That's How People Grow Up

All You Need Is Me is Morrissey/Tobias.

All You Need Is Me is Morrissey/Tobias.

Then what the hell was Alain Whyte doing at a recording session? He doesn't have any new songs for Morrissey?

Y'know just because they haven't played them doesn't mean they don't exist...

good point...I'm just curious as to how that all goes down with three guitarists in the studio...they all get their own part to play?

Oh Mother, why did I waste so much time?
When every leap and trip into love that I took
Left my heart in a jerk and my back in a crook

But that's how people grow up
That's how people grow up

Oh Mother, I've been wasting my time
I was looking around for validation
When I gave up and collapsed at Vauxhall station

And that's how people grow up

Let me live
Before I die
No not me
Not I

I was busy wasting my days
Confessing selfish needs and desperate deeds
To an old man in his death bed, next to me
Who said: "For god's sake, there are other sorrows too"

I was driving my car
I crashed and broke my spine
So yes there are things worse in life than
Than never having taken a wife

As for me, I found a way
The sins of the flesh will fill the day

These aren't the correct lyrics on the youtube link, it goes on about sweeties again.

"I was driving my car
I crashed and broke my spine
So yes there are things worse in life than
Than never having taken a wife"
Is far better than that rubbish about sweeties.

If these are the correct lyrics then I like the manner in which he is referencing his younger self (I Want The One I Can't Have and Vauxhall) and they are a definite improvement on the words sang on youtube. B-side at best

I would imagine so. There were a lot of guitars on ROTT (which I'd imagine is part of the reason I love it and a lot of people don't).

I would imagine so. There were a lot of guitars on ROTT (which I'd imagine is part of the reason I love it and a lot of people don't).

At first I thought Alain played on his songs and Jesse played on his and Boz played on Both..but then I thought that's just stupid...

Ringleader to me, is right there behind Vauxall, Your Arsenal, and Viva Hate...by the time it gets to its "weakest" track...it's at the end...

I don't care what anyone says..I find On The Streets I Ran quite catchy...

I'm honestly not sure how much Boz actually plays in the studio. On stage all he does in strum away as Jesse takes all the lead, so I wouldn't be that surprised if in the studio he just takes more of an assistant producer role in just over seeing everything and making sure everyone knows their parts etc and made more of his 'musical director' role.

I'm honestly not sure how much Boz actually plays in the studio. On stage all he does in strum away as Jesse takes all the lead, so I wouldn't be that surprised if in the studio he just takes more of an assistant producer role in just over seeing everything and making sure everyone knows their parts etc and made more of his 'musical director' role.

I originally thought he was a Rhythm Guitarist (Like Gannon) in the early 90's...but obviously he does much more

Well don't forget Boz was with Morrissey before Alain and the rest of the '91 Lads. Boz does all that hard work that Moz can't be bothered with like sorting out rehearsals etc etc. So even on an album like ROTT where he hasn't written anything he'll still have been an important part of the making of the album.

In Boz and Moz ever had a falling out I'd be amazed if Moz managed to cope. Although of course I know the same thing was said of Moz and Marr and he did alright after that!

Well don't forget Boz was with Morrissey before Alain and the rest of the '91 Lads. Boz does all that hard work that Moz can't be bothered with like sorting out rehearsals etc etc. So even on an album like ROTT where he hasn't written anything he'll still have been an important part of the making of the album.

In Boz and Moz ever had a falling out I'd be amazed if Moz managed to cope. Although of course I know the same thing was said of Moz and Marr and he did alright after that!

I read an interview with Alain where he said Morrissey got the three of them (Alain, Gary, Spencer) for the tour (91) and Nevin was going to go, but when he bailed out...Boz went instead...

Does that sound accurate?

I read an interview with Alain where he said Morrissey got the three of them (Alain, Gary, Spencer) for the tour (91) and Nevin was going to go, but when he bailed out...Boz went instead...

Does that sound accurate?

You could be right, although I'm sure Boz was the first of the lads to be on record, as he was on Pregnant and Al, Gaz and Spence weren't so maybe that's what I was thinking of and that's how Boz got the tour gig when Nevin pulled out.

Boz met Moz at a veggie resturant in Notting Hill before the others. I think Boz was a sound engineer at the time. Moz was a fan of The Polecats and got talking to Boz.

Boz is a lead guitarist, but for some reason he doesn't play lead with Moz. I think he is Moz's right hand man.

Boz strikes me as a better lead player than Alain or Jesse and has credentials with a lot of top artists.

Why do some people have this massive hangup with Moz using the word 'sweetie' in the song? It's just a term of endearment isn't it?

'Never having taken a wife' as a proposed substitute, is quite frankly laughable! Talk about formal language. It removes the emotional context completely.

Boz met Moz at a veggie resturant in Notting Hill before the others. I think Boz was a sound engineer at the time. Moz was a fan of The Polecats and got talking to Boz.

Boz is a lead guitarist, but for some reason he doesn't play lead with Moz. I think he is Moz's right hand man.

Boz strikes me as a better lead player than Alain or Jesse and has credentials with a lot of top artists.

You seem to know a lot about Boz, which isn't surprising given your taste for rockabilly. I have a question: do you think Boz's guitar playing talents are fully utilized by Morrissey? If not, what's your guess as to why?

It has an accordian bit in it...maybe Michael Farrell is responsible?

Morrissey has foresaken his best collaborator (Since Marr)...

The person responsible for Making Vauxall & I The Masterpiece it is...

Boz Boorer...

Boz co-wrote 5 songs on that album....I think he's co-written about 5 on the last FOUR albums since (Okay, 7 or 8)...What is the deal with that...does Morrissey just not want Boz's songs? I mean most of them get put on as left over b-sides these days

The More You Ignore Me The Closer, I Get
Now My Heart Is Full
Speedway
Spring-Heeled Jim

since...
Teachers Are Afraid Of The Puplis
Reader Meets Author
Maladjusted
Ammunition
Satan Rejected My Soul
I Like You
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores

Yes yes yes, Boz has written very very good songs for Moz...The new one comes from him? Ooops...:p

You could be right, although I'm sure Boz was the first of the lads to be on record, as he was on Pregnant and Al, Gaz and Spence weren't so maybe that's what I was thinking of and that's how Boz got the tour gig when Nevin pulled out.

My Copy Of Pregnant For The Last Time lists all four of them on that Record...

I know Sing Your Life single (That's Entertainment, The Loop) lists Boz on Second Guitar and Alain on Harmonica, Bridgwood on Bass, Paresi on Drums, Nevin on Guitar....Bedders played Bass on Sing Your Life like the rest of Kill Uncle...

Wikipedia lists Boz as doing vocals for The Polecats as well as guitars..."Which songs did he sing?"

BTW, since we're on the subject any reason why Boz is credited as Martin J. on Maladjusted?

My Copy Of Pregnant For The Last Time lists all four of them on that Record...

I know Sing Your Life single (That's Entertainment, The Loop) lists Boz on Second Guitar and Alain on Harmonica, Bridgwood on Bass, Paresi on Drums, Nevin on Guitar....Bedders played Bass on Sing Your Life like the rest of Kill Uncle...

The credits on the Pregnant sleave is wrong. Although it turns out I was wrong as well! Andrew Paresi in Morrissey: The Albums says that the players on Pregnant were Alain, Boz, Jonny Bridgewood and Andrew Paresi.

And the credits for the Sing Your Life single is wrong as well, as - if you actually listen to the b-sides - there's no Harmonica! Alain did record a Harmonica part for Pregnant though that was never used. Also Jonny Bridgewood did not play on The Loop or That's Entertainment, it's Bedders on bass, according to Bridgewood himself the only tracks he played on during this time were Pregnant and Born To Hang.

Back
Top Bottom