That joke isn´t funny anymore

Chreffe

First of all I try to make sense in english - please excuse... :rolleyes:

To drive the point home:
Several interpretations of the lyrics were offered to me while making a school-lesson in "change of youth" an "the meaning and absurdity of individualisation". I was thinking of a peace of music as a doorway to the issue and claimed the old smiths song "That joke..." for this approach. Meanwhile hearing I didn´t get the sense of two staves:
For what Morrissey ist smothering the other X in that song - relationship? (Please no answer in sense of "laughing about people..." - I know..)
Why the heck is he laughing/smile (?) at the end...

My only explanation:
Laughing, because he is in the end smiling about disability in relationship? (F***: I´ve seen it happen in other peoples live...)

HELP
(I would be glad to follow - if i can - a discourse concerning the individualisation in morrisseys lyrics)

Last edited:
(I would be glad to follow - if i can - a discourse concerning the individualisation in morrisseys lyrics)

Hello, Chreffe. I don't know if you'll get your answers here, but a while back, a LiveJournal friend and I set up a community for the examination of Morrissey's lyrics.

http://community.livejournal.com/interpretingmoz/

You'll need to have a LiveJournal account (it's free) and join the community, then you can post the lyrics of any Morrissey or Smiths song you like and open a discussion.

Hope that helps.

Kate

xxx

Sorry, I've got no clue... I'm not even sure I get your question right ;)
Just wanted to say: Hello to the forum Chreffe! I'm always glad to see that there are some Germans with good taste in music... well, beside myself obviously. Chrm chrm.

I have to admit though that "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" probably is The Smiths best song in my opinion, "There's A Light..." is more of it's little brother.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom