tell us about the last Film you saw

MV5BYTJlNjlkZTktNjEwOS00NzI5LTlkNDAtZmEwZDFmYmM2MjU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_SY1000_CR006741000_AL_.jpg

27 years later the kids are adults with lives and careers but return to Derry as the only one who remained there keeps his promise and calls them all when Pennywise returns.

This is extremely entertaining and to me it is a full blown comedy with so many references to other movies and things you probably need to watch it a few times to get it all.

Opens with a homophobic attack on a gay couple and surprisingly the anti gay vibes pop up later as well. Like in any classic movie adaptation of his books Stephen King pops up in this one playing a store owner.

It feels like he is behind a few things in this movie and the big vaccines sign tells me he might be one of many questioning them and what is in those shots people are getting. The Shining reference with "Here's Johnny" is funny but so are most of the things in this one cause if you watch this as anything else than an entertaining movie which has almost genre in it you will feel like watching a circus.

A swedish clown is the leader of it.

https://nyafilmer.to/it-chapter-two/

Do they play a ABBA song or is it some band who tried their hardest to sound like them?

Moving end somehow and a weird cast that still works. Jake Weary from Animal Kingdom playing the opening scenes gay basher was a surprise.

This is like Stranger Things meets Alien meets a whole lot of movies and at one point it feels like a family adventure movie where you expect everyone to smile at it instead of hiding behind a pillow all scared.

May this story rest in peace now!

The scene from the synagoge is funny and weird and I doubt jews like the attitude of the young man. Like everything in this movie is taking the piss.

If I listed it all people would think they had followed me on this board when writing it.

fassbinder - lilli marleen (1981)

the most easily digestible fassbinder i have watched so far. a very pretty film about the power of music, especially the story of one song, which, in unison with the female singer, can bring even dictatorships to their knees, coz for the soldier, once lying in the dirty trench, and all ludicrous dreams of heroism replaced by shitty pants, the memory of mama's love is always stronger than that of papa's accolate...

lotsa 1950s douglas sirk melodramatic cinematography with just a little bit of subversion here and there. blurry images and glowing objects surrounded by starlit lanterns and other sources of illumination.

at 1:30 you can see the most beautifully glowin record in film history, softly rotatin on its turntable... (and at 2:30 as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
im totally stressed out. mubi has launched fassbinders fifteen(!)-hour-long berlin alexanderplatz based on the novel by alfred döblin. i have 27 days to watch it.
made it through the first 70 mins last night, and honestly, wasnt that impressed. i dont need to watch 15 hours of film to learn more about one simple man, really not, even if he is a murderer.

what i liked though was the slow pace of the narrative flow. gives you an impression about how life mustve been decades ago, the experience of space was still important.

made it to the 4th hour of berlin alexanderplatz.
hate seeing the slaughterhouse scenes with one sheep actually halal slaughtered for the camera.
real-life slaughter for the passion narrative that fassbinder wants to draw a parallel to. we dont need such shit in 21st century art nor in religion. f*** off you insensitive dicks, you dont know what love is.

hallright. made it into the 7th hour of berlin alexanderplatz. franz biberkopf has lost his right arm. we now know that, being a armless cripple, the budding nazi society will have to kill him.
seems the novel was fassbinder's teenage saviour, like we probably all had this one special novel that sorta saved us when we were still very impressionable and eagerly lookin for somethin for our budding identity to feel at home with. maybe he was tryin to reconnect to this former youthful energy.
currently, i cant find much to relate to. enjoy the neverending background music though, and the light effects, without which the 15 hours of filmic storytelling would simply be unbearably slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
We tried to watch Mon Frere or Bro the french drama but yet another Netflix failure. Can't they just pack it in and admit defeat?

Completely unwatchable!

one hour of 15 left of "berlin alexanderplatz".
franz biberkopf has gone mad after mietze's murder, and is presently goin through all sorts of nightmares, hallucinations and deliriums, while sitting in the looney bin.

in the meantime i watched "der stadtstreicher", rwf's second short film, from 1966, 11:30 mins short with a "cameo" in a pissoir at around 9 mins in:

an urban vagrant finds a gun and is trying to find a place to shoot himself which is not that easy. the two guys who take his gun away at the end look like the two angels in wim wender's "wings of desire". quite liked this short film, other than "the little chaos", his third shorty, which sucked.

watched "fontane effi briest" as well. the lovely, lively "nature's child" effie, 17 of age, is married to the austere, 20 years older district magistrate von instetten. her early death is in the cards.

what i like in fontane is that it is not always the womens job to provide warmth in a rigid world, often it's the men, some of them, here it's the dad, who allows his child to come back home ("effi, komm!") after the scandal.

part of my rigorous fassbinder program is of course makin myself also acquainted with douglas sirk's movies...

seems that fassy specially was fascinated by sirks colour palette, which is indeed amazin, if you keep in mind that they were all produced in the 50s, thus preceding all pop-art and its influence on tv series, like batman, eg.

well, what i particularly liked about the film is its narrative curtness. something, i guess, fassie was never really able to pin down and fully comprehend, being a catholic boy.
folks in this movie are honest in their conversations, thus dialogues are short and informative mostly, no need to get into lengthy emotional evasive maneuvres, draggin folks deeper and deeper. those who lost that skill of bravely comin to the point quickly, will suffer.
take this example netween father and son:
father: so whats the problem,son?
son: only prob is that im in love with my best friends wife.
father: does she love ya too?
son: no, its strictly one-sided.
full stop. end of scene. next one.

why does this work? coz dads not gettin into a moral outbreak, throwin the audience into a cauldron of fake emotional turmoil.
no fuss, just facts.

i love that. its refreshing in melodramas.
bringin things to the point, so that the essential necessities can shine and stick out more prominently in their beauty.

never seen a more brutally realistic depiction of my parents' generation.
fassbinder as the greek from greece is not that convincing, though. he just wanted to be silly, which is okay with me. his broken german sounds much too bavarian for a mediterranean gastarbeiter, "fickyficky", etc.

fassbinder - katzelmacher (1969)

Marriage story is fantastic
I concur and Adam Driver delivers like he always does. Finest actor right now and the argument scene in his apartment where he punches the wall is Oscar winning performance. Had to chuckle when Pablo fingered Scarlett in a car

I concur and Adam Driver delivers like he always does. Finest actor right now and the argument scene in his apartment where he punches the wall is Oscar winning performance. Had to chuckle when Pablo fingered Scarlett in a car

Or when he tried to open the cabinet the wrong way. I’ve been on the fence about him as I thought he was good but I was curious about his range and this role stretched it a bit so kudos on that. He was really good but everything was great about this movie. The way she took him out of the pictures and him saying he wasn’t gonna disappear from her life meaning she couldn’t pretend it never happened. All of her subtle lies throughout the story. Hope it wins a ton of awards. Liked while were young as well. Think I mentioned it here a while back

I’m watching The Dark Knight on television right now. I’ve forgotten how good it is!

And this swede is saving every movie for xmas. I even have a xmas movie folder on the laptop.

And this swede is saving every movie for xmas. I even have a xmas movie folder on the laptop.
Because you hoity toity's out there might have a short xmas for a few days but swedes do it in style this year as it is 2 weeks long plus a few days more.

I hope we can go grocery shopping for 2 weeks later this week. Pilla is really taking it seriously writing it all down. We may need a small train of shopping carts and if I am unwell I can sit in one and suck my thumb and moan about not being well.

source.gif

https://media2.giphy.com/media/pgCjYtasNIrqo/source.gif

The floor at Piggly Wiggly is brown to match the customers that you call black. Burn victims go black.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom