Swords - Tracklisting

do you think Moz will release one of these as a single? and then maybe some more B-sides to this single? My dearest love would make a great single and i can just envisage him singing it on Johnathan Ross

do you think Moz will release one of these as a single? and then maybe some more B-sides to this single? My dearest love would make a great single and i can just envisage him singing it on Johnathan Ross

I highly doubt it, but if he did....Drive-In Saturday...?

I cannot understand why there are so many Quarry b-sides. They were already issued on the Quarry deluxe edition! And yet there are plenty of b-sides which are not appearing on Swords. Whyyyyy?

the reason's simple. Quarry Deluxe was never a proper stand-alone album. it just gradually replaced the original Quarry after it went platinum in the UK but didn't go on to sell many more. the album was never reviewed in the music press. the whole thing was extremely low key.

a fair chunk of us lot won't have all the Quarry b-sides, let alone the less enthusiastic Morrissey fans, and then all those general music fans who might be tempted if it gets good reviews. without the Quarry songs, this would have been a pretty mediocre release...

So he omitted these, 3 cover and 5 lowly rated (by the fans) songs:

No One Can Hold A Candle To You
I Am Two People
The Public Image
Mexico
Slum Mums
Noise Is The Best Revenge
A Song From Under The Floorboards
Human Being

but he stuck with Sweetie Pie; his lowest rated of the bunch!

now that we know there won't be any more new songs, would be good to push on with the poll.

Co-writing credits split:

Good looking man about town Whyte
Don't make fun of daddy's voice Whyte
If you don't like me, don't look at me Tobias
Ganglord Whyte
My dearest love Whyte
The never played symphonies Whyte
Sweetie-Pie Farrell
Christian Dior Boorer
Shame is the name Whyte
Munich Air disaster 1958 Whyte
I knew I was next Tobias
It's hard to walk tall when you're small Whyte
Teenage Dad on his estate Whyte
Children in pieces Tobias
Friday mourning Whyte
My life is a succession of people saying goodbye Whyte
Drive-in Saturday Bowie
Because of my poor education Whyte

Alain 12 Jesse 3 Boz 1 Mickey 1

there is a reason why all the b-sides are musically so much better than a lot of the recent album work, and that reason is blatantly alain whyte.

It's always interesting to see which of his own tracks Moz likes...

Nice track-listing - I had a feeling he'd kick off with Good-Looking Man About Town, BUT... I'd like to have seen Slum Mums on for I Knew I Was Next and The Public Image for Drive-In Saturday. And I'm not sure of Education as a closer, Never-Played Symphonies might have worked better...

Swords will be released by Universal in the UK on Monday 26/10/09.
It will be available on CD and 2xLP.

The LP tracklisting is as follows:

Disc 1 - Side 1
1. Good Looking Man About Town
2. Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
3. If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
4. Ganglord

Disc 1 - Side 2
1. My Dearest Love
2. The Never-Played Symphonies
3. Sweetie Pie
4. Christian Dior

Disc 2 - Side 1
1. Shame Is The Name
2. Munich Air Disaster 1958
3. I Knew I Was Next
4. It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small
5. Teenage Dad On His Estate

Disc 2 - Side 2
1. Children In Pieces
2. Friday Mourning
3. My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye
4. Drive-In Saturday
5. Because Of My Poor Education

The initial CD orders come superbly packaged with a bonus disc recorded live in Warsaw. It contains 8 tracks never before released, recorded during his current 2009 world tour and captures Morrissey in awesome form.

it's a pretty good selection. well done Moz!
only criticism is the inclusion off all the ROTT b-sides which were generally not great. I Am Two People would've been better. glad to see none of those latter day Quarry b-sides got on. they were dire!

but on this album we have 6 or 7 genuinely great songs (which we haven't had on a Morrissey album for many years).
I agree with Maurice.
yes.gif

I rarely post, but here goes.

I think Morrissey's handlers are seriously daft. This is a shit-awful tracklisting, but not because any of the songs are poor. Instead, it's because we already own all of them, sometimes two and three times over. As a point of fact, I adore nearly every song in the compilation, but why would I want to pay for them again?

I'm Playing Easy to Get, Noise is the Best Revenge, Public Image and unreleased YOR B-sides should be included to the exclusion of Friday Mourning (already released as B-Side, Earl's Court track and Quarry Plat), Daddy's Voice (same as FM), Munich Air (same) and Drive-In Saturday. As it stands, many of the devoted will not purchase the album because of the insulting quadruple release of these tracks. Had the tracklist been:

Good Looking Man
Easy to Get
If You Don't Like...
Ganglord
Dearest Love
Never Played
Sweetie-Pie
Christian Dior
Shame
Noise is the
I Knew I was Next
Walk Tall
Teenage Dad
Children in Pieces
Public Image
Succession
Unreleased YOR track
Poor Education

Then it would not only sell much better, but it would also be a much more interesting purchase. It could also support a proper single of a previously unreleased track---that track could include retreads like Friday Mourning, Daddy and Drive In, if need be.

What is the point of this album if it doesn't contain *any* new material? Are we all really such suckers? Morrissey albums are being released just to leach money off of his adoring fan base. It's insulting.

I rarely post, but here goes.

I think Morrissey's handlers are seriously daft. This is a shit-awful tracklisting, but not because any of the songs are poor. Instead, it's because we already own all of them, sometimes two and three times over. As a point of fact, I adore nearly every song in the compilation, but why would I want to pay for them again?

I'm Playing Easy to Get, Noise is the Best Revenge, Public Image and unreleased YOR B-sides should be included to the exclusion of Friday Mourning (already released as B-Side, Earl's Court track and Quarry Plat), Daddy's Voice (same as FM), Munich Air (same) and Drive-In Saturday. As it stands, many of the devoted will not purchase the album because of the insulting quadruple release of these tracks. Had the tracklist been:

Good Looking Man
Easy to Get
If You Don't Like...
Ganglord
Dearest Love
Never Played
Sweetie-Pie
Christian Dior
Shame
Noise is the
I Knew I was Next
Walk Tall
Teenage Dad
Children in Pieces
Public Image
Succession
Unreleased YOR track
Poor Education

Then it would not only sell much better, but it would also be a much more interesting purchase. It could also support a proper single of a previously unreleased track---that track could include retreads like Friday Mourning, Daddy and Drive In, if need be.

What is the point of this album if it doesn't contain *any* new material? Are we all really such suckers? Morrissey albums are being released just to leach money off of his adoring fan base. It's insulting.

I don't think you're seeing it from the point of view of the casual listener who DOESN'T own all of the tracks. Morrissey fans are not the only demographic that Morrissey releases to, yknow. And also -- no one's putting a gun to your head and making you buy it.

You seem surprised that there's no new material on Swords, even though Moz told us that months ago. :blushing:

A casual listener of Morrissey--all 13 of them.

And there is a difference, at least in my mind, between releasing a compilation of harder to find material, such as this could be, and releasing something that is loaded with material that has already been released 2 and 3 times over and is very easy to find. This is just a thoughtless, pointless cash-grabbing retread.

Sorry to come across as such a twat. As I said above, I love most of the Swords tracks. I just don't like seeing them packaged together in this way. It's in poor taste. But I'll let it go.

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of this release. I don't think it's being released as a serious money making scheme (In fact, I'm suprised the record company have been persuaded to do it). It's being released to get more general awareness of some excellent b-sides that only the hardcore will know about. These tracks will now be reviewed and assessed where previously they have been ignored.

And there is a difference, at least in my mind, between releasing a compilation of harder to find material, such as this could be, and releasing something that is loaded with material that has already been released 2 and 3 times over and is very easy to find. This is just a thoughtless, pointless cash-grabbing retread.

What would you call 'harder to find' material? It seems to me that not everyone would find it worthwhile to buy singles when you can get the A-sides on an album. Granted, YATQ had the deluxe edition -- but that cost more, and to someone who's just testing the waters with Morrissey, it wouldn't make sense to shell out extra for a bonus disc of B-sides.
If someone like this is perusing their local record store, and they come across Swords, I can imagine they'd buy it. Your point is valid if you're only looking at us weirdos, the ones who own special mint condition Austrian versions of 'The World of Morrissey' mispressed with a French grammar lesson instead of the actual material :o
But not everyone buys singles or deluxe versions, and as I said before, we're not the only ones Morrissey markets to :guitar:

and picking up on that point, not everyone can buy the singles and hence have the b-sides. So, I am very much looking forward to the release of 'Swords' and think that the tracklisting is superb:)

Back
Top Bottom