That (crazy) reunion question

Catholic

English Blood, Irish Heart
That (Crazy) Reunion Question . . . the hopes of which seem deader than the Dodo . . .

But I wonder if anyone has any grounds at all for hoping for any possibility of Morrissey-Marr reunion?

Yes, I know . . . Jokesville, Arizona.

But I'm listening to some of Marr's best solo work right now and can't help but thinking what it would sound like with Morrissey.

And also I can't help but be struck by what I put in bold here from Marr in 2008:

“Suddenly we were talking about the possibility of the band re-forming, and in that moment it seemed that with the right intention it could actually be done and might even be great . . .

I would still work with the Cribs on our album, and Morrissey also had an album due out. We hung out for a while longer, and after even more orange juice (for me) and even more beer (for him) we hugged and said our goodbyes.”

But he said the reunion hopes last just four days.

He said he talked to members of the Cribs about him playing shows with the Smiths and them recruiting a new drummer.

Morrissey and I continued our dialogue and planned to meet up again.

But he said the reunion hopes last just four days."

I think what strikes me here is that the dialogue did continue for four days. If not, I would just imagine the idea was born of Morrissey drinking too much.

But it didn't end the next morning in morning sobriety.

No it lasted . . . four days.

Any thoughts?

Morrissey has said that the only time they will ever be on stage together if they were all dead and the bodies were dragged there, doesn't that tell you something ? it will never happen.

That (Crazy) Reunion Question . . . the hopes of which seem deader than the Dodo . . .

But I wonder if anyone has any grounds at all for hoping for any possibility of Morrissey-Marr reunion?

Yes, I know . . . Jokesville, Arizona.

But I'm listening to some of Marr's best solo work right now and can't help but thinking what it would sound like with Morrissey.

And also I can't help but be struck by what I put in bold here from Marr in 2008:

“Suddenly we were talking about the possibility of the band re-forming, and in that moment it seemed that with the right intention it could actually be done and might even be great . . .

I would still work with the Cribs on our album, and Morrissey also had an album due out. We hung out for a while longer, and after even more orange juice (for me) and even more beer (for him) we hugged and said our goodbyes.”

But he said the reunion hopes last just four days.

He said he talked to members of the Cribs about him playing shows with the Smiths and them recruiting a new drummer.

Morrissey and I continued our dialogue and planned to meet up again.

But he said the reunion hopes last just four days."

I think what strikes me here is that the dialogue did continue for four days. If not, I would just imagine the idea was born of Morrissey drinking too much.

But it didn't end the next morning in morning sobriety.

No it lasted . . . four days.

Any thoughts?

Never Say Never. Sure Morrissey has spouted off at Marr and Marr has sniped back, but at least they are communicating. They are on each other's minds. Maybe there was something behind the scenes that happened because Johnny had not been speaking ill of Moz. They must deal with each other because of the Smiths catalogue. Johnny said Rhino are working on re-releasing Strangeways. Maybe the terms are not to Moz' liking. I think if this were ever to happen, it would be Morrissey singing with Marr's band. Then if he doesn't show up, no harm, no foul. Who knows? These are strange times.

No, a lot has happened since 2008. Honestly not trying to start a flame war but Morrissey has done much to damage his brand since then. In more recent years it's doubtful JM would be open to it, and publicly at least Morrissey has never been interested. As encouraging as it was hearing about the 2008 meeting, I really question how realistic a reunion really was. Even if talks continued beyond 4 days, it's easy to imagine something happening to derail it before it really began.

Last edited:
PLEASE READ MORRISSEY'S RECENT COMMENTS REGARDING MARR.

WHO CARES ABOUT A SMITHS REUNION?

Morrissey has said that the only time they will ever be on stage together if they were all dead and the bodies were dragged there, doesn't that tell you something ? it will never happen.

sounds like a maybe to me.

They are on each other's minds. Maybe there was something behind the scenes that happened because Johnny had not been speaking ill of Moz. They must deal with each other because of the Smiths catalogue. Johnny said Rhino are working on re-releasing Strangeways.
Interesting.

I've been wondering too if there are things behind the scenes here that prompted both to speak in these ways . . .

he was even having digs back then,i had orange juice and he had even more beer,all he had to say was M had a few pints.

it would be done for all the wrong reasons and i certainly wouldnt go if it happened.

And so I drank one
It became FOUR
And when I fell on the floor
I drank more

It won't happen. Morrissey is close to retirement age now, and he has protected the memory of The Smiths for 35 years by not giving in to the temptation to shit all over it with a disappointing reunion, he's not going to undo that now. Although his solo career is choc full of great songs, it's primarily The Smiths that will be his legacy, and he knows it. He won't spoil that now. It would be like Benny and Bjorn sitting down and saying "Let's get Abba back together after a 40 year hiatus, why not? I reckon we'd have a hit album on our hands". Stuff like that just doesn't happen in real life.

he was even having digs back then,i had orange juice and he had even more beer,all he had to say was M had a few pints.

Your point is taken. However, when Marr wrote that in his autobiography, it was maybe 6 years later and he was clearly feeling (whatever the truth) rebuffed by Morrissey in 2008/2010.

I asked my husband if this story was in Autobiography and he said he doesn't remember it, just the one about the ride they took together that seemed to be arranged by Chrissie Hynde where Morrissey seemed to later wonder what happened. Is there any other version of this story besides Johnny's? Any other source?

Back
Top Bottom