tell us about the last Film you saw

Enjoyed the scenes with romy schneider and klaus kinski, otherwise the film is imho not really noteworthy.

Romy et klaus

The Servant. They are listed in order of preference. You?
havent seen them (yet). couldnt tune my mind into 60s relationship dramas from the uk when corona became an issue.

if you want to see more of losey and can make it into mubi.uk with a proxy, there was losey's 'accident' from 1967 launched today with handsome dirk bogarde as an oxford prof.

i think i'm gonna watch "too late to die young" on mubi france instead. it's a chilean film about some youngsters trying to make sense of their lives in a post-pinochet chile.

Para los hispanoparlantes y para quienes quieren aprender el idioma :)

Last edited:
as banal as the music...

--- slightly better than the duran duran docu 'unstaged' by david lynch.

Throne of Blood ?
E23199AE-C091-44F7-B23F-128694A04D98.jpeg

watched the Waco miniseries on Netflix (not a movie, but theres no thread for "what miniseries are you watching?" or 'what are you watching on Netflix?"). really outstanding!! im surprised how accurate it was. there was a time when to tell the truth about waco was to risk getting blacklisted, as quite a few writers did.
the only thing that could've used a bit more accuracy, i think, was at the end where it shows the fbi agent desperately trying to free a woman from the compound that was filling with flammable gas. in reports that I've read of the way it happened that day, there were fbi agents standing on the door that opened out of the ground to prevent anyone from escaping. also on infrared camera it was shown that when people did try to escape the burning building shots were being fired at them from the periphery. the fact is, the fbi did not want any survivors who could tell their story, much the same as they had to bulldoze the compound afterward and disappear the door so that there would not be any evidence to tell the story of how it all went down.
all the parts were so well acted but taylor kitsch especially did a fantastic job as david koresh.

watched the Waco miniseries on Netflix (not a movie, but theres no thread for "what miniseries are you watching?" or 'what are you watching on Netflix?"). really outstanding!! im surprised how accurate it was. there was a time when to tell the truth about waco was to risk getting blacklisted, as quite a few writers did.
the only thing that could've used a bit more accuracy, i think, was at the end where it shows the fbi agent desperately trying to free a woman from the compound that was filling with flammable gas. in reports that I've read of the way it happened that day, there were fbi agents standing on the door that opened out of the ground to prevent anyone from escaping. also on infrared camera it was shown that when people did try to escape the burning building shots were being fired at them from the periphery. the fact is, the fbi did not want any survivors who could tell their story, much the same as they had to bulldoze the compound afterward and disappear the door so that there would not be any evidence to tell the story of how it all went down.
all the parts were so well acted but taylor kitsch especially did a fantastic job as david koresh.

What are you watching on Netflix? (or is it in Netflix? who knows) deserves its own thread during this quarantine period.

it is not that easy to find the short films on mubi, but i was able to ferret out two of them.

traditionalist that i am when it comes to watching movies, i need a starter before the main film.

this canadian one is called "delphine" and was directed by chloe robichaud. i liked the camera shots that added a lot to the film's melancholia:

mubi.usa has launched a 3-film canadian special. i will return to that.

TONY MANERO by pablo larrain, 2008, chile

chile during the brutal pinochet dictatorship era in the late 1970s. raul, a man in his 50s, dreams of winning a tony manero lookalike contest on tv. strangely enough, it took me awhile to acknowledge that this guy is actually a psychopathic killer. probably, it is the depiction of poverty and everyday brutality during the pinochet era, during which most of human life seems to have been reduced to its primitive basics, everyone suffering from depression, which makes him look more or less like an ordinary guy.
in addition, he has this dream of winning the tv contest, and everything he does, serves this purpose. it's this one man's effort to find a way out of his depression.
alfredo castro, who is manero, does a great job. in the course of the film he is slowly and miraculously turning into a crude al pacino / tony montana - lookalike.
i also liked pablo larrain's el club from 2015 a lot, mostly for its slow and always surprising unveiling of "the truth" which is never slapped into your face but dawns on you

5/5 lanterns :isakayalantern::isakayalantern::isakayalantern::isakayalantern::isakayalantern:

Last edited by a moderator:
quickly, coz i wanna listen to some music now.

second short film i found is a german one called "toyland" and shown on mubi.japan at the moment (or on youtube)
sorry to say it, but this film, which won the oscar for best short film in 2009, is excruciatingly cliche-ridden and dull like, to name just one example, the beloved teddybear falling onto the snow-covered pavement, for ever lost.

german films are usually not recognized internationally unless they deal with the nazi times. in order to win an oscar, you better devote your time to this topic. like many other films dealing with nazi germany, this one starts off, as one would expect, like a 1980s commercial for margarine interrupted ever so brutally by the horrendous reality represented by arrogant, dumb and uncompassionate members of the ss and sa. the two boys are ever so cutely naive, the good mothers ever so devoted and loving, the nazis ever so brutal. as if it wasnt enough riding on clichees, they had to do the inevitable time jump at the end, the two pairs of hands playing the piano now being the hands of two old men, the camera slowly moving along old family photographs... YAWN!!

i prefer rainer werner's "lili marleen" to this boring story-telling any time:

Okay, this said, let's continue. afterwards, i watched losey's "accident" on mubi.uk.
i guess that this film was an inspiration and guideline for many young men at that time with dirk bogarde an epitome of style and attractively cool but always classy behaviour. unfortunately, the presentation of women is very old-fashioned, either they are pregant wives and mothers, or unhappy single women with a job, or pretty and sexually generous but also dumb and unable to drive a car so that men who let them get behind the wheel even die. they will be punished by having to sit on the backseats for ever.
@countthree , surely worth to watch though. cinematography is great.

i wondered whether this film was actually about the question of how to be comfortable with people one hardly knows. i was surprised to see how close dirk (stephan, by name) and his students were, visiting each other at home, lounging around like a bunch of cats in a basket. getting drunk of course helps with that. in contrast, there is the cold, ugly and efficient modern workplace, like the tv station. of course, the aristocratic oxford leisureliness won't last any longer after the accident. a world going extinct. problem: women want to drive too, and men cant resist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched half of The Exorcist but I was tired and have to finish it later. I feel like I've seen it because every scene has been discussed but I never saw it before.
Yesterday I watch Season 2 episode 22 of X-Files because i read about it on reddit. It has Dean Norris and involves a pandemic. It's a really good episode. Not a 'monster of the week" but not a "mytharc" eposode either though it does have Cigarette Smoking Man.
First Dean Norris is very Hank-ish but then Mulder takes over. It's on Hulu and on some free sites. Check it out.
MV5BYmU1N2IwZGYtMTExOS00ZTNhLTlkZTEtZTE5MTVlZTI3NmU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

quickly, coz i wanna listen to some music now.

second short film i found is a german one called "toyland" and shown on mubi.japan at the moment (or on youtube)
sorry to say it, but this film, which won the oscar for best short film in 2009, is excruciatingly cliche-ridden and dull like, to name just one example, the beloved teddybear falling onto the snow-covered pavement, for ever lost.

german films are usually not recognized internationally unless they deal with the nazi times. in order to win an oscar, you better devote your time to this topic. like many other films dealing with nazi germany, this one starts off, as one would expect, like a 1980s commercial for margarine interrupted ever so brutally by the horrendous reality represented by arrogant, dumb and uncompassionate members of the ss and sa. the two boys are ever so cutely naive, the good mothers ever so devoted and loving, the nazis ever so brutal. as if it wasnt enough riding on clichees, they had to do the inevitable time jump at the end, the two pairs of hands playing the piano now being the hands of two old men, the camera slowly moving along old family photographs... YAWN!!

i prefer rainer werner's "lili marleen" to this boring story-telling any time:

Okay, this said, let's continue. afterwards, i watched losey's "accident" on mubi.uk.
i guess that this film was an inspiration and guideline for many young men at that time with dirk bogarde an epitome of style and attractively cool but always classy behaviour. unfortunately, the presentation of women is very old-fashioned, either they are pregant wives and mothers, or unhappy single women with a job, or pretty and sexually generous but also dumb and unable to drive a car so that men who let them get behind the wheel even die. they will be punished by having to sit on the backseats for ever.
@countthree , surely worth to watch though. cinematography is great.

i wondered whether this film was actually about the question of how to be comfortable with people one hardly knows. i was surprised to see how close dirk (stephan, by name) and his students were, visiting each other at home, lounging around like a bunch of cats in a basket. getting drunk of course helps with that. in contrast, there is the cold, ugly and efficient modern workplace, like the tv station. of course, the aristocratic oxford leisureliness won't last any longer after the accident. a world going extinct. problem: women want to drive too, and men cant resist.

I already watched it in Mubi.com. Great film, with the usual flaws about women et al. Losey knew how to make films indeed. I suspect the actress who played the role of the student wasn't a first choice. I'm not atracted by Bogarde at all, he reminds me of my cousin who is stupid but not a bad person. Stanley Baker reminds me of Joaquin Phoenix. He was a great actor and made a lot of films with Losey.

I watched half of The Exorcist but I was tired and have to finish it later. I feel like I've seen it because every scene has been discussed but I never saw it before.
Yesterday I watch Season 2 episode 22 of X-Files because i read about it on reddit. It has Dean Norris and involves a pandemic. It's a really good episode. Not a 'monster of the week" but not a "mytharc" eposode either though it does have Cigarette Smoking Man.
First Dean Norris is very Hank-ish but then Mulder takes over. It's on Hulu and on some free sites. Check it out.
MV5BYmU1N2IwZGYtMTExOS00ZTNhLTlkZTEtZTE5MTVlZTI3NmU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

Dean Norris was in Better Call Saul and in Claws, too.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom