That Time Morrissey Said Depeche Mode Sucked - New York Post

That time Morrissey said Depeche Mode sucked - NY Post
By Hardeep Phull

August 25, 2017 | 3:15am

In August 1981, a young, buzzy electro-pop band named Depeche Mode rolled into Manchester, England, to play at a small club called Rafters. Spirits were high; the band had just had its first major hit with “New Life” and another smash called “Just Can’t Get Enough” would hit the UK Top 10 before the end of the year.

But one person not buying into the hype was a local writer named Steven Morrissey, then 22. As depicted in the new film “England Is Mine” which opens Friday, before Morrissey became a star as the singer of the Smiths during the mid-’80s, he was getting in his curmudgeon practice by writing letters to the music press, and even penning the occasional review.

In a write-up published in the now defunct weekly Record Mirror, he called out Depeche Mode as “hilariously unimaginative” and accused them of peddling “every murderously monotonous cliché known to man.”

“That viewpoint is a very Manchester thing,” director Mark Gill tells The Post, referring to Morrissey’s brutal writings, which laid waste to not only Depeche Mode, but also the Sex Pistols, the Rolling Stones and even the Ramones. “It’s not enough for you to be good, everyone else has to be s - - t!”

‘Whatever [Morrissey] says — positive or negative — it will be going on my wall.’

Portraying Morrissey is rising Scottish actor Jack Lowden (who played the pilot Collins in “Dunkirk”). The 27-year-old spent a year researching the role by delving into these old writings, interviews and, of course, the lyrics of Smiths songs that drew heavily on Morrissey’s youth.

“He talked a lot in his early interviews about his experiences, his family and his depression,” says Gill, a 2014 Oscar nominee for his short film “The Voorman Problem,” who grew up in the same area of Manchester as Morrissey. “That early period of his life was certainly the most romantic for me. I was certainly never interested in making a film about the Smiths.”

Also on hand to help the director and star get an idea of what young Morrissey was really like was Billy Duffy, who was Morrissey’s early bandmate in the Manchester punk group the Nosebleeds, before he found success with the Cult. Unsurprisingly, Morrissey was often as scathing in person as he was in writing.

“The scene in which Morrissey criticizes the lyrics of Joe Strummer [from the Clash] is based on a story that Billy told us,” says Gill.

But the director is aware that the next target of Morrissey’s fury might be “England Is Mine.” The singer (who this week announced he is releasing his album “Low in High School” in November) maintained a distance from the film during production and has so far given no verdict. But if it doesn’t meet his standards, Morrissey will have little problem speaking up.

“Whatever he says — positive or negative — it will be going on my wall,” says Gill. “Maybe my bedroom ceiling, so I can see it every morning when I wake up!”

Last edited by a moderator:
You can say a lot of things about DM but only one thing is really true and that is that they are the coolest band that ever existed.

You can say a lot of things about DM but only one thing is really true and that is that they are the coolest band that ever existed.

Forgot to add that I gett goosebumps just thinking about them.

Indeed, my bad.
Make that 14 years later with Playing The Angel. Have a few albums, but they've never spoken to me as a band. Clarke was clearly the pop element - their sound with more guitars was ok, but 1st album, Violator and PTA are about it in my collection. Also agree that looking like they applied glue to themselves and then rolled around in a sex shop wasn't the greatest fashion idea :)
Regards,
FWD.
I thought Music For The Masses was an ace album too.

Maybe what he really meant is that he didn't like Vince Clarke - b/c that was the driving force behind DM in 1981. I think he was wrong about DM (even back then) but that's OK - he's entitled to his opinion. I don't think any DM fans are out burning their albums based on Morrissey's comments.

Last edited:
Bland jelly-baby? Nah.

He must be talking about the blandness of Smiler With A Knife, Kick The Bride Down The Aisle, Mountjoy and Oboe Concerto which dragged WPINOYB to a sluggish quicksand death.

New Life is a top pop tune! Let's hope the new record has more rock n' roll and pop instead of odes to sleep induction.

:rock:

Nah. In the review he's saying that because of their lack of imagination they probably will succeed.

But how can we know that unless he specifically states what he means.

Some people might prefer being obtuse or opaque and prefer to be Sphinx like. When of course most Sphinx's don't have a secret, as Wilde knew so well.

He specifically stated in 1981 or 1982 that, " because of their lack of imagination they probably will succeed ".
Two observations here, lack of imagination and due to that they probably will succeed.
Specific enough for me. How many more specifics do you want?
It almost seems spot on.
And never retracted as far as we know, which he did with for instance The Ramones. :thumb:
A cover by Moz from Depeche Mode is the ultimate unlikely thing to happen.
Prove me wrong Moz! :D

Depeche Mode sounds amazing in their live shows, David's voice it's better than ever, they've gained their iconic status ...
We all know how sometimes Moz opinion's can be :crazy: and even more so when he was young

Depeche Mode are my favourite band, so this Moz review has always amused me. I'm fairly certain it's only official crossover between Morrissey and DM, the only other instance I can think of is when Morrissey played Hyde Park in 2006 before the Mode and, at the end of his set, said "Enjoy Depeche!" as he left the stage. I get the impression they're not his cup of tea but he may have some sort of begrudging respect considering the length of time the two artists have endured.

Also, if you actively dislike the Mode, you're a fool.

Regards,

Depeche Mode are my favourite band, so this Moz review has always amused me. I'm fairly certain it's only official crossover between Morrissey and DM, the only other instance I can think of is when Morrissey played Hyde Park in 2006 before the Mode and, at the end of his set, said "Enjoy Depeche!" as he left the stage. I get the impression they're not his cup of tea but he may have some sort of begrudging respect considering the length of time the two artists have endured.

Regards,
I wonder if he met DM backstage prior to the Hyde Park 2006 concert. Sometimes he says awful things about people, then he meets them and realises they are nice people who didn't deserve the criticism. Jo Slee once said he was childlike in his emotional responses, very much 100% likes or hates you, and it takes almost nothing to go from being liked to not being liked.

From Jo Slee: "I think Morrissey has a very high expectation of people and he's very quick to take umbrage or to feel let down and you don't often get a second chance. That's childlike. He's very extreme in his emotional reactions to people."

Regards,

Sorry, huh?? Morrissey didn't play Hyde Park in 2006, only in 2008, and DM was never on the same bill. I think you must be confused?

I wonder if he met DM backstage prior to the Hyde Park 2006 concert. Sometimes he says awful things about people, then he meets them and realises they are nice people who didn't deserve the criticism. Jo Slee once said he was childlike in his emotional responses, very much 100% likes or hates you, and it takes almost nothing to go from being liked to not being liked.

From Jo Slee: "I think Morrissey has a very high expectation of people and he's very quick to take umbrage or to feel let down and you don't often get a second chance. That's childlike. He's very extreme in his emotional reactions to people."

Moz also said the following and Martin Gore has been at many Moz shows over the years.

Daily Telegraph: What do you think of Lady Gaga?

Morrissey: I’ve met her and she’s terribly nice. I find that it isn’t wise to attempt to judge people on their public persona, and even on the music they make. Because I’ve met so many people whose music I cannot stand, and they’re very nice. At the same time, I’ve met people whose music I’ve loved, and they’re not the person you’ve invested all this emotion in. And that’s your fault – I mean my fault. Lady Gaga is terribly nice. And her name is very funny, I think. I don’t think her music was ever designed to appeal to people like me. It’s not my type of music.

Sorry, huh?? Morrissey didn't play Hyde Park in 2006, only in 2008, and DM was never on the same bill. I think you must be confused?

You're totally right, I have the wrong festival in mind. Passions Just Like Mine have let me know it was in fact Eurockéennes Festival, Belfort, France on July 1st, 2006.

Before the set closer "Panic" Morrissey said goodbye to his fans: "Have a very good time with Depeche... thank you for listening, ciao!"

Thanks for setting me straight.

Moz also said the following and Martin Gore has been at many Moz shows over the years.

Yep, Martin is very much a Morrissey fan. Often sighted at the LA-based shows when Mode are off tour. Also ex-DM member Alan Wilder is very positive in his praise for the Smiths and Morrissey, often stated on his now-archived Q&A fan site that he'd have loved to have worked with the man as a producer. I am not sure the results would have been amazing considering Wilder's background with sonic landscapes and trip hop beats as opposed to set out, solid songs that Morrissey likes to work with.

Still, one can dream.

Tags
england is mine movie
Back
Top Bottom