Suggest a question for a Morrissey email interview

Maurice E

Although Morrissey is unlikely to spend much time round these parts, the journalists who interview him (in his seemingly increasing number of email interviews) surely pop by from time to time. Any questions you’d like them to ask?
Here’s one from me:
“Mr S Morrissey – you’ve now co-written around 250 songs. Your best known collaborator is J Marr, but the person who’s provided you with most compositions over the years is actually Alain Whyte.
He’s not featured in the live set-up for years, but will he be providing songs for the next album? If not, are you looking to replace his fantastic songwriting skills with someone else's, or just to push on with a smaller songwriting team?"

Last edited:
.... If not, are you looking to replace his fantastic songwriting skills with someone else's"[/B]

Hasn't he already tried to do that with Tobias?

Hasn't he already tried to do that with Tobias?

No, not really. Both Jesse and Alain contributed songs to the last two albums.
The next would be the first one without Alain composing the music, if that's what's likely to happen.

Last edited:
No, not really. Both Jesse and Alain contributed songs to the last two albums.
The next would be the first one without Alain composing the music, if that's what's likely to happen.

Oh, I see you what you mean. I think he'll probably just stick with Jesse and Boz though - the Alain songs he used for Refusal were leftovers.

I think we've all seen enough interviews with the man to know that he would never give a sensible response to a sensible question.

Morrissey. I love your work. Question. After a concert, do you go straight to your hotel room in the city that the concert was in and travel in the morning? Or do you get thrown on a bus with a bunch of other people and drive all night? Also, do you like chocolate milk?

Oh, I see you what you mean. I think he'll probably just stick with Jesse and Boz though - the Alain songs he used for Refusal were leftovers.

The thing is really just to find out about the situation with Alain. He contributed many more songs than anyone else, they worked together for the best part of 20 years, and yet not a single word on his departure.
Yes, it probably will just be Jesse and Boz songs on a new album, if and when recorded, but it would be good to hear his explanation e.g. "I was sorry to see Alain go but Boz and Jesse write fantastic material so I'm happy with a smaller songwriting team".
Journalists are told not to ask questions about the Smiths in their email interviews but it would be very useful and interesting if they asked about Alain.

And another one.
Virtually all of your peers who found fame and critical acclaim back in the 1980s, and have subsequently enjoyed long careers, have realised that they now need to put out albums independently or on small labels. These include people like Billy Bragg, Paul Heaton and Robert Smith (the latter two have sold more albums in total than you throughout their career). In deciding not to do likewise, and therefore not put out new material indefinitely, are you happy to become more of a heritage act, touring the world on a wave of nostalgia?

And another one.
Virtually all of your peers who found fame and critical acclaim back in the 1980s, and have subsequently enjoyed long careers, have realised that they now need to put out albums independently or on small labels. These include people like Billy Bragg, Paul Heaton and Robert Smith (the latter two have sold more albums in total than you throughout their career). In deciding not to do likewise, and therefore not put out new material indefinitely, are you happy to become more of a heritage act, touring the world on a wave of nostalgia?

If you phrased the question like that, I think Morrissey would be more likely to give you a black eye than an answer.

If you phrased the question like that, I think Morrissey would be more likely to give you a black eye than an answer.

Nah, he'd be a pussy and just not respond or call you unintelligent or say something about your grandmother.

Have you ever been in a physical fight Moz? And are you a fighter or a lover?

Yes, you're quite right Amy (well there'd be a strop rather than a black eye) - the question would need to be worded differently but the issues it raises are spot on.
All his peers are accepting their reduced status and/or the changing nature of the music industry, and are happy to put albums out on small labels.
Even his own guitarist, Boz Boorer, now has a new album out which can be found in most decent size HMVs, probably containing music that would have been on a new Morrissey album.
It's a choice for him - heritage act on a never-ending nostalgia tour or current artist putting out new and (hopefully) critically acclaimed albums.
A further choice is to co-write a batch of absolutely brilliant songs, and attract much better offers than he's currently getting.

-Morrissey, I'd love your thoughts on the poor sales of your reissued Viva Hate from earlier this year.
According to Music Week figures, it didn't chart anywhere, not even in the "catalogue sales" or "vinyl charts".
As someone as chart and sales obsessed as you are, what do you attribute this to?

Also, what was your rationale for replacing "Ordinary Boys" with a demo that had already been released as an extra on another album? With your competition releasing spectacular reissued albums, did you really think that your fans would be interested in something so lacking in extras, when most, if not all, have the original album?

Mr SP Morrissey - over 20 years ago, back in 1990, you released a song called 'Get Off The Stage' about the pitiful sight of middle-aged pop groups, apparently inspired by the Rolling Stones latest comeback tour. Back then they were in their late 40s, i.e. a little younger than you are now.
The Rolling Stones have just announced another comeback tour, now in their late 60s, whilst the likes of Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan have recently released albums in their 70s.
What are your current thoughts on people continuing to record and perform live into their 50s, 60s and beyond?

Heres a good one. When are the smiths reforming. Its about time. Say sorry Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom