t how to live life

• Thread starter constantin constantius
  • Start date
C

constantin constantius

what is the secret to a happy life?is a happy life possible?or is it one of the meny dreams we delude ourselfs with?onetime i belived in happiness, and if i just waited long enough,would be sure to find it.but alas, it never arrived.the more i searched the more unhappier i became.the objects of desire - whether they we're obtained or not - alawys proved a disillusionment.firstly, if desire is unmet,it only leads to self-pity,more futile desiring.secondly,if desire finds it's object,it leads to the most saddest and bitterest of human experiences:the transience of life,of all our earthly experiences.even my most presious and(i thought)permanant experiences pass away:love,changing to bordem,then to hate;close friendships dissolving through time. no matter what road we take in life,we always end in the same place.with regret we look back imagining if we took a different route ,made a different descion,things would have turned out differently - illusion!love and desire deceive us ;pointing to the future they hold out promises that can never be fufilled:offering us a home, rest, being - but life is always a becoming,never a being.in life,the expectation is the best part.the best philosphy in life is this:stop desiring,wanting,hoping and the you'll stop regreting and pinning;if you cancell out the future,you cancell out the past.

These feelings and anxietys of life are so familular. Is there a secret to happiness and total fullfilment? This is a question i have asked myself so often, and still regularly question. Could life improve, could i find happiness and total fullfillment, could it be possible to find love and to share life with another, to experiance emotions that only seems to happen to others, to be confident and find certain experiance in life not such a horrendous experiance, to be loved by people and not desire to be loved by others all the while, to not compare yourself to everyone and always fail.

The amount of days i have spent with these questions and dielemas spinning around my head making life even harder to funtion in bringing me down makeing me ill and tired not contacting people and withdrawing from life.

One of the worst things is to analyse where everything went wrong what could have been and how different life could have been. This type of self anlyisation only ends up in misery.

so friend, i have no answers but believe me i know the pain and im sure there are a few overs in the same position (i know thats know great comfort) but i think your quite right stop planning and longing for this elusive miracle to happen desperation only makes things a lot harder to deal with and maybe on day you might see light at the and of tunnel, if not you haven't lost any thing.

its no joke, god i know that, but keep in there friend.

I have often found myself feeling more positive and joyful about life by being kind to people, i used to adopt this defensive and careless attitude about everyone i stumbled upon, always putting myself first, and that was usually misunderstood with arrogance which made me even less approachable.

I am now a believer of the theory that what you get is what you give out. Things that I was oblivious about suddenly started having a meaning when I forced myself into appreciating the simple things around me.

Humankind has managed to come up with an infinite amount of desires but they are all based on limited amount of needs, you have to learn how to fulfill a need with what you can offer, making specific and concrete plans to achieve them without asking more than you can actually spare. You cannot long for total happiness and just go ask the universe or pray to God to give it to you if you don't know what is it that is going to make you happy.

The key is when to stop thinking that your need is not fulfilled because you will always tend to materialize it into another desire, mostly if you compare what you have with what others have (you're bound to lose that most likely).

I still tend to lock myself in my own world and withdraw but I no longer feel like isolating myself to death, at least I try to take a little time to call the people I cherish (believe me, I've lost a lot of friends which I regret) and even if that affection is ephemeral I know that if it passes it won't be because I lost them but because they lost me. Relationships are give and take and so is everything, just don't expect anything back, it'll inexorably bounce back to you.

The concept of total happiness is a subjective and abstract thing.... you can only count with happy and unhappy moments basically, and the healthier and peaceful your state of mind is the more happy moments you'll find yourself having, they won't spring out of the blue, they'll just stop passing by unnoticeably.
No one can make you happy but your self (yeah even cliches are sometimes true)

"They can kill me but they can't stop me and so forth..."

> These feelings and anxietys of life are so familular. Is there a
> secret to happiness and total fullfilment? This is a question i
> have asked myself so often, and still regularly question. Could
> life improve, could i find happiness and total fullfillment,
> could it be possible to find love and to share life with
> another, to experiance emotions that only seems to happen to
> others, to be confident and find certain experiance in life not
> such a horrendous experiance, to be loved by people and not
> desire to be loved by others all the while, to not compare
> yourself to everyone and always fail.

> The amount of days i have spent with these questions and
> dielemas spinning around my head making life even harder to
> funtion in bringing me down makeing me ill and tired not
> contacting people and withdrawing from life.

> One of the worst things is to analyse where everything went
> wrong what could have been and how different life could have
> been. This type of self anlyisation only ends up in misery.

> so friend, i have no answers but believe me i know the pain and
> im sure there are a few overs in the same position (i know thats
> know great comfort) but i think your quite right stop planning
> and longing for this elusive miracle to happen desperation only
> makes things a lot harder to deal with and maybe on day you
> might see light at the and of tunnel, if not you haven't lost
> any thing.

> its no joke, god i know that, but keep in there friend.

how not to live

Little sayings to get you through the day:

your enemies have been paying more attention to you than your loved ones.

If you can smell the neighbors, it's time to change your bedsheets.

Brains, commonsense, and skill have nothing over seniority.

What exactly is your boss really paying you for?

Thin Elvis, Fat Elvis, both a Dead Elvis.

Your cat always has better things to do after she is fed.

Your grandmother's record collection is worth more than your own.

You're always too young or too old to be doing everything you like.

When you are alive and young, they keep you from doing things because you aren't ready, and if you die young, they complain you haven't had a chance to live.

Have a nice day.

i think my main problem is i suffer from a kind of poetic high-mindedness by which i ask to much from life.i always wan't the ideal .for example,when i ever meet a woman and we become attracted to each ,my mind always stops me from giving into my emotions.questions race through my head:`why is this woman falling in love with me? - she dosn't even understand me!.she calls me uniqe,her one and only,her choice,but it was only chance that brought us together.in a different time and place she would be capapble of falling in love with half the population of england - and then repeat the same things to them.am i meant to spent the rest of life devouting myself to this love? who can i devote my life to something that is incomphrehensible and absurd?surely it just natures way to get me to propergate the race?'these sort of questions always race through my mind and,in consceqeunce,i always run away;but the place i run a way to is alawys isolation and deppresion.love,to the understanding, is an offence:to the feelings,it is earthly bliss.but such is life!

I want to speak with you someday offline about all of these philosophies....a message board is too brief to share them on.
As for life in pursiuit of the ideals, there is nothing wrong with that, dont stop, regardless of the emotional burdens that it causes. It's much better to do that, and have at least half of what you're seeking than the opposite.

As for your first letter, well I would love to discuss it all much further with you, but not in this format. If you would like to as well.

sheila,thanks for your message.i think your wrong when you say this i not the right format to discuss things.for me it is the perfect medium - you can remain hidden and disclosed at the same time.i always fear becomming to intimate with people;it could break my isolation and depression.and my depression is my most faithfull mistress;it wii never betray me.

> it could
> break my isolation and depression.

That is where we differ. I hope that you're joking in saying that you long to keep your isolation and depression.

>and my depression is my most
> faithfull mistress;it wii never betray me.

I long to share my philosophies, my thoughts, my soul, if not to share what good are they really. And, a message board is not the place to do that because of the frequent mindless interuptions that can break out from anyomous idiots.

You asked many questions in your last post (the one before this one). You can analyze yourself, and your ideals day and night, but there comes a point in which you have to go outside of your own head to find the answer. That is where communication fits in. It is intimate, because it's pertaining to things that you hold as important in your life, and because you are sharing it with another (who you assume is of understanding). But, without that you will merely just run yourself in circles. There are stretches that you and I can make beyond personal perception obstacles, but we can only go so far inside of our own heads.

But, if that is how you tuly feel. Good luck finding understanding and or any sort of comprehension with the nameless/faceless masses.

yes,your right in in someways;after all,we all have finite,limited minds,and come with our own paticular conceptual baggage.more than one mind can bring different perspectives on a subject and can throw up contrasts and new perceptions that a individual might miss.plato -no less - belived that dialogue and direct communication are the best way to discovering truth.all his works come in the form of dialogue.but their are dangers in this:it can lead to alliances,cosy little sects;and it'sfar easier to follow a crowd than strike-out on a solitary path in he pursuit of truth

there comes a moment in life,after the endlessly reflecting on the multitude of ideas and experiences gaind during life, when one must make a decsive decision,choose absolutelyone's beliefs,one's stance on the world,and thereby one's fate.and silence is the prerequisite for making such a fundamental choice.only in silence can the self be gathered to it's-self,be collected from it's wanderings;only there can a sound judgement be made.and how can a mind make such a choice when it is distracted in other peoples thoughts?

so my friend,i think we are both rigth.i would like to end this message with a compomise and so,considering we both have some truth on our-side,would say the good life consists in this:solitude,interrupted by good friends.

I am more AGNRY right now that I have been in a LONG time. I had just finished preparing a LONG reply to your last message explaining the perspective, and the philosophy behind the pursuit of truth. I had just started to prieview it to check to make sure I said everything that needed to be said and AOL booted me off.

I cannot express how unhappy this makes me.

As I said a message board is NOT the place for this type of discussion, let alone from the fact that true explanations for this are LONG, and not just the short bits that fit best on message boards.

= (

What is your email address? I want to explain those thoughts, although I know that I will not be able to put them forth as eloquently as I had them (sigh) but I want to try. And, I WILL NOT attempt a long reply on this message board again.

sorry if i upset you.i am a bit busy right now,but if you want to email me i will try and reply tommorw.my email address is [email protected]

OK. The thing is, you can't really plan anything. Much of it depends on how well everything else cooperates with you. I think that is where a lot of depression comes from. You see something and it's just not really fesible. If you want to be accepted, there is no guarantee that you will. If you wished to be a ballerina when you grew up, there is no guarantee that you will be a petite anorexic twinkle toes who happens to live in New York City and blessed with parents who understood your dream enough to drive you across town on a daily basis to take lessons from Twyla Tharp, leaving you once you did reach adulthood, stuck in @#!!!work at a office somewhere for the rest of your life, daydreaming that it was you. At that point, it doesn't matter if you have a gift for dancing or not. There are about 6 billion people on this planet, and no one person has a monopoly on one thing. I mean, there is no point in dreaming the impossible dream, really.

So, what does remain constant? You will always have people around you because you can't escape them. If you are a human being, whether you are a leper or not, there will be someone else out there who will fill some emotional need in your life.

I also believe in turning totally inward to find what is really worth within yourself, words are useless as a means to finding the meaning of life ...you certainly can't escape people and those you pick as your friends/lovers/acquaintances may provide you with affection, sympathy, company or tangible things but if you break through that core you'll find yourself influenced by thoughts that never arose out of your own self. I fear becoming intimate with people precisely because I don't want to become part of their lives, and whoever becomes part of mine will nurture only that superficial , affective side, but as far as the inner side...i better keep mine hidden....
I agree with these posts being the best way to address these kind of things for they are meant to be told to the world and not to an individual.

"What has the actual lapse of time got to do with it? It is only shallow people who require years to get rid of an emotion. A man who is master of himself can end a sorrow as easily as he can invent a pleasure. I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them."

Re: "is it for thus I agetate my heart"

Are you just feeling down or do you believe such feelings stem from an unhealthy mindset?! It really is worth asking yourself this...no really honestly, the hardest thing is admiting you're not just a miserable bugger but there is something that won't just right itself; whether it feels like it's all yours or somebodyelse's fault - what the hell it still amounts to the same thing - feeling crap feels crap!

If there was an answer and I knew it I would be a very rich woman right now! The notions are not new, the advice spewed out before, but to be honest ignore it all...it's the only thing to do...if you do have depressive symptoms (and please remember you don't have to be mentally ill to suffer from mental illness) then they need treating properly, if you really do feel badly and for a lot of the time, realise that you shouldn't and refuse to accept it, get angry - and stop kicking yourself...

People get all mystical and ethereal about the mind, but me...I'm with Charles Darwin on this one "Why is thought being a secretion of the brain more fasinating than gravity being a property of matter?"

Or there's always the less orthodox ideas - admittedly mine - of:

*Get some rescue animals and listen to morrissey (and other
lovely stuff) read good books and/or watch good films.

*Pretend you're in a film and live your life in 90 minute bursts

*Pic out all the appropriate Morrissey quotations and repeat them over and over until your mother threatens to send you to the orphanage

*Watch heavenly creatures and reiterate the fact that it's everyone
else who's bonkers.

*Or - and this is my particular favourite - Outright Denial! : )

i can't agree with some of your points.how can a person who turns totally inward discover himself?this requires an outward movment,towards people and life.only by experience can you know who you are,what it is you want;only by experience discover what is the truth for you.

like you,i myself have turned totally inward,not by choice,but by nature,and i know i will always remain a mystery to myself until i can break out of my isolation.what i am trying to do,and i think you should too,is find a balance between the outer and inner;experience as much in life as you can,but retain enough inwardness to be able to judge what is real and what is not real,what is rigth and not right,what is truth and not truth.

and don't listen to cinders,her idea of a solution would be to slip a couple of prozac in your mouth and all will be well,but that's the equivalent as getting pissed out of one's brain and thinking all one's problems or solved.

Re: Ripping the heads off Jellybabies!

> and don't listen to cinders,her idea of a solution would be to
> slip a couple of prozac in your mouth and all will be well,but
> that's the equivalent as getting pissed out of one's brain and
> thinking all one's problems or solved.

Right thats it - no more - you try to be nice to somebody and they misinterpret or assert rubbish about what you say. I don't believe I ever advocated drug intervention of any kind, slap head. You are dumb and smarmy barbie, and your attitude and assumations induce vomiting. I hate you and may your life be long and lonely, whore fuker.

And I'd like to pick you up on a few elementary points if I may (or may not) how the fuggins can taking prozac be like consuming alcohol? One is an antidepressant the other is a depressant - you loon. You think you're so clever and so deep, but you're not you're a whinging pile of nonsuch if you are just gonna whinge and then dispel what people say - and I'm not just refering to myself here - then maybe you should turn out the light twibble and give us all a fuggin break.

Although maybe you should take up drinking meths or something, then as well as being miserable you can die in agony from liver disease. I bet when you were born the doctor slapped your mother. bog off stupid twerp before I send the psychosis patients from the last ward I was on to frighten you out of your sorry state. Go to a depression site, if you're serious that is...oh f.uck you and go get electricuted on a faulty ect machine...oh I'm a shell of a human being...pathetic.

Re: "is it for thus I agetate my heart"

>
>

> People get all mystical and ethereal about the mind, but
> me...I'm with Charles Darwin on this one "Why is thought
> being a secretion of the brain more fasinating than gravity
> being a property of matter?"

> i think that is the most pathetic statement i have read on this discussion board.there's nothing worse than a reductionist argument to justify one's opinions.so thougtht is just a secretion of the brain is it? - well,what was sylvia plath and her work - just secretions of the brain and splashes of ink on paper. - well,trival stuff compered to science.lets just dissmiss thougth and all it's works and flush them down the toilet and worship at the alter of science then.but science can only teach facts,not values;it cannot tell us how to live our lives, - oh,but i forgot,hitler was fasinated about darwin's theorys,and he used them to justify killing six million jews.
>
>

>

>
>

> *

>

Re: Why were you born?

You are incredibly stupid. You have not one tinsy little incling of what I am talking about...choke on your own vomit and as you are dying from this I hope you realise it is the tastiest meal you have ever had.

I am not willing to argue with somebody who so obviously doesn't understand what I have said...there is no chance of rational arguement in these circumstances. Try understanding things fully before you pass judgement on them positive or otherwise. your knowledge of subjects I have seen you discuss seems somewhat sketchy and vague...with such half hearted notions and general ideas you can only do more harm than good.

There is just no premise for your aguments against me...i'm staggered by your ignorance and apparant lack of compassion for anything but your own "pain"

Back
Top Bottom