tell us about the last Film you saw

Kursk_poster.jpg

A surprisingly mixed cast in this one about the tragedy where they provide some clues to what actually happened. The two swedish Bergman actors Max von Sydow and Pernilla August feature in this one as well as Gustaf Hammarsten which really surprised me.

Well made movie showing how small individuals are when facing the mighty power of the state in times of emergency.

https://nyafilmer.com/kursk/

P_HO00006237.jpg

This drama about a woman getting her son back from rehab over Christmas turned out to be much better than it promised at the start of it. The longer it goes on the better it gets as the mother played by Julia Roberts discovers the dark unknown world her son has been a part of.

The fact that this plays out during Christmas which clashes with the dark story made it extra special.

https://nyafilmer.com/ben-is-back/
If you cut out just Julia's face from that poster and give her a Hollyhoax hat she could star in a concentration camp drama. Butch in Buchenwald, the story of Greta Thunberg and how she saved 50 pregnant swedish women who all became Nobel prize winners.

I found a movie for benchy:

Drunk-Parents.jpg

"Two drunk parents attempt to hide their ever increasing financial difficulties from their daughter and social circle through elaborate neighborhood schemes."

Not seen it and never will cause it is a comedy and if this swede watched one he might laugh so hard it would disturb Countthree to the point she would drop her binoculars and miss the incoming banana boat alert by not whistling and all hell would break lose.

:rabbitface::rabbitface::rabbitface:1/2

just when I was thinking Richard harris was possibly the sexiest man alive, kind of like a cross between moz and marlon brando, I find out that it was he who played Dumbledore. ugh, why??? I cant be thinking that about Dumbledore.

YES it is!!

I don't know what else ive seen by louis malle… elevator to the gallows, that was him, right? ill be on the lookout for more louis malle in the future!
I’ve added it to my watch list. Now here’s one for your’s. Probably my favorite Louis Malle film is Au Revoir Les Enfants. It’s semi-autobiographical and beautifully shot story of his time at a French boarding school. It’s also terribly sad so it has that going for you, too. It’s been many years since I last saw it so now I’m going to have to look it up, too.
05AD30C2-8FFB-4E4A-9171-08A710A8D8B9.jpeg

As an aside, here is some Louis Malle gossip for you. Did you know he was married to Candice Bergen? For some reason that really surprised me when I first learned that.

I remember when Rifke and others accused a certain swede of having too much time to watch movies. Well, how things have changed.

I’ve added it to my watch list. Now here’s one for your’s. Probably my favorite Louis Malle film is Au Revoir Les Enfants. It’s semi-autobiographical and beautifully shot story of his time at a French boarding school. It’s also terribly sad so it has that going for you, too. It’s been many years since I last saw it so now I’m going to have to look it up, too.
View attachment 48831

As an aside, here is some Louis Malle gossip for you. Did you know he was married to Candice Bergen? For some reason that really surprised me when I first learned that.
yes I knew that! that was about the only thing I knew about him, which is why he didn't really appeal to me as a director (I don't know why since I like Candice Bergen). actually, the girl in black moon kind of looks like CB which got me to wondering if he has a 'type' the way hitchcock and some other directors do. anyways, yes, that one is already on my watch list! thanks!

if i stay awake, i will watch the second part of the handmaid's tale tonite.

61wmzlQ%2B04L._SY606_.jpg

For me this is his best movie so far and it was both funny and emotional to watch not least cause he reminded me so much of my dad in this one cause of how he looks and being stubborn and completely unafraid and Pilla felt the same.

I love the way he portrays this old man who never cared enough about his family and got himself involved with the mexican drug cartel on the border to Mexico.

It is obvious how Clint makes fun of himself in this one as the old racist that uses the n-word and struggles to deal with homosexuals and in this movie he sort of says sorry for those things and I laughed at so many things in this movie.

The dykes on bikes and the black family with a puncture and his comments about the internet and peoples constant need to use a mobile are just some of the memorable scenes in this movie. In a way this felt like his farewell and as he stumbles out of picture at the end of the movie walking like my dad did towards the end of his life I just felt an overwhelming love for this man who of course always will be the last white man standing.

Snowflakes better not watch this or they will have a stroke.

https://nyafilmer.com/the-mule-2/

ARCTIC-UK-Poster.jpg

From "Polar" to "Arctic" Mads Mikkelsen goes from probably to definitely with this one about a man stranded out in the cold surviving by living in a crashed plane and living off fish. As close to a silent movie you can come in this day and age and the scene with the polar bear is quite impressive.

Well done to the makers of it for making so much out of almost nothing keeping me captivated throughout.

https://nyafilmer.com/arctic/

Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist

I'm not so sure it was an accident. In any case, he was suicidal. Just because he left no note doesn't mean his overdose on coke wasn't intentional. Good documentary none the less.

vWWIf00Qw1bZdb3vxCJHUqDjGVB.jpg

If a long poem was turned into a movie it would be this one. Based on the novel and without doubt THE movie that was able to keep the mood and feel of a novel throughout.

I loved the main character who is not a fan of hip hop but in fact a black punk rocker and how he gets caught up with white snowflakes who believe they are more black than him and "feeling it".

But then this turns into something else. Well done to HBO known for their black agenda who with this one were able to produce something completely different and that in a time when we all live in a more polarised world than ever.

A masterpiece I said as it ended and Pilla agreed.

https://nyafilmer.com/native-son/

2670_1_large.jpg

So when TAT was a new born or there abouts this story started that became a big scandal involving corrupt cops and an almost innocent kid. Great cast and I was surprised to see Mike Leigh actor Eddie Marsan pop up in this one which felt more than a little weird.

You know what you get when Matthew McConaughey is in front of the camera and Bel Powley does well as the drug addicted young girl but Jennifer Jason Leigh has seen better days and seems to have aged a lot.

True stories rarely disappoint.

https://nyafilmer.com/white-boy-rick/

MV5BZjNiYThlZmMtYTZiMi00ZDRjLThhMjgtZDNiNzY5MmJkOWIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ3NzIyNTQ@._V1_.jpg

The Regulars

Norwegian prison drama with great reviews that turned out to be so boring and bad we only watched half of it. Nothing really happens and I had expected more from this director and the actor playing the main character, a pakistani criminal involved in the drug business.

This was nothing like the previous movie "Izzat" but at least we got to see Lene from Aqua who sang the world wide hit "Barbie Girl" act as a prison guard but maybe a bit too cute for the part.

Trailer without subs:

me an' water watched this one ages ago for our film club. it was great. the actress is so beautiful. water was always coming up with good things to watch :( you should also watch 'who are you, polly magoo?', that was another of waters suggestions that I really enjoyed. I love the interview part where she's being asked questions. I really excited to see it on the criterion channel, but it seems it's not available in 'my country'. lame :(

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom