tell us about the last Film you saw

35087_1_medium.jpg

Almodovar is brilliant as usual in what might well be inspired by his own life and career as this is about a film director. Banderas only gets better with age and plays a gay film director who starts chasing the dragon with an actor from an old cult movie of his. A look back on a mans life in the wake of illness and personal trials.

https://swefilmer.to/pain-and-glory-2019/

two don siegel movies:
the beguiled with geraldine page

if it wasnt for the bad child actresses, i couldve really liked this film. great cinematography. clint eastwood as the yankee soldier looks like an injured koala having to wear bandages on his two hands for the longest part of the movie which takes place during tje american civil war at a southern school for "young ladies" run by a miss martha. eastwood, representing the male sexual principle, ends up there injured.
but the women of the southern states, even though sensual, are also too tough for the northern soldier to handle. he is doomed.
highlight of the film, and probably the inspiration for steven kings "she", is the amputation scene and eastwood realizing it's all gone, the broken leg that is.

probably the film is also about war being a chance for women to gain independence from men, as also fassbinder has shown in "maria braun".

i liked siegel's walter matthau film "charlie varrick" more. suspenseful from the beginning to the end, even though the plot is quite simple being about a successful bank robbery that turns out a curse as the money stolen belongs to the mafia.

stereotypical in its depiction of the asian mafia and gender. the feminist and sexual revolution mustve been a great challenge for this director. he was looking for a masculine figure that could master it all employing different strategies of survival. eventually, he was able to transform these influences into something beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got back from seeing knives out. Superb movie. Amazing cast. It was at times dryly funny a serious commentary about class as well a a true tribute to the mystery novel genre. On the way home today a man jumped off of the bay bridge and likely died. Happened right next to in front of the emergency worker trying to talk him down so to speak

wild_pear_tree_import-46285705-frntl.jpg

Lately I've become fond of long movies of around 3 hours and this is one of those. A turkish movie about a young man returning to his home village after studies trying to find a publisher for his novel.

This is filled with long dialogues about life and death and everything inbetween and a more realistic and reasonable look at people from the muslim community.

The beauty and sadness of life as the characters live their daily life which includes long walks in the beautiful yet somehow harsh environment of the turkish town of Can. The end leaves you wondering what to believe like two alternative endings and early on I felt that the end would be tragic but maybe the end depends on who you are.

https://swefilmer.to/the-wild-pear-tree-2018/

Watched good time with Robert Pattinson and it was a good time. A very unpredictable movie

I’m probably gonna see this. I think Sandler is a good dramatic actor and have only heard good things. I’m gonna say it again Alcaeus it’s just so rare these days. It was a good year for films

I’m probably gonna see this. I think Sandler is a good dramatic actor and have only heard good things. I’m gonna say it again Alcaeus it’s just so rare these days. It was a good year for films

He doesn’t do anything that was a real stretch for him but that isn’t knocking his performance at all. He’s a lot more subdued and that’s great to see. I hope he does more films like this.

He doesn’t do anything that was a real stretch for him but that isn’t knocking his performance at all. He’s a lot more subdued and that’s great to see. I hope he does more films like this.

me too. I loved him in punch drunk love. I think that manic frustration thing he does well in his comedies works for him when he directs it towards drama. He does a man in pain really well for a comedian

"imitation of life" from 1934 is running on mubi at the moment. it fascinated me from beginning to end, mostly the story of the two women, black and white, successfully realizing their american dream. on the other hand, the stereotypical depiction of aunt delilah also made me cringe in pain over and over again.

seems that it was one of the first hollywood film that made race an issue, even though not a social and political one. race is presented as an irrational error in reasoning of aunt delilah's white-skinned daughter who is embarrassed of her black mama, with the film never explaining the reasons for that.

the title left me puzzled though.

4 out of 5 lanterns

16 mins short version of ladj ly's les miserables...

felt bored. thank god there are urban jungles in which certain types of men can prove that the reptile part of their brain is still functioning. they wouldnt be able to survive in any other, more modern, setting as they are an anachronism in the 21st century. maybe with the help of modern technology though, they might be able to keep up with the majority. so there is hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
yi okseop's film from south korea called maggie...

felt bored. promising director though but the story simply lacks depth and the characters charisma. pretty immature yet.

yawn. jean renoirs la grand illusion from 1937

i remembered watchin this film decades ago and that i fell asleep back then, for good reasons. one of the most overrated films ever. i dont mind a humanist worldview in contrast to divisive war-mongering one, but this one here comes across as completely old-fashioned, male-centered and artificial. my grandmother wouldve liked it, coz of all these funny and healthy men with full hair makin you giggly and cheerful even in times of war.
so what is the modern equivalent to films like this which certainly were great in their own time, but not today in the 21st century.
2/5 lanterns
i dont like lookin at jean gabin for so long.

lets see what else mubi has on offer...:straightface:

Most of my favorite movies are character driven explorations of the human condition. The best of these challenge the viewer to put themselves in the shoes of each character even if it proves to be disturbing and unsettling, and those actors that are able to capture and convey the flaws and strengths of their character through the camera lens in a powerful and realistic way are truly the cream of their profession. This is an example of such a movie:

Most of my favorite movies are character driven explorations of the human condition. The best of these challenge the viewer to put themselves in the shoes of each character even if it proves to be disturbing and unsettling, and those actors that are able to capture and convey the flaws and strengths of their character through the camera lens in a powerful and realistic way are truly the cream of their profession. This is an example of such a movie:

Thanks for describing every movie if done right.

YES!

I have yet another 3 hour movie to watch tonight and it's the directors cut as well. I play most films on Potplayer by taking the video stream from a website with a good server and Potplayer makes 1080 movies look fantastic and the sound is too.

I do download subtitles and it's more about being used to it than needing them in most cases when it comes to english speaking movies of course.

Very excited to watch this sequel or whatever you should call it of one of my all time fave movies and it includes a swedish actress.

mubi france is showing "pasolini" with willem dafoe this month...

this film sounded interesting, but of course it didnt help dissolving my headache coz of too much noisy italian wailin' and opera singin soundtrack throughout the movie, only briefly interrupted by moments of silence in which the human voice gravely depicts catholic images of hellish sex and violence.

maybe one of the anonymous threadshitters of this forum can find a link to the movie so that the endless number of sexually frustrated men and boys around can happily wank off tonite. the film begins with naked women arse-raped, there are scenes of gang-bang blow jobs in the park, among other things.

the film depicts pasolini as a kind, interesting and intelligent person haunted by the gravity of his hellish worldview which is presented episodically throughout the story.

i wouldve enjoyed more of the interview scenes in which he uses language instead of over-emotionalized graphic images to analyse his visions. but i know that such a film wouldnt have appealed to the mainstream audience.

in this film, the italian bourgeois family life is depicted in stereotypical ways. italians are represented as being great with children, pasolini's mum is a great mum, thus it cant be her fault.

3/5 lanterns

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom