tell us about the last Film you saw

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by the more you explore me!, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe Rifke knows if I posted this swedish movie before or not but I am quite sure it didn't come with english subs then as it does now.

Not the best picture quality but at least it comes with english subs.

[​IMG]

Forget the other Skarsgård lads this is the best actor in the family.

https://www3.123movies.gdn/vi-watch-free/

"This is a story of IDA and KRISTER. It's about a relationship that goes to hell. They are both crazy in love but manage to strangle the supply of oxygen and adapt to each other in a way that will lead to catastrophic consequences."

Features Rebecca Ferguson related to the duchess of York before her acting career took off abroad.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[​IMG]
    The Lobster

Robert Phoenix

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Same fucking link as the translation at times is awful. Deserves better quality and proper subs.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You were never really here. It’s been a long road for Phoenix who I first saw in quills I think. With this and joker he’s made some good to fantastic movies lately. Hero’s another that comes to mind

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know how the finns were able to steal santa and claim he comes from and live in their country. To even be able to make that claim should break some kind of rule or law. To be fair all the things associated with Christmas come from Germany though the creature called Santa was described by old vikings who had eaten shrooms.
    Alcoholics in delirium always describe little blue midgets or santa like creatures sitting on their chest. If the alcoholic is not afraid of them the blue ones are bored but if the alcoholic is afraid the blue santa creatures make horrible faces.
    My brother has seen them and all his alcoholic friends too. In fact far too many have seen them for us to describe it as just a mental thing associated with alcohol abuse.
    Finland is not the home of santa. But it is a marketing lie that he lives there. Finns are described since old as the niggers of the Baltic Sea. If not for swedes Finland would have been a pile of shit used for nothing by the russians.
    Perspective is a wonderful thing. If Santa was finnish he would be an alcoholic yob using a knife on everyone when drunk that he hides down the boot. I doubt he would wear anything but a pink tracksuit like most finns do.
    Their language is not a language but a sound.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[​IMG]

What a great movie set in the financial world where they start a giant project to speed up fiber optic broadband as a way to get ahead of the competition on the stock market.

Alexander plays Anton the computer nerd russian cousin who is bald on top and has a posture like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

The music sucks though and not a single song managed to lift the scene like a song is supposed to do. But one of the best movies I've watched this year.

https://nyafilmer.to/the-hummingbird-project/

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[​IMG]

"The woman who forgot her past"

Polish drama with a swedish producer and funding. A missing woman from Wroclaw climbs up on a subway platform in Warsaw and starts peeing on it. This is how this drama starts where a woman is reunited with her family after been missing for 2 years thanks to a tv crime show.

Some scenes and the camera work reminded me of Roy Andersson and his strange movies where people are allowed to look normal and ugly. In this the woman walks around naked showing her big bush and some scenes are more like stills.

Very slow movie for the most part as you slowly get to know what happened to her two years ago. I think people watching it will have their own take on it and the end will be up for debate. One of the those strange movies that keep you wondering and overall it is brutally beautiful.

No english subs:

https://nyafilmer.to/fuga/

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[​IMG]

Not my film at all normally as it is a comedy although a dark one here and there but this made me laugh a lot. It opens with the song "I never promised you a rose garden" where two men discuss the meaning of the song.

A depressed dentist is fascinated by a patient who tells him about his life and experiences in Greece back in time. The dentist starts to follow the man until one day the man he follows hangs himself in the woods. Desperate to understand why he did it he pretends to be this greek friend the man had told him about to get near the wife and her family.

I end with a 12 slack or bun-bun check of things in this movie:

Greece
    Ouzo
    Mykonos '87
    Baklava

It has all of those things and more!

https://nyafilmer.to/phil/

• Interesting Interesting x 2
  11. Pablo Honey

Pablo Honey Guest

Psycho thriller about a detective interrogating a suspected killer, but the suspect has tactics of his own. It’s a game of did he do it or not and you would be at the edge of your seat until the end. Film was made in 1998 and can’t believe I just watched it now. This surely must be one of Aussies’ classics.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In the movie he reasons a bit like Moz who asked the question "what would you do if you were not afraid". A way to battle depression is to get some kind of meaning from something else in life.

When my dad died almost a year ago I was at the bottom. I was breathing not living. His accident and injury with death as a consequence meant I had to rise up and get out and have things done.

Because of that I in many ways identified with the man in the movie and understood its message. Christians claim Jesus died on the cross for us and what do they mean by that?

That his death forced people to rethink their lives and find strategies to move on. Tragedy is a source for life for those who are left behind. When someone dies it means a lot has to be done. Practical and emotional considerations and obligations take over.

Therefor the character of Jesus was used as a symbol for everyone that eventually dies forcing those connected to that person to rise up and act and move on with it. Through death can we finally see life and how important it is and what part we all play in it.

Socrates and the unexplored meaningless life has everything to do with Morrissey's words "what would you do if you were not afraid".

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The translation is simply awful but perhaps people will understand the bigger picture anyway.

16. Pablo Honey

Pablo Honey Guest

Watched that movie a few nights ago. I should say I only watched it until he started to repair the bathroom. I lost interest as it became obvious that the plot has turned into melodramatic bonanza.
    It is my constant struggle to understand why people in this day and age believe in religion of any kind. It always makes me mad and think of religious people as deeply deluded. The only thing that makes sense that some people need some sort of hope which can’t be provided from any other source. Is it their weakness? I suppose some people need hope more than others. I was never that person. Things happen. People get sick, people die. It’s part of life. I live in a present and take every day as if it were my last.

17. rifke

rifke queen of the universe

[​IMG]

great movie. sad ending. it was a good bet that it would end the way it did. still I hoped that it would turn out to be a different kind of movie, one in which something good would happen for the cute little boy. seems to me that things would be a lot easier for everyone in this movie if everyone stopped being so damn hostile to each other, starting with the grown ups.
    :rabbitface::rabbitface::rabbitface::rabbitface:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree and the movie died somewhat when it turned into comedy but I also laughed at it knowing full well he wasn't able to build a bathroom like that and for a swede with so many shows on the subject of men trying to do things like that and failing it made it very funny.

But the movie in question meant a lot to me in some strange way but I wish they had dared to make it s serious drama.

19. lanterns

lanterns the original

i quite liked watching this docu coz it was able to carve out the conflict between her somewhat immature high-school personality and the more professional persona of the pioneer woman rock singer in a men's world that she developed or had to develop into. a true transitional figure.

her talent and capital was her belling voice, and she decided to follow that road instead of the girlish-motherly thing, a character trait which she seemingly was never able to shed off or integrate more smoothly. her highschool years must have been traumatizing for her, being publicly ridiculed for the masculine side inside her, and i guess her parents were not being much of any help, so she remained stuck in this emotional state of the helpless victim seeking for parental advice everywhere to overcome the old pain.

but the more she grew into that "rock mama" persona taking hard drugs to make that image look more convincing and lovable to the parentless 60s youth culture, the less there was a chance to get what she actually needed to move on in a more balanced way.

i cant say that i am more interested in her or her music after having watched the film. in the interviews shown she didnt really have much to say besides the "groovy" and "party"- thing which is probably accounted for by her times and the drugged youth culture she wanted to be a part of. unfortunately, her voice alone cannot compensate for that deficit in truly independent thought and will, even if i keep in mind that she was still a young woman back then.

20. lanterns

lanterns the original

martha from 1974 is part 2 of mubis fassbinder series called "the exploitativeness of emotions".

like haneke"s 'funny games', it is about a sadistic psychopath and how he turns his wife martha into a masochistic puppet and servant.

whereas haneke is focussing on how the media's irresponsible treatment of violence is encouraging the psychopath's mindset in its sadistic convictions to be entitled to abusing others, fassbinder's main focus is the victim. he is trying to show what makes this anorexic woman end up being the spineless doormat of her husband, even though she was first portrayed as being rather independent, esp after her fathers death in rome.

15 mins after his death, she meets her future tormentor at the german embassy. the camera movement is amazing...

and so are most of the actresses, as if taken from a movie of the 30s, totally displaced in the 70s, and the beautiful colors, which appear almost liveless in their exuberance.

just like with funny games, i thought martha suffered at the end from its depiction of domestic sadistic violence, turning it into a not so exciting horror movie with a foreseeable ending.

but nevertheless a great film. Six out of seven lanterns.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1
Tags: