Suede 'Autofiction' NME Review - 4/5

I find the three "singles" very disappointing... Hopefully the rest is better... I'm not surprised that NME likes it...

I find the three "singles" very disappointing... Hopefully the rest is better... I'm not surprised that NME likes it...
Really, I thought "she still leads me on" was quite strong. I haven't listened much to the others b/c I'm waiting to hear them in the context of the album.

Just goes to show how wonderfully subjective music is...I think the three songs released so far are their best stuff since DogManStar and Coming Up. They are still the best live band around...but that's just me.

Really, I thought "she still leads me on" was quite strong. I haven't listened much to the others b/c I'm waiting to hear them in the context of the album.
"She Still Leads Me On" is definitely the least disappointing of the three... I'm hoping that the context of the full album will help.... Reading the reviews gives me a bit more hope...!

The Quietus mentions "Goth bangers"...I'm not sure if they know what Goth means. Feckin' eejits.

For those who can't wait 😉
Quite enjoyed it as a whole.
Regards,
FWD.

Just goes to show how wonderfully subjective music is...I think the three songs released so far are their best stuff since DogManStar and Coming Up. They are still the best live band around...but that's just me.
I fully agree that they are still the best live band around! And these new songs will probably work well in a live setting...

"15 Again"
So the guitar intro is a rip off of the guitar intro from a Sisters of Mercy song or a The Cult song and the voice and the keyboard tune and song on the chorus is a copy paste of a Manic Street Preachers.
Suede is a band that always stole, their first album was a pastiche of glam-era Bowie, being even more madame and mannered that Bowie.
Catchy tunes as always, some people know how to borrow well

The Quietus mentions "Goth bangers"...I'm not sure if they know what Goth means.
THEY DO. Goth is Sisters of Mercy and for the record, the intro of "15 again" comes from this.

A very strong album on first listen, much better than The Blue Hour for sure.
A very welcome addition to their already wonderful back catalogue.

"15 Again"
So the guitar intro is a rip off of the guitar intro from a Sisters of Mercy song or a The Cult song and the voice and the keyboard tune and song on the chorus is a copy paste of a Manic Street Preachers.
Suede is a band that always stole, their first album was a pastiche of glam-era Bowie, being even more madame and mannered that Bowie.
Catchy tunes as always, some people know how to borrow well
points for using the word pastiche

Well... It's so much better than I feared!!

Early favourites: The Only Way I Can Love You, It’s Always the Quiet Ones & What Am I Without You?

And That Boy on the Stage sounds so much better in the album context...

I'm happy! :) (y)

My copy of the new Suede album arrived today along with a t-shirt and free 12". It would have been a good price if they hadn't charged £8 for postage :mad:

Attachments

• 20220917_115954.jpg
    20220917_115954.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 0
Tags
autofiction nme suede
Back
Top Bottom