there. The whole family living close together until they moved to Kings Road and his Nannie moved to Trafalgar Square where he would also spend a lot of time staying with her.

I think in this case it's really more likely that he's talking about places from his childhood in Manchester.
He talks a lot about Queen's Square at the beginning, he was obviously very happy there. The whole family living close together until they moved to Kings Road and his Nannie moved to Trafalgar Square where he would also spend a lot of time staying with her.

yes I understand that. He also talks about Jake but Jake has no connection to those squares but that isnt my point.

My point was more around the vagueness of the writing that can mean so many different things as though they are song lyrics rather than a factual history of a life. He creates a mystery

He writes about being attached, committed, having a kid, his life changing & them being a duo.
And let's not forget that not all relationships are the same. It's possible to live with someone, to love them, to consider them your partner and not have a sexual relationship with them. It is possible to have children with a person without having a sexual relationship with them.
She was obviously very important to him and as far as I know they were still friends a couple of years ago.

I will disagree. I think he always has hidden things. He has tried to remove from existence anything that could link him to any sexual encounter or relationship with anyone.

Refusing to walk down a street known for gay bars because he doesn't want anyone to then assume he might be gay is off the scale at wanting to hide.

Asking legal representatives to ry to recover letters from pre fame days is hiding things.

Making up words and stories to describe his attractions and then another period stating he was celibate and then another time saying he is humosexual and then hating of sex another, it is all typical closeted behaviour. It goes beyond press intrusion fears. Press aren't really interested in intruding if people are open. Shocks around mysteries sell stories.

I used to say similar things about not being interested, being asexual, even for a while said after being constantly asked why I wasn't married etc that I was married but she died to get people to stop asking. I was an expert at the mysterious and the story telling and it worked until I decided in my late 40s to just say f*** it and the next time someone asked about being married or a girlfriend I said, it isnt a she, it is a he. That was a day that changed my life forever. The complete opposite of what I feared happened. For the first time in my life I built friendships that were close and supportive amongst straight people and I started to have many straight close friends who didn't give a shit that I was gay and had a very active social live with straight people. I felt free and happy for the first time. Living a secret is a very draining existence, having two lives, one for gay friends and one for straight people or people at work is self destructive and causes havoc with mental health.

But he's like that with everything - there was an interview where he refused to name his cats.

I think he just finds life embarrassing.

But he's like that with everything - there was an interview where he refused to name his cats.

He probably refused to name his cats because he probably called them Dorothy and Judy :)

There are so many stories from the inner circle that are about him wanting to or trying to or actually making contact with people of the same sex but I have never heard any relating to him wanting encounters with the opposite sex. For a man in his 60s who has been in the limelight since the 80s that is a remarkable achievement.

As has already been said he got to his adult life and then stated in an interview that he realised women have different shaped bodies which led to Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others. Right. There is just no indication anywhere, in his art or from any private life stories over the decades that suggest he was interested in women sexually. Even with the desire to not be in the press limelight that would be nigh on impossible to maintain for that long

And let's not forget that not all relationships are the same. It's possible to live with someone, to love them, to consider them your partner and not have a sexual relationship with them. It is possible to have children with a person without having a sexual relationship with them.
She was obviously very important to him and as far as I know they were still friends a couple of years ago.

No one disputes she wasn't/isn't important to him but there is nothing anywhere that suggests they were anything but very close friends and still are.

He probably refused to name his cats because he probably called them Dorothy and Judy :)

There are so many stories from the inner circle that are about him wanting to or trying to or actually making contact with people of the same sex but I have never heard any relating to him wanting encounters with the opposite sex. For a man in his 60s who has been in the limelight since the 80s that is a remarkable achievement.

As has already been said he got to his adult life and then stated in an interview that he realised women have different shaped bodies which led to Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others. Right. There is just no indication anywhere, in his art or from any private life stories over the decades that suggest he was interested in women sexually. Even with the desire to not be in the press limelight that would be nigh on impossible to maintain for that long

Haha - I dated a gay man once whose cats were called Carmen & Miranda - he loved how funny I was (apparently).

I don't think there's any doubt that Moz fancies men, mostly if not exclusively - it's all the way through his autobiography, his lyrics, his imagery, in interviews - but humans are complicated & it might be a case of any port in a storm or he gets the occasional crush & would rather not be the Indie Elton John, with all the media expectations & assumptions that would come with that.

Haha - I dated a gay man once whose cats were called Carmen & Miranda - he loved how funny I was (apparently).

I don't think there's any doubt that Moz fancies men, mostly if not exclusively - it's all the way through his autobiography, his lyrics, his imagery, in interviews - but humans are complicated & it might be a case of any port in a storm or he gets the occasional crush & would rather not be the Indie Elton John, with all the media expectations & assumptions that would come with that.
You dated a gay man? You're a mess

Plus Steven is Christian now

On that note, Dude's back on Mporium and he's an angel.

You dated a gay man? You're a mess

Plus Steven is Christian now

Yes - GEM - even gay men get more dates with girls than you do.

That Canada gig was clearly some kind of nervous breakdown - he was back to being a lapsed Catholic in March.

He's cleverer than that, do you really think he could sustain a near 40 year career if he "finds life embarrassing". His interviews are cagey but in a deliberate way, trying to avoid the obvious answers to the obvious questions that have been asked a million times before and they're all the more funnier for it.

"nothing worse that being called a gay artist or gay singer". Really. Right. No one would call him that. They would call him an artist who is gay. There is a difference. There are many many artists who dont have an issue with that and it doesn't affect their art or perception of art in any way.

Did Keith Haring have a problem being open, Dusty Springfield, does Hockney, Michael Stipe, Frank Ocean.........

Bowing down to the oppression out of fear doesn't make someone less repressed.
Who wants that tired old label around your neck like a millstone? Certainly not Morrissey, he's a singer songwriter and that's good enough.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom