Support acts for The Smiths- Help!

T

truly

Guest
Can anyone name any support acts for The Smiths? So far I've come up with a band called Bradford, but I need more... Even better, if you know what they're doing now, I'd be ever so grateful.

Similarly if you can name any bands The Smiths supported in their early days I'd be interested to know...
 
F

fat boy

Guest
er James?

have a look at Johnny Rogans excellent 'Morrissey & Marr The Severed Alliance' for EVERYTHING you want to know

byesbye
 
J

Johnny

Guest
> Can anyone name any support acts for The Smiths? So far I've come up with
> a band called Bradford, but I need more... Even better, if you know what
> they're doing now, I'd be ever so grateful.

> Similarly if you can name any bands The Smiths supported in their early
> days I'd be interested to know...

OH DEAR. My memory is not very good. They did support Blue Rondo A La Turk at their 1st London gig.
 
D

david

Guest
> Can anyone name any support acts for The Smiths? So far I've come up with
> a band called Bradford, but I need more... Even better, if you know what
> they're doing now, I'd be ever so grateful.

> Similarly if you can name any bands The Smiths supported in their early
> days I'd be interested to know...

I'm sure James was one...
 
M

Mindy

Guest
according to the "it may all end tomorrow" website's who's who (http://www.man.compsoc.org.uk/~moz/), the smiths supported the bollock brothers at one european show. the smiths also supported the fall at one point; a few months later, the fall supported them.

also, david said that the smiths supported james or vice versa. i'm not sure as to whether this is correct or not. i do know they were mutual admirers and the smiths covered a james song called "what's the world?" it's a fun cover.
 
P

Patrick McCann

Guest
> according to the "it may all end tomorrow" website's who's who
> (http://www.man.compsoc.org.uk/~moz/), the smiths supported the bollock
> brothers at one european show.

I think the bollock(s?) brothers was Jimmy (brother of John) Lydon's band. I think they morphed from a band called 'the 4 be 2's'.
I also think I have a single by the bollocks brothers called 'the bunker'.

It's all pretty vague as I sit here trying to kick some dusty old memory cells into action, so everything I've just said could be complete bollocks. Sorry, couldn't resist it.

As for support bands, I've never been one for getting in early enough to see them. I much prefer the nearest bar. Nothing quite like a mad dash at the last minute.

One I do remember was Joy Division supporting The Buzzcocks at Glasgow Apollo. Nothing to do with the thread, I know, but I'm in a wee 'showing off' mood. Cheers.
 
J

Johnny

Guest
> I think the bollock(s?) brothers was Jimmy (brother of John) Lydon's band.
> I think they morphed from a band called 'the 4 be 2's'.
> I also think I have a single by the bollocks brothers called 'the bunker'.

> It's all pretty vague as I sit here trying to kick some dusty old memory
> cells into action, so everything I've just said could be complete
> bollocks. Sorry, couldn't resist it.

> As for support bands, I've never been one for getting in early enough to
> see them. I much prefer the nearest bar. Nothing quite like a mad dash at
> the last minute.

> One I do remember was Joy Division supporting The Buzzcocks at Glasgow
> Apollo. Nothing to do with the thread, I know, but I'm in a wee 'showing
> off' mood. Cheers.

I was at the very last gig in The Apollo Pat. Any ideas who played it?.......................................................................................The Style Councul supported by Billy Bragg.Also got to see the last 2 gigs by The Jam there. I was VERY young at the time
 
M

marr-issey

Guest
they opened up for the Sisters of Mercy and Altered Images
 
P

Proper Info

Guest
Support acts for Smiths included

RED GUITARS (Spring 84) - Hull band
THE WOODENTOPS (late 84) - great band, signed to Rough Trade
JAMES - (Meat Is Murder tour early 85)
EASTERHOUSE - (Scottish tour 85) - also on Rough Trade, guitarist Ivor Perry later joined the shortlived post-Marr Smiths (see Songs That Saved Your Life epilogue)
RAYMONDE - (1986) - band of James Maker, mate of Moz and original Smiths go-go dancer

The Smiths also played on same bills as New Order, The Fall, Gang Of 4, Howard Devoto. The Blue Rondo A La Turk gig mentioned in above posts by somebody was their live debut in Manchester, not London.
 
B

Brel

Guest
Bradford, Raymonde, The Fall, The Stockholm Monsters, 52nd Street ( rather strange one ? ) ALL spring to mind.

Oh yes I recall Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders, but that was an indoor festival thing and The Smiths were on at about 3 in the afternoon ( another strange one ? ).
 
W

Well Read

Guest
> Bradford, Raymonde, The Fall, The Stockholm Monsters, 52nd Street ( rather
> strange one ? ) ALL spring to mind.

> Oh yes I recall Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders, but that was an
> indoor festival thing and The Smiths were on at about 3 in the afternoon (
> another strange one ? ).

Bradford were not around when The Smiths were in existence, they never supported them.
According to the book 'Morrissey's Manchester', The Smiths supported 52nd St at their Hacienda debut and James supported them on their 3rd and final gig at The Hacienda in Nov 83 as well as the Meat is Murder tour in spring 85. also, the Blue Rhonda etc was indeed at Manchester at the Ritz and not London.
'The indoor thing' is described as being at G-Mex and other acts were Sandie Shaw, New Order, different bands by former members of The Buzzcocks, The Fall and OMD.
Finally, a gig at Rafters (their 4th gig) saw the band support Richard Hell and the Voidoids.
 
B

Bill Budd

Guest
> er James?

> have a look at Johnny Rogans excellent 'Morrissey & Marr The Severed
> Alliance' for EVERYTHING you want to know

> byesbye

If you are such a smart arse what are the answers then? Saying"Look it up in a book" is irrelevant.Tosser.
 
J

Johnny

Guest
> Bradford were not around when The Smiths were in existence, they never
> supported them.
> According to the book 'Morrissey's Manchester', The Smiths supported 52nd
> St at their Hacienda debut and James supported them on their 3rd and final
> gig at The Hacienda in Nov 83 as well as the Meat is Murder tour in spring
> 85. also, the Blue Rhonda etc was indeed at Manchester at the Ritz and not
> London.
> 'The indoor thing' is described as being at G-Mex and other acts were
> Sandie Shaw, New Order, different bands by former members of The
> Buzzcocks, The Fall and OMD.
> Finally, a gig at Rafters (their 4th gig) saw the band support Richard
> Hell and the Voidoids.

Brilliant!!! Richard Hell! I never knew that. Nice one.
 
P

Patrick McCann

Guest
I was VERY young at the time

Well, me too. It was actually my mother who was the joy division and buzzcocks fan. She couldn't get anyone to babysit so there I was , all wrapped up in a shawl and everything. Ahem.
 
P

Patrick McCann

Guest
> Brilliant!!! Richard Hell! I never knew that. Nice one.

I saw him once at the apollo as well, johnny. A 3-way gig, believe it or not.

With john cooper clarke and elvis costello. I was peering out of that old shawl again.
 
T

The Serenity Prayer

Guest
> I saw him once at the apollo as well, johnny. A 3-way gig, believe it or
> not.

> With john cooper clarke and elvis costello. I was peering out of that old
> shawl again.

Yeah Right Pat. I believe..only 'cause I am in a good mood after Albion Rovers victory tonight:)
 
Top Bottom