Support Bands

Helen said:
Oh indeed! Don't forget The Boyfriends! David's fab! And he's in Dr Who!

Another to add to the list.... Peej! PJ Harvey. Who had the front row yelling at her for supporting fox hunting.

Hmmm... good choice of support act, Moz. Then again, I suppose there's some sort of vague Patti Smith-ness about PJ Harvey, which might explain it?

I remember some of her fans who went to the gigs, and left before Moz came onstage. They were scarier than Moz fans. "What are you getting her for Christmas?" "I was going to get her some chocolates, but apparently she doesn't eat them." No, because then she might actually have some flesh.

PJ Harvey is the best support act I've seen for Moz. she was brilliant. And still is....

I have seen a few... Phranc(ly crap) Elcka (ok) Sack (ahem) Marion (hmmm) Franz (good) Thrills (rubbish) and some others probably.

The three bands I think forgotten iare the Would-Bes. Didn't they support him in Dublin 1991. Used to really like that band. Not many others did.

And did you put the Libertines on the list. (Brixton Academy 2002) And The Thrills (RAH 2002)

Franz Ferdinand must have a mention here, they have so much to thanks Morrissey cos they have became famous instantly afterwards

Tempe 1999

There was some guy w/ an acoustic guitar opening the first night of the "Oye Esteban" Tour (Tempe, AZ).....I don't remember his name...anyone?

Colonel Blimp said:
I
James Maker (Raymonde)

I was trying *so* hard to forget about him. :(

BillyBud said:
I was trying *so* hard to forget about him. :(
Dear Lord... Grandpa Maker as I like to call him. Him dancing like your drunken uncle at a wedding and Nokia 320's overly stylised image were enough to put me off them for ever.

dazzak said:
Dear Lord... Grandpa Maker as I like to call him. Him dancing like your drunken uncle at a wedding and Nokia 320's overly stylised image were enough to put me off them for ever.

That's the fella. Fine set of man boobs as well.

And the tunes? Where the hell were the tunes?

Worst support act i've EVER seen.

so far mentioned:

The Boyfriends
Bradford
Damien Dempsey
The Dead 60s
Elcka
Elefant
El Vez
Franz Ferdinand
Gallon Drunk
PJ Harvey
David Johansen
The Killers
King Cheetah
The Libertines
James Maker
Marion
The Ordinary Boys
Phranc
The Planet Rockers
Pony Club
Remma
Sack
The Shins
Nancy Sinatra
Smoking Popes
Sons And Daughters
The Thrills
Tiger Army
The Well Oiled Sisters
Hawksley Workman
The Would Bes
Kristeen Young

also:

The Dears
Jaguares

wow when were The Shins support for Morrissey?? Does he choose his support acts himself?

The Shins are magnificent...good to know they were on the same bill as Moz.

chrisarclark said:
also:

The Dears
Jaguares

Wasn't it Moz who opened for Jaguares?
They asked him.
Two shows I think.

Colonel Blimp said:
I was trying to create a little playlist made up of Morrissey support acts, thus far I have;

Phranc
The Well Oiled Sisters
Elcka
Marion
Kristeen Young
Damien Dempsey
Sons And Daughters
Franz Ferdinand
Ordinary Boys
The Killers
Sack
Elefant
The Shins
Smoking Popes
Tiger Army
Gallon Drunk
James Maker (Raymonde)

I must be missing some...can anyone help?

Oh, anyone who is anorak enough to give the year they supported will get a hug and a kiss...or a thank you!

Colonel Blimp

Melissa Ferrick
El Vez

Supporting Acts

Well, after much wading through my record collection I managed to come up with the following compilation (I can't bring myself to call these things "play" lists...I'm not playing!)

I Love You - The Boyfriends
Factories - Damien Dempsey
Riot Radio - Dead 60's
Statuesque - Elcka
Tonite Let's Dance - Elefant
Drive - Melissa Ferrick
Jacqueline - Franz Ferdinand
Jake On The Make - Gallon Drunk
Sheela-na-gig - PJ Harvey
All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
What A Waster - The Libertines
The Only Way - Marion
Week In Week Out - The Ordinary Boys
California - Phantom Planet
I'm Not Romantic - Phranc
Single - Pony Club
No-one Can Hold A Candle To You - Raymonde (James Maker)
Worry Young - Remma
Angel - Sack
Hum - Sheila Divine
Kissing The Lipless - The Shins
Let Me Kiss You - Nancy Sinatra
You'll Never Walk Alone - The Smoking Popes
Dance Me In - Sons and Daughters
Big Sur - The Thrills
Wander Alone - Tiger Army
Your Beauty Must Be Rubbing Off - Hawksley Workman
Rotting On The Vine - Kristeen Young

Colonel Blimp

Last edited:
Dead 60s

I was with a few luminaries from this site at Bridlington, still the best gig I've been to, and I remember thinking how much the Dead 60s were like The Ruts, frighteningly so. What a great night we had.

Peter

jaguares

"Wasn't it Moz who opened for Jaguares?
They asked him.
Two shows I think."

from what i remember, it was a co-headline tour where they would swap headlining gigs. i ushered the berkeley, ca show at the greek and jaguares headlined, much to the consternation of MANY moz fans who assumed he would and showed up more than halfway through the set.

also, being an usher we got to watch soundcheck. the boys debuted "i like you" and "irish blood" live that day, and moz kinda danced around the empty floor whilst listening to them play it, then got onstage and sang them both. couldn't believe i was seeing it.

Back
Top Bottom