Tell us about the last film you watched, pt 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
I don't have a streaming or delivery subscription at the moment, having cancelled Netflix some months ago, but the selections mentioned here make MUBI look compelling. I guess I'll have to decide between that and the Criterion Channel.
I tried to subscribe to the Criterion Channel once, but it seems that they are restricted to the US.
Some of the mubi films can easily be watched on Youtube or other websites, but, of course, i would've never been made aware of them without the mubi curation.

Watched a mesmerizing "Visions of Ecstasy" yesterday. It's 20 mins long.

One of the actresses had a visible smallpox vaccination scar on her upper arm, which was kind of incongruent as this scene most likely is supposed to take place in a time before nationwide vaccination programmes.

Then I watched the Nico, 1988 movie, which i liked a lot.

Nico, 1988 is a 2017 biographical film based on pop singer Nico directed by Susanna Nicchiarelli. A co-production between Italy and Belgium, it was shot in English language. The film had its world premiere at the Venice Festival on 31 August 2017. The film follows Nico during the last year of her life.

I liked how this whole Nico hype was reduced to its bare, maybe Prussian?, essentials. It seems that even in her late 40s, she was trying to cope with her childhood past and the many retraumatizations, and then put it into her art, which made her a very vulnerable person, dependent on other people's support and patience. Probably she considered her early years with the Velvet Underground as a big distraction that had separated herself from her origins and the pain that she wanted to work through.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Men": there's a very upsetting scene: a bloody man sits on a nice sofa, and you can't watch because you just know that won't come off.
Apart from that difficult moment, it's a walk in the park. Woods.

Made by a man, surprisingly ( although not really, they usually know very little about difficult stains).

Went ahead and watched this mini series called Under The Banner Of Heaven.
It's about these murders that happen in a Mormon community in Utah and how
the murders are tied to the concealed origins of the Mormon religion.

High-Rise, based on a novel by J.G. Ballard was a disappointment

From one point in the story, the 2015 film continues to indulge only in the decay and deterioration of the building and the life within, without making clear enough why this has happened at all. Ballard wrote this dystopian story in 1975. Once the power is cut off (and here it is the house itself, which fails or wants to fail), our civilized life will regress into brutal primitivism again. There is a short story by Ballard, in which a traumatized house, that once belonged to a Hollywood star, is trying to kill its new owners. Once we equip our houses with all sorts of technology, which is partly or completely externally controlled, we are puppets in the hand of the powerful. And they are the ones who offer us a place to live and other amenities of modern life. On the other hand, also architecture itself, just by being there, will influence our perception and behaviour, and thus manipulate our mind.

The Doors: When You're Strange (2009)

I think I've seen this before or most of the video footage in other productions. Quite entertaining, though most of the stories are a battered old hat by now. Still gripping. I liked that they put the focus also on the other band members' contribution to the success. The cock-incidence was a bit overblown, so were some of the conversations, which were retold in uninteresting detail rather than paraphrased. But maybe this added some immediacy to the film. Enjoyed it.

Has anybody seen this Nick Cave docu (One More Time with Feeling) yet?

Went ahead and got reminded of The Jericho Mile,
cause of the passin' of Roger Mosley.
This was a made for TV picture, that I would watch
a lot when I was a kid.
It's about a runner in Folsom Prison.
Until now, I never realized in was directed by
Michael Mann.
Went ahead and found it on you tube.
It's still a heck of a picture.

It's easily my fav of all Ozon filmography (I recommend also "Summer of 85"). I watched "Young and beautiful" at the teather.

Thanks for your recommendation! It's great, enjoyed it a lot. Wouldn't have watched it without your recommendation. The best Ozon movie I've seen so far.

The phrase "Your mother can be really proud of you" has a completely new meaning now.
The cutest scene was when Alexis asks his mother about this obscure uncle whose name has suddenly popped up, "Did you like Uncle Jackie?" and she chokingly replies "yes".

I wonder whether you also sensed a hidden message of this film, namely that you better do not tell the truth to the others so that they can understand your reactions, because if you do, everything will end in chaos and destruction. It leads to David's death and it seems that this stock hetero story they made up about two guys getting into a fight for a girl, convinced the judge that Alexis deserves a relatively mild punishment.

In retrospect, I would say that 1985 was the last summer of innocence. HIV was not an issue, Rock Hudson would die a few months later, Tschernobyl wasn't yet known, bovine spongiform encephalopathy not yet at the horizon, also the Gulf Wars and the threat of a nuclear war.

Thanks for your recommendation! It's great, enjoyed it a lot. Wouldn't have watched it without your recommendation. The best Ozon movie I've seen so far.

The phrase "Your mother can be really proud of you" has a completely new meaning now.
The cutest scene was when Alexis asks his mother about this obscure uncle whose name has suddenly popped up, "Did you like Uncle Jackie?" and she chokingly replies "yes".

I wonder whether you also sensed a hidden message of this film, namely that you better do not tell the truth to the others so that they can understand your reactions, because if you do, everything will end in chaos and destruction. It leads to David's death and it seems that this stock hetero story they made up about two guys getting into a fight for a girl, convinced the judge that Alexis deserves a relatively mild punishment.

In retrospect, I would say that 1985 was the last summer of innocence. HIV was not an issue, Rock Hudson would die a few months later, Tschernobyl wasn't yet known, bovine spongiform encephalopathy not yet at the horizon, also the Gulf Wars and the threat of a nuclear war.
Ooow, I'm very glad you've enjoyed it. The Ozon movie I like the most is "Young and Beautiful" but "Summer of '85" is really moving and beautiful.

And I agree: 85 is the year that innocence was lost. I guess we can say the same about the early 2020, somehow.

Really, I was touched. A film about art, love and humanity. Certainly not about today's broken modern world.

7782533.6.jpg

Pop Music: The Great Recycling Business, 30 mins

"Have you ever wondered why pop songs sometimes sound a little too familiar? Welcome to the world of pop-recycling where borrowing, sampling and interpolation are the order of the day. Featuring interviews with Placebo, Ed Sheeran, Charlie XCX and Lauv."

Eye- and ear-opening.
Even Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan did it.

The question why there is a lack of originality in pop music nowadays is partly answered.
First, there is no money in originality any longer. People want to recognize what they already know. Mainstream listeners are extremely conservative in their tastes.

I think another point is that those who have original ideas keep them to themselves nowadays, or they copyright them to protect their intellectual property. Big media outlets, on the other hand, have bots that comb through social media sites and report on every post with a lot of likes, dislikes or laughs, as these can then profitably be used by their writers. One wonders who else profits from these mechanisms.

I enjoyed last night in Soho.
(No, I "wasn't there".:rolleyes:)

Great soundtrack, too.

I was looking to buy a dvd of Blood Of A Poet, which doesn't seem readily available, but I found a notice of an event in the Irish Film Institute to discuss it, along with a similar shorter film, Meshes of the Afternoon, made in 1943 by, and starring Maya Deren, which also became a big influence on other films.

This review helped me to understand it better.

I was looking to buy a dvd of Blood Of A Poet, which doesn't seem readily available, but I found a notice of an event in the Irish Film Institute to discuss it, along with a similar shorter film, Meshes of the Afternoon, made in 1943 by, and starring Maya Deren, which also became a big influence on other films.

This review helped me to understand it better.

Watched Meshes on mubi a few years ago and found it quite mezmerizing. Not sure about Blood of a poet though.

Back
Top Bottom