Suede 'Autofiction' NME Review - 4/5

Got it on now 😃
Personality disorder
The boy on the stage,
Stand out at the mo .

A friend of mine said 'Autofiction' sounds like the album that could have come out between Dog Man Star and Coming Up.

It's a strong album and I like the "live," no-pauses-in-between-songs presentation. But, like Bloodsports, it feels very top-loaded and it peters off a bit on the back end. " Early on, I think I prefer it to The Blue Hour. It is fascinating to see them deal with aging and having the subject matter of their songs morph over time.

The Only Way I Can Love You is the gem for me. The stop-time halt after the middle eight back into the chorus is breathtaking. The song itself vaguely recalls Darkest Days which is one of the ones that got away, imo.

Also: "Classic Suede" points awarded for referencing "petrol" in the very first song! :D

It's a strong album and I like the "live," no-pauses-in-between-songs presentation. But, like Bloodsports, it feels very top-loaded and it peters off a bit on the back end. " Early on, I think I prefer it to The Blue Hour. It is fascinating to see them deal with aging and having the subject matter of their songs morph over time.

The Only Way I Can Love You is the gem for me. The stop-time halt after the middle eight back into the chorus is breathtaking. The song itself vaguely recalls Darkest Days which is one of the ones that got away, imo.

Also: "Classic Suede" points awarded for referencing "petrol" in the very first song! :D

I think it plays very well as an album, but I agree that side one is a bit stronger. I love "Shadow Self" on side two... reminds me of Joy Divison meets PIL.

You're right that The Only Way I Can Love You is the instant Suede classic, Jamie. But actually I think I prefer side two for the diversity of the songs. I don't find it quite as good as the The Blue Hour - yet - but it's another very strong album from the band and possibly a real grower.

Tags
autofiction nme suede
Back
Top Bottom