Sunset Sound Recorders YT: "10x Grammy Producer & Engineer. Joe Chiccarelli : The Interview" (January 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230116-184426.png

"...but soon it explains what it means by 'the Funky Alfonso'"
Regards,
FWD.

Morrissey discussed from 2:10:50 - information via @BrokenFrame.

Last edited:
These guys are all about good music.
That's why they love and respect Moz.
Most of these folks who throw so much hate at
Moz are more interested in followin' political rules
of thinkin', that coincide with their political agenda.
For a lot of folks, politics is their religion.

Joe’s been backing Moz for the best part of a decade and has helped him get multiple projects out - good for him

I don’t think he sucks as a producer I just think The catchy melodic hooks mostly related to the older Morrissey sound and records aren’t as plentiful like they used to be. In my opinion just like The Smith’s catalog, most M records up to about Quarry were so strong that any song on those albums could have been released as a single. They were all that strong of releases. That hasn’t always been the case in recent years which are associated with Joe C.

Joe Chiccarelli's production is over slick, over polished, musical homogenization taken to ridiculous extremes. Pair him up with a guy that thinks everything he does is sheer genius, and who won't listen to what anybody else says, and you get predictably uneven albums.

i like joes style,very clean sound with the voice upfront in the mix,he also has a good working relationship with M.

We have always found his production fussy and, in places, tone-deaf to the hooks of a genuinely great melody.

To be fair, from YATQ onwards, it's not as if a producer (any producer) has been really given the goods to work with. With one or two notable exceptions, from ROTT onwards, the songs have been almost devoid of melody to the point where on some the lyrics/voice appear almost as a 'voice-over' in a documentary with the 'tune' reduced to little more than atmospheric background noise - LIHS is a particularly egregious offender in this respect where the 'songs' are little better than bad poems droned over an indifferent soundscape plinky plinked by a second-rate bunch of session musicians.

We think (we think a lot today, we're in a right thinky mood) that the production of M's later solo work suffers from a number of cultural shortcomings. Think of the better earlier production efforts and those responsible were largely schooled in an English tradition of mildly-eccentric Albion whimsy - Chicacarelli is from a very different cultural milieu, and doesn't it show? You want FM bombast and faux classical posings? Well, off you go then - but you're never going to get an 'Interesting Drug', a 'Nobody Loves Us' or an 'At Amber'. The future is 'Black Cloud' grungy sluggy clones kicking you in the ears for ever.

You're welcome!

My guess is, that "Chicca" gives him a lot of freedom and that's why Morrissey prefers him. We remember how he wasn't thrilled with Lillywhite in 93-97 when he even laughed at his singing behind his back. It obviously hurt him. We have to assume that the "Chicca" triology represents exactly how Morrissey likes to be heard. Strangely enough, he is not interested in the fact that the reviews of these records were partly scathing. To be fair, the cover album is well done.

Last edited:
My guess is, that "Chicca" gives him a lot of freedom and that's why Morrissey prefers him. We remember how he wasn't thrilled with Lillywhite in 93-97 and he laughed at his singing behind his back. It obviously hurt him. We have to assume that the "Chicca" triology represents exactly how Morrissey likes to be heard. Strangely enough, he is not interested in the fact that the reviews of these records were partly scathing. To be fair, the cover album is well done.
Yes - excellent observation. You make our point for us, even 'Chicky' couldn't murder a collection of (mostly) good songs/melodies. We await the unreleased tracks from these sesssions.

Salient part re: new album.

"...last record you know he really wanted to push it and do something that was a little bit bolder and more electronic and this record I have a feeling will maybe be the opposite of that. It'll be a little bit more organic, a little more band-like - perhaps even simpler overall."

FWD.

Salient part re: new album.

"...last record you know he really wanted to push it and do something that was a little bit bolder and more electronic and this record I have a feeling will maybe be the opposite of that. It'll be a little bit more organic, a little more band-like - perhaps even simpler overall."

FWD.

Thank the heavens.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom