Terrence Stamp or Morrissey-Which is the rarer cover star?

A

Albert Seaton

On the What Difference does it Make? sleeve.
I've often seen the Terrence cover described as being rare because it was withdrawn after he objected to his image being used. But it's the record I bought and the one I've seen most often in 2nd hand shops. Surely by the time the Stamp cover was withdrawn most people who were going to buy the record already had done making the Morrissey mock up cover the rarer of the 2? They're both long deleted now. Anyone know the answer?

> On the What Difference does it Make? sleeve.
> I've often seen the Terrence cover described as being rare because it was
> withdrawn after he objected to his image being used. But it's the record I
> bought and the one I've seen most often in 2nd hand shops. Surely by the
> time the Stamp cover was withdrawn most people who were going to buy the
> record already had done making the Morrissey mock up cover the rarer of
> the 2? They're both long deleted now. Anyone know the answer?

It's got to be the Terrance Stamp one, but none of the official Smiths singles are really that rare, 'This Charming Man' 12" is probebly as rare as it gets. I've never come accross too many copies of the 'That joke isn't funny anymore' 12".

The Morrissey cover is rarer. The Stamp cover is worth more money. Go figure.

Re: The Morrissey cover is rarer. The Stamp cover is worth more money. Go figure.

I can't figure that out. Can you explain it?

Re: The Morrissey cover is rarer. The Stamp cover is worth more money. Go figure.

> I can't figure that out. Can you explain it?

Can I have a go ?

Didn't Terrence Stamp allow his image to be used in the end, therefore the later pressings were the same as the originals. So the Morrissey cover was only used for a short time. Errr maybe ????

You are spot on, my vinyl-loving chum.

Terence Stamp did get narked at his image being used. I don't think permission had been asked at the time of release, so they withdrew it and replaced it with the Morrissey one. Then he decided having the still from 'The Collector' as a single sleeve was OK by him and it was re-replaced.

> Can I have a go ?

> Didn't Terrence Stamp allow his image to be used in the end, therefore the
> later pressings were the same as the originals. So the Morrissey cover was
> only used for a short time. Errr maybe ????

> You are spot on, my vinyl-loving chum.

> Terence Stamp did get narked at his image being used. I don't think
> permission had been asked at the time of release, so they withdrew it and
> replaced it with the Morrissey one. Then he decided having the still from
> 'The Collector' as a single sleeve was OK by him and it was re-replaced.

All this still doesn't answer my question....which is the rarest?
Anyone have a definitive answer?

I've found the Stamp cover the least easily available, does that help?

Grim

> All this still doesn't answer my question....which is the rarest?
> Anyone have a definitive answer?

Soz, I got a bit side-tracked.

According to the 2004 Record Collector Rare Record Guide, the Morrissey sleeve is "worth" £15 and the Terence Stamp one, £12 - both for mint condition.

> Soz, I got a bit side-tracked.

> According to the 2004 Record Collector Rare Record Guide, the Morrissey
> sleeve is "worth" £15 and the Terence Stamp one, £12 - both for
> mint condition.
>

The Record Collector Rare Record guide is a bit inaccurate at times, they have got the Kirsty MacColl 'You caught me out' 7" from 1979 at £6.00. I wish - this is ultra rare, and would go in the region of hundreds. I really must write to them about this one day.

Peepholism mentions that (some of) the original Terrence Stamp cover didn't have "The Smiths" on the sleeve. Must have made it a bit confusing.

> The Record Collector Rare Record guide is a bit inaccurate at times, they
> have got the Kirsty MacColl 'You caught me out' 7" from 1979 at
> £6.00. I wish - this is ultra rare, and would go in the region of
> hundreds. I really must write to them about this one day.

Back
Top Bottom