Sunset Sound Recorders YT: "10x Grammy Producer & Engineer. Joe Chiccarelli : The Interview" (January 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230116-184426.png

"...but soon it explains what it means by 'the Funky Alfonso'"
Regards,
FWD.

Morrissey discussed from 2:10:50 - information via @BrokenFrame.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who cannot stand his producing technique?

Producing albums in '23, with Pro Tools and the likes ---- they've squeezed the feeling/emotions out of albums. Things are way too mechanically done now, and too by-the-numbers (software-wise).

JC did work on a few of Frank Zappa's albums, and essentially discovered Tori Amos, so he's got the pedigree. Different producers give artists different sounds. There's a difference in direction/overall sound and flow between Morrissey albums produced by Chiccarelli, and those produced by Steve Lillywhite - as I'm sure everyone can notice.

We have always found his production fussy and, in places, tone-deaf to the hooks of a genuinely great melody.

To be fair, from YATQ onwards, it's not as if a producer (any producer) has been really given the goods to work with. With one or two notable exceptions, from ROTT onwards, the songs have been almost devoid of melody to the point where on some the lyrics/voice appear almost as a 'voice-over' in a documentary with the 'tune' reduced to little more than atmospheric background noise - LIHS is a particularly egregious offender in this respect where the 'songs' are little better than bad poems droned over an indifferent soundscape plinky plinked by a second-rate bunch of session musicians.

We think (we think a lot today, we're in a right thinky mood) that the production of M's later solo work suffers from a number of cultural shortcomings. Think of the better earlier production efforts and those responsible were largely schooled in an English tradition of mildly-eccentric Albion whimsy - Chicacarelli is from a very different cultural milieu, and doesn't it show? You want FM bombast and faux classical posings? Well, off you go then - but you're never going to get an 'Interesting Drug', a 'Nobody Loves Us' or an 'At Amber'. The future is 'Black Cloud' grungy sluggy clones kicking you in the ears for ever.

You're welcome!
I am so glad I don't agree with you.

Salient part re: new album.

"...last record you know he really wanted to push it and do something that was a little bit bolder and more electronic and this record I have a feeling will maybe be the opposite of that. It'll be a little bit more organic, a little more band-like - perhaps even simpler overall."

FWD.
This is great news. Band-like, simpler, Alain back, hopefully some inspiration in the lyrics and, yes, Chiccarelli at the helm. This could be a bomb.

This is great news. Band-like, simpler, Alain back, hopefully some inspiration in the lyrics and, yes, Chiccarelli at the helm. This could be a bomb.

I agree. I'm looking forward to a 'band album' again. Those are really Morrissey's best albums, and I'm sorry that we slipped away from that for a while ---- just blame it on the Covid!

Producing albums in '23, with Pro Tools and the likes ---- they've squeezed the feeling/emotions out of albums. Things are way too mechanically done now, and too by-the-numbers (software-wise).

JC did work on a few of Frank Zappa's albums, and essentially discovered Tori Amos, so he's got the pedigree. Different producers give artists different sounds. There's a difference in direction/overall sound and flow between Morrissey albums produced by Chiccarelli, and those produced by Steve Lillywhite - as I'm sure everyone can notice.
Rick Rubin has a new book out and is doing the interview rounds; sounds like an interesting fellow. Has Morrissey ever worked with him, and could that be a good fit sometime?

Also, my nephew embarked on a music production course last Autumn; possibly another avenue for Morrissey to consider in a few years ; )

(The radio station here just played There is a Light... and Fiachra O Braonain, stand-in dj, and guitarist with Hot House Flowers, was recalling how his band used to play The Smiths in the van while touring, while someone who called in remarked on Morrissey's extraordinary current popularity in South America...)

Oh great! So more of that Action Is My Middle Name and People Are The Same Everywhere vibe.

Morrissey's songs are not usually as bland as those you mentioned. Joe C., just like any producer who isn't directly involved with the artist's songwriting process, chooses from the material he's given by the artist. I think Joe C. has said in the past that he likes recording with Morrissey b/c MOZ 'knows what he (meaning MOZ) wants'.

REM, for one of their albums (possibly Green or Out of Time), came into the studio without any new material composed, and wrote the whole album while in the studio recording. I believe that sort of thing is extremely rare, but in that example - the producer of that album had more input on the songwriting. On the other hand, U2 when going into the studio to record the Boy LP, gave the producer something like 35 originals to choose from (for a bunch of 18 year olds, having a setlist of 30 plus original tracks is unheard of), which the producer whittled down to the usual 10 to 12 tracks which actually made it to the album.

Last edited:
Rick Rubin has a new book out and is doing the interview rounds; sounds like an interesting fellow. Has Morrissey ever worked with him, and could that be a good fit sometime?

Also, my nephew embarked on a music production course last Autumn; possibly another avenue for Morrissey to consider in a few years ; )

(The radio station here just played There is a Light... and Fiachra O Braonain, stand-in dj, and guitarist with Hot House Flowers, was recalling how his band used to play The Smiths in the van while touring, while someone who called in remarked on Morrissey's extraordinary current popularity in South America...)

The Hothouse Flowers were pretty unique and refreshing. There was some hype in America when their debut album was released, and they've stayed interesting up until today.

Their music is very authentic, one of the best ways I can put it.

Last edited:
Just look at the guy - There was a time when Moz would not even have been in a room with a guy with a goatee beard! Standards have dropped friends! He’s a US bombastic producer, something empty and unmemorable about all of the albums he has worked on I am afraid. Bring back free speech production…!

Joe Chiccarelli's production is over slick, over polished, musical homogenization taken to ridiculous extremes. Pair him up with a guy that thinks everything he does is sheer genius, and who won't listen to what anybody else says, and you get predictably uneven albums.
yawn...

I think he's done a sterling job with the material he's been given. There's only so much you can polish a turd though.

There was a time when Moz would not even have been in a room with a guy with a goatee beard!
We remember, how Morrissey insisted on the band getting haircuts on a daily basis at the WPINOYB sessions. I don't know if that also applied to Chicca's goatee and a french barber came daily for that?

The Hothouse Flowers were pretty unique and refreshing. There was some hype in America when their debut album was released, and they've stayed interesting up until today.

Their music is very authentic, one of the best ways I can put it.
People; that was the debut album. I agree with your comments. It got a deservedly warm reception at home too. They're still active musicians, not afraid to collaborate and put some fusion in the mix.

People; that was the debut album. I agree with your comments. It got a deservedly warm reception at home too. They're still active musicians, not afraid to collaborate and put some fusion in the mix.
I bought "Home" on cassette in 1990, cause I really loved "I can see clearly now".

Salient part re: new album.

"...last record you know he really wanted to push it and do something that was a little bit bolder and more electronic and this record I have a feeling will maybe be the opposite of that. It'll be a little bit more organic, a little more band-like - perhaps even simpler overall."

FWD.

I’m thinking/hoping that Joe’s come to this speculation from having actually talked to Morrissey about the direction he wants to take it, a bit of preproduction talk.

I like Joe a little more after listening to this.

Seems both he and Morrissey still have the
drive to create that allusive perfect album, both feeling that they have yet to really attain that. It’s good to be hungry, especially at that age, true artists both.

We have always found his production fussy and, in places, tone-deaf to the hooks of a genuinely great melody.

To be fair, from YATQ onwards, it's not as if a producer (any producer) has been really given the goods to work with. With one or two notable exceptions, from ROTT onwards, the songs have been almost devoid of melody to the point where on some the lyrics/voice appear almost as a 'voice-over' in a documentary with the 'tune' reduced to little more than atmospheric background noise - LIHS is a particularly egregious offender in this respect where the 'songs' are little better than bad poems droned over an indifferent soundscape plinky plinked by a second-rate bunch of session musicians.

We think (we think a lot today, we're in a right thinky mood) that the production of M's later solo work suffers from a number of cultural shortcomings. Think of the better earlier production efforts and those responsible were largely schooled in an English tradition of mildly-eccentric Albion whimsy - Chicacarelli is from a very different cultural milieu, and doesn't it show? You want FM bombast and faux classical posings? Well, off you go then - but you're never going to get an 'Interesting Drug', a 'Nobody Loves Us' or an 'At Amber'. The future is 'Black Cloud' grungy sluggy clones kicking you in the ears for ever.

You're welcome!
A lot of effort has been put into a lot of gibberish here^^

A lot of effort has been put into a lot of gibberish here^^
We agree! All that studio time, all that button twiddling, grunting, thumping, moaning and groaning. My dear - the people! The noise! And from it emerges LIHS. You are a love.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom