Thank you so much Morrissey

I have to concur with the consensus that Well I Wonder is one of the most underrated songs of all time.

(Well) I wonder why Morrissey has never revisited that song and/ or That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore in his solo careeer? *(As far as I'm aware)

I have to concur with the consensus that Well I Wonder is one of the most underrated songs of all time.

(Well) I wonder why Morrissey has never revisited that song and/ or That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore in his solo careeer? *(As far as I'm aware)

Perhaps he thinks they're the "mating call" songs he mentioned in the Radio 4 interview... feeling too old to sing them and not wanting to look silly. That said, I think "That Joke..." it entirely relevant at any age, young or old.

Great to see Well I Wonder getting such positive regard on this thread. And there was me thinking I was alone in rating it at the very least in the Top 5 of anything Morrissey and The Smiths ever did/done.

"Well I wonder
Do you hear me when you sleep ?
I hoarsely cry
Why ..."

Great to see Well I Wonder getting such positive regard on this thread. And there was me thinking I was alone in rating it at the very least in the Top 5 of anything Morrissey and The Smiths ever did/done.

"Well I wonder
Do you hear me when you sleep ?
I hoarsely cry
Why ..."

Yes. :o

Really believe this site has become a place where real Morrissey fans (and by this I mean those who don't just come on here to slag him off) are tussling with people who have just jumped on a Anti Morrissey bandwagon. Morrissey solo has been given publicity through the T Shirt incident and is now a place to bash him. To the real fans (and I'm sure there are many) lets keep this thread Up there with the likes of.... 'Like him but.....' 'boycott Morrissey tour' 'Career advice for Morrissey' 'How the mighty have fallen' etc etc.

Last edited:
I think you're right there Mr H.O. I fall somewhere in between the two extremes. I feel the new songs are a bit sub-par but I'm delighted Morrissey is still touring, and I think the current setlist is the best one since 2002.
If the Stephen Street rumour is true, I'm sure a brilliant album could be forthcoming. If it isn't, and the new album is also without Alain Whyte compositions, I'd be a little less optimistic.

Really believe this site has become a place where real Morrissey fans (and by this I mean those who don't just come on here to slag him off) are tussling with people who have just jumped on a Anti Morrissey bandwagon. Morrissey solo has been given publicity through the T Shirt incident and is now a place to bash him. To the real fans (and I'm sure there are many) lets keep this thread Up there with the 'Like him but....' and 'boycott Morrissey tour till so and so is reinstated' etc etc.

The Smiths didn't do it either. It's one of the most perfect records ever made. The Smiths did quite a few, my favourites include Please, please, please let me get what I want, Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me and I even think things like Shoplifters and Some girls are absolute genius. Although Morrissey has been just as good often throughout his solo career he's band hasn't. It's a good job Morrissey can transend often unremarkable tunes into something fantastic.

I like this thread. If I ever met Morrissey, the one thing i'd want to say to him most and would probably forget to say to him, would simply be 'thankyou'.

Firstly, thanks for a rare positive thread on here. Let's keep it going. I agree 100%, Suffer Little Children is quite possibly the most haunting, powerful songs ever written, it still makes me shiver to this day. Also, when you consider that this was the very first Morrissey/Marr composition - what a start to a beautiful relationship. Well I Wonder is in my opinion, one of the top ten Smiths songs. It's just so touching and melodic, Johnny's guitar melody is stunning. I could go on forever.

I haven't got adequate words to describe "Well I Wonder". It's heartbreaking, it's devastating, and it's so incredibly simple that the voice is the absolute central focus - sublime.

I think this is a great Smiths song and I never hear anyone say otherwise. Someone called it underrated but I don't think it is. Perhaps not talked about enough... Hmm.. I should try to find it's score from the poll.

EDIT: It got great ratings from the voters... http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/81910-The-Moz-Smiths-Top-100-Part-213-WELL-I-WONDER

Lyrically Unloveable is a good one Amy....I wore black for many years but for other reasons...

'Well I Wonder' is in my opinion the most underrated of The Smiths songs.

I love Unlovable. A truly underrated gem. Musically, it tentatively captures the inadequacy of the protagonist. It doesn't impose itself and seems barely there. It perfectly captures the introverted thoughts of the cripplingly lonely.

Thank you for not being afraid to say the wrong thing for the right reason. For never apologising. For not allowing the facts to dampen your acute sense of the dramatic. For being playful, spiteful, kind and unforgiving. For being flippant and deadly serious and not always tipping us off as to which is which. For stepping shyly into the firing line. For your weird and wonderful twisting consistency. For being several steps ahead even when you appeared to be lagging hopelessly behind. For understanding that maturity is a terrible trap and is nothing to aspire to. And for all those incredible lyrics and melodies and ideas. For giving me pause for thought, and sending me scuttling off in search of further information. For disappointing me, thoroughly pissing me off, then catching my ear again. For setting the standard then refusing to live up to it. For being an awkward little bastard.

It’s been a right old carry-on. Long may it continue.

driving your girlfriend home
children in pieces
rubber ring
christian dior
i've changed my plea to guilty
action is my middle name

thank you.

Back
Top Bottom