Suede to release comprehensive “Best of” compilation

Discussion in 'Other Music archive (read-only)' started by The Seeker of Good Songs, Sep 24, 2010.

1. The Seeker of Good Songs

The Seeker of Good Songs Well-Known Member

We originally reported back in January that the Suede reunion was a one-off, but who really believed that? They’d be crazy to ignore the almighty quid as it dangles in their faces. The UK rock band has not announced any shows in America, but will be touring Europe through at least December. In addition, Suede will be putting out a compilation (via Spinner). It’s called The Best of Suede and will feature two discs of singles, B-sides, and miscellaneous album tracks. Disc one features all singles except “Positivity” and “Attitude” and is otherwise very similar to the 2003 compilation Singles. This material ranges from early 1992 material until their final original release in 2002. The second disc features the B-sides and tracks from Suede’s early albums.
    The Best of Suede arrives November 1st. The full tracklist is below.
    The Best of Suede Tracklist:
    Disc 1
    01. Animal Nitrate
    02. Beautiful Ones
    03. Trash
    04. Filmstar
    05. Metal Mickey
    06. New Generation
    07. So Young
    08. The Wild Ones
    09. The Drowners
    10. Stay Together
    11. Lazy
    12. Everything Will Flow
    13. We Are the Pigs
    14. Can’t Get Enough
    15. Electricity
    16. Obsessions
    17. She’s in Fashion
    18. Saturday Night
    Disc 2
    01. Pantomime Horse
    02. My Insatiable One
    03. Killing of a Flashboy
    04. This Hollywood Life
    05. Europe Is Our Playground
    06. My Dark Star
    07. Sleeping Pills
    08. By the Sea
    09. She
    10. Heroine
    11. The Living Dead
    12. To the Birds
    13. The Big Time
    14. The Two of Us
    15. Asphalt World
    16. Still Life
    17. The Next Life

from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/09/24/suede-to-release-comprehensive-best-of-compilation/

2. Kevaxe2k2

Kevaxe2k2 Junior Member

Wow, I am sure there are some songs missing, but that is an impressive set on first glance.

3. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Well-Known Member

Very nice track-listing(s), although I can't help but think they could have found a better song than This Hollywood Life... a very average Suede track. Off the top of my head, Animal Lover or Together or She's Not Dead or Breakdown or Indian Strings or He's Gone or The Chemistry Between Us or Oceans, for instance, would all have been better.

4. jpartain

jpartain Member

A great reminder of what an amazing band Suede were (are). And the fact that people are arguing about songs included and/or left off just reinforces the point. Personally, I've always loved the b-side 'This Time' and would have included it on this set. Reeeealllly would love for them to include a few select US dates, but highly doubt it will happen - Suede have had terrible luck in the States...

5. dcn

dcn Junior Member

As for the arguing, I agree ;)

I actually, love This Hollywood Life. Personal preference, I suppose.

6. green

green human being

I couldn't agree with you more; I love This Hollywood Life too.

Feel lucky to have caught them here on the DMS and Coming Up tours. Here's hoping they do a few select dates in the US.

7. marred

marred Member

what was so incomprehensive about the other "Singles" album and "Sci Fi Lullabies"?

8. MozIsGod

MozIsGod Active Member

Nothing. It's simply another attempt to make some ca$h.

9. freakparty

freakparty loathsome tonight

'This Time' is one of my favorites as well, it should've been on 'Coming Up' if you ask me. Good to know i'm not the only fan of that song.

'Every Monday Morning Comes' is great too.

10. pleasure_little_treasure

pleasure_little_treasure New Member

One of my best discoveries this year(thanks last.fm!), absolutely love Suede. In my opinion, the most interesting and original britpop band.

11. soundofthenorth

soundofthenorth I'm Not Sorry

CD1 is the 2003? singles collection which you can buy off ebay for £1.99 and all the fans should have the b-sides. shame there was no demos, recent live recording or new remixes as a bonus :( will give this release a miss

12. roky

roky Well-Known Member

That is a great track list. I would LOVE is Suede toured the US.
    Now that would be some GREAT news...

13. Kevaxe2k2

Kevaxe2k2 Junior Member

OMG, Suede in the US? :clap: If only!

14. Sheridan Whiteside

Sheridan Whiteside Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Whitley Bay (the seaside town they forgot to close
    Sure they had to be called The London Suede whilst releasing stuff in the US as some folk band or something already had excisted over there.

15. skellngtn

skellngtn Junior Member

according to some Suede site, there's a singer named suzanne debronkart in the US who had a couple of albums released under the Suede moniker before the band released anything.
    Funnily enough, she did a tour a few years back during the band's "vacation", but a Philly paper touted her show as being one by the former Britpop band s. needless to say for two seconds I was pumped that I would finally get to see them...then realized they would never play such a small venue, even if they are virtually unknown over here.

16. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

Yey "My Insatiable One" rocks and is my personal fav including "Beautiful Ones"! Suede were and are one of the most underated bands. Glad to see they are back together, even if they are without the class Bernard Butler!

Is it just me who thinks Dog Man Star wasn't a brilliant album?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  17. Clarksville

Clarksville Variable depth

It's not really Suede without Bernard. IMO.

18. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

Then again "Beautiful Ones" was a brill track without him and I think "Coming Up" was a great album too! They probably should have renamed the band...But then look at The Tears, that was the expected "Suede" reunion with Bernard and Brett reuniting...and it fell flat on its arse!

19. Clarksville

Clarksville Variable depth

Yeah, fair points. but I still think, for the very essence of Suede, you have to have Bernard.

(Actually, Bernard is the person I would most like Morrissey to collaborate with.)

20. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

Yeah, why not! He's a Johnny Marr lookalike too...I think Butler/Morrissey would slowly become The Smiths if they played together haha

Tags: