Swords - Tracklisting

My hypocrisy knows no bounds...:) What disappoints me about "Swords" is the tracklisting: there's really nothing to hook die hard fans and the idea a casual fan would purchase this when they punted on "Greatest Hits" is a silly argument.

Therefore, I lament the fact Morrissey didn't do any work whatsoever to make "Swords" a more vital release in his catalog, and I'm lambasted for "not being a true fan." This is all so boring. Moz could have very easily released a very fine and far more marketable b-side collection with the addition of previously unreleased songs along the lines of: "I'm Playing Easy to Get," "Redondo Beach (Studio)," "Everyday is Like Sunday" with the banjo opening, along with his quality b-sides instead he opts to re-issue and re-packagethe songs thus making an easy payday and again he takes his rapid fans for granted.

Oh and as usual, I received PM's thanking me for taking the stand I did. But again it matters not, you enable Morrissey to release sub par material as you'd buy 45 minutes of silence provided it was released under Morrissey's name. To me that doesn't make one a fan it just makes one Morrissey's personal ATM which he gladly exploits.

Would you like a copy of "Swords?" Now that the album art is released just burn a copy. There's no reason to wait: all the songs are readily available either through electronic download or used CD singles. I'm sure someone would help you convert "My Dearest Love" and "Drive In Saturday (Live)" with a USB turntable. No reason for me to wait for the official release date, when I had this compilation back in March! I'm sorry but "Swords" is just an absurd tracklisting. Also, "Kit" is done. Hell, Boz sings it live. But Morrissey doesn't need to go back into the studio to record anything his fans would really dig because they'll buy this schlock anyway...:crazy:

Also, to the other poster: why is it I like and defend ROTT while you people attack it and you are "true fans" but I dislike the utterly forgettable YOR and I'm a "bad fan?" Nice set of standards you have here...:thumb:

And here is the best defense anyone could muster for YOR:
- It is good for an artist his age.
- It's better than most other work out there.

Both are weak at best, comical at the very least. Go watch "The Proclaimers" recent SXSW set and tell me those assumptions still hold.:eek:

ROTT was far superior to YOR.
I agree that the track-listing leaves out several songs that really should have been on there, 'Playing Easy To Get' being the most important seemingly easy to stick on there. However...Morrissey has always released compilation albums...why should he get stick for this and not 'Bona Drag', for instance ??

I think it's because fans on this board seemed to be expecting something more than what he promised, I.E, "a collection of B-sides from the last 3 albums'.

YoR is worst than RoTT?
No. I prefer the first I have cited.
As I live and brath, when RoTT was releaed many poeple had said that - for them - it wouldn't be gold - however, RoTT was gold just one month after be out. And Now I see many ones saying it's a classic from Moz... I know it'll be happen with YoR too..

YoR is worst than RoTT?
No. I prefer the first I have cited.
As I live and brath, when RoTT was releaed many poeple had said that - for them - it wouldn't be gold - however, RoTT was gold just one month after be out. And Now I see many ones saying it's a classic from Moz... I know it'll be happen with YoR too..

I doubt it. Lyrically, "ROTT" is LIGHTYEARS ahead of "Years of Refusal".
But YOR is still a very good album, with five really great tracks - 'skull', 'mama', 'paris, 'carol', & 'birthday'. :guitar:

I'm sorry Vauxhall, but you're really getting boring now. Do you simply crave the last word? Give it a rest won't you? You argue that M's latest work is inferior to his earlier stuff. The same could be said for your argument. You just re-issue, repackage.....

Therefore, I lament the fact Morrissey didn't do any work whatsoever to make "Swords" a more vital release in his catalog, and I'm lambasted for "not being a true fan."

I never did anything of the like. You must not have realized that over your mockery and condescension.

Oh and as usual, I received PM's thanking me for taking the stand I did. But again it matters not, you enable Morrissey to release sub par material as you'd buy 45 minutes of silence provided it was released under Morrissey's name. To me that doesn't make one a fan it just makes one Morrissey's personal ATM which he gladly exploits.

Oh, aren't you the great conquistador?
How many times do we have to farking tell you -- the people who are buying 'Swords' DO NOT FIND THE MATERIAL SUB PAR. We understand that you do. But your opinion is not the gospel truth about Morrissey's material -- IT IS ONLY YOUR OPINION.
You need to get this in your head, instead of lambasting US for not being 'true fans' just because you disagree with our opinions. And don't tell us what to spend our money on.

I'm sorry but "Swords" is just an absurd tracklisting.

In your opinion. I disagree.

Also, "Kit" is done. Hell, Boz sings it live. But Morrissey doesn't need to go back into the studio to record anything his fans would really dig because they'll buy this schlock anyway...:crazy:

I 'dig' the material that's on 'Swords.' And I wouldn't be interested in a half-finished sub-par recording of a song that is no longer relevant that Morrissey pulled out of the trash from 12 years ago. Am I allowed to have a differing opinion and still be a 'true fan'?

Also, to the other poster: why is it I like and defend ROTT while you people attack it and you are "true fans" but I dislike the utterly forgettable YOR and I'm a "bad fan?" Nice set of standards you have here...:thumb:

No one has ever called you a "bad fan." :crazy:
Paranoia.

And here is the best defense anyone could muster for YOR:
- It is good for an artist his age.
- It's better than most other work out there.

One shouldn't HAVE to defend their taste -- it is personal opinion. Just because you can't deal with someone having a differing opinion than you doesn't mean that they have no cause to like YOR. Even if YOR was the most poorly-reviewed Morrissey work produced by a 6 year old in his mum's basement, the songs can still mean something to someone, and because they don't mean anything to you doesn't mean that their opinion matters any less. You really need to learn to respect other people's opinions. It makes things go a whole lot smoother on discussion forums.

Sod this for a game of soldiers.
I'm off back to the frink thread :yum:

Has anyone else made a playlist of this compilation for their ipods to see how the songs sound in this order?

I’ll still be buying it of course, for the live disc and also I’m a bit of an obsessive collector.

I doubt it. Lyrically, "ROTT" is LIGHTYEARS ahead of "Years of Refusal".
But YOR is still a very good album, with five really great tracks - 'skull', 'mama', 'paris, 'carol', & 'birthday'. :guitar:

I agree in parts. When you say that YoR isno't a whole-good album. I say it because there're four songs I don't like, but even this ways I think YoR is one of greatest albums from Moz.

Has anyone else made a playlist of this compilation for their ipods to see how the songs sound in this order?

I’ll still be buying it of course, for the live disc and also I’m a bit of an obsessive collector.

I think the order plays quite well, glad its purely b-sides and not a mish-mash with album tracks (ie 'World Of' or 'Burglary Years')

I would've loved to have seen one or two unreleased tracks or versions, but overall quite a generous compilation for the non-bside owner. I'll certainly be keen on accquiring the otherwise vinyl only editions of 'Dearest Love' and 'Drive In Saturday', but not sure about buying the full album though...

Are all of the tracks on SWords, the same B sides, that are on the maxi singles? What I mean is...do they deviate from that at all? are there tracks on the singles(or this release) that are not on the mazi singles, or swords?

Are all of the tracks on SWords, the same B sides, that are on the maxi singles? What I mean is...do they deviate from that at all? are there tracks on the singles(or this release) that are not on the mazi singles, or swords?

Yas..only Slums mums and Human being are different.

Dunno. It's not on Swords. Is that not what we're discussing? :squiffy:

No..sorry...
Someone had asked about differences on the songs from Swords and I asnwered that only SM and HB (download via Itunes) had differences between the new release and the original release

No..sorry...
Someone had asked about differences on the songs from Swords and I asnwered that only SM and HB (download via Itunes) had differences between the new release and the original release

Oh! Then I'm sorry... :o

Back
Top Bottom