Suedehead reaches 100 million plays milestone on Spotify

Suedehead, Morrissey's first single released 35 years ago this month, has today become the first Morrissey-song to reach the milestone of 100 million plays on Spotify.

The top-5 Morrissey-songs on Spotify now are:

1. Suedehead, 100 million
2. Everyday Is Like Sunday, 71,7 million
3. First of the Gang To Die, 63,4 million
4. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, 21 million
5. Let Me Kiss You, 20,7 million.

The Smiths have 6 songs that have reached the 100 million plays milestone on Spotify: There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (382, 2 million), This Charming Man (332,1 million), How Soon Is Now? (202, 1), Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (195,6 million), Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want (159,5) and Bigmouth Strikes Again (146,5 million).

Update (March 1, 2023):
Now a Central post:

"TIME ONCE WAS"
0-2.png

Merck Mercuriadis (left) and Morrissey.

Morrissey's "Suedehead" has received one hundred million hits on Spotify (100,000,000).

R-14578921-1577525131-9748.jpg
R-4572151-1368735126-9608.jpg
s-l500.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This was posted during the pandemic, but didn’t know Moz suffered from long Covid ;)

1. ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’
2. ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors’
3. ‘You Are The Quarry’
4. ‘Bona Drag’
5. ‘Vauxhall and I’
6. ‘Your Arsenal’
7. ‘Louder than Bombs’
8. ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’
9. ‘Rank’
10. ‘Swords’
11. ‘California Son’
12. ‘I Am Not A Dog On A Chain’
13. ‘Years Of Refusal’
14. ‘Low In High School’
15. ‘Southpaw Grammar’
16. ‘Beethoven Was Deaf’
17. ‘Meat Is Murder’
18. ‘The Queen Is Dead’
19. ‘Maladjusted’
20. ‘Viva Hate’
21. ‘Greatest Hits’ (solo)
22. ‘Hatful of Hollow’
23. ‘Singles’ (The Smiths)
24. ‘Live at Earls Court’
25. ‘The World Won’t Listen’
26. ‘Kill Uncle’
27. ‘The Best Of’ (solo)
28. ‘Very Best Of’ (solo)
29. ‘The Smiths’
30. ‘Rare’
I love it when he trolls us.

The Smiths without Morrissey = nonexistent.

Morrissey without The Smiths = Morrissey.
I'm sorry if it's going to sound trite, but where would Morrissey be if it wasn't for Johnny?

I'm not trying to undermine his immense talent, but we do have to admit that The Smiths were a collective effort, and - although his contribution in equal measure - more than just Morrissey.

I'm sorry if it's going to sound trite, but where would Morrissey be if it wasn't for Johnny?
Most likely not were he is now. But even if The Smiths didn’t happen, there is the possibility that Morrissey eventually may have succeeded artistically ( if not commercially) in some other way. I believe he was driven enough to achieve something someday.
I'm not trying to undermine his immense talent, but we do have to admit that The Smiths were a collective effort, and - although his contribution in equal measure - more than just Morrissey.
agree.

100 million plays on Spotify.
Spotify has been created in 2006 (6 205 days).
More than 16 000 plays per day :unsure:

Yes, saw that. Well deserved.
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now reached 200 million this week, too.

Last edited:
NME semi-interviewed comic actor Greg Davies, through a few music questions in a current edition, and he picked Suedehead as the song he wished he'd written, with a few words:

“When the song was released [in 1988], I was in a turbulent teenage relationship which I thought was life defining – of course it wasn’t – and I just couldn’t believe that line: ‘Why do you come here/When you know it makes things hard for me?’ I was trying to think of what to say to that girl and this man said had it for me. Morrissey’s known for a florid use of language and an Oscar Wildean turn of phrase, but his cleverness as a lyricist is how he can speak to you so eloquently in so few words. Obviously, he has terrible beliefs now.”

Poor last line - toeing it

Wow, it's amazing to see the enduring love for Morrissey's music on Spotify. It's fantastic to see fans still enjoying these classics. The list of top Morrissey songs on Spotify showcases the timeless appeal of his work. Music truly has the power to connect generations. I also love music and even create it, but I buy Spotify plays to get popular. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
A shame the music make so little money now, and none for the artists on YouTube, as far as I know, which is shocking, though I'm a repeat offender.

David Bowie was way ahead of the curve when it came to getting music on the internet, and making it an attractive environment. He got really involved - https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35279234

Some of the 2000 interview

Does he say 'booyah' 2:30 in?!

How can artists get a fairer cut under the busy light-fingered tech tentacles?

A shame the music make so little money now, and none for the artists on YouTube, as far as I know, which is shocking, though I'm a repeat offender.

David Bowie was way ahead of the curve when it came to getting music on the internet, and making it an attractive environment. He got really involved - https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35279234

Some of the 2000 interview

Does he say 'booyah' 2:30 in?!

How can artists get a fairer cut under the busy light-fingered tech tentacles?

Playing live seems to be the best way at the moment.

And as AI starts to change what music is, and how it’s created and consumed, I think live music and that experience of being moved by living, breathing music, will play a crucial role in remembering why the human artist is still important.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom