Style question

Hanna_hanna

Let me get my hands on your mammary glands
So, I have found here a few threads. It's not what I want.

I wonder if The Smiths did have a stylist or some man who helped them dress, did hairstyle, etc? How did they know how to move on stage, how to act with journalists, etc? Did they have someone in this role?

Because Morrissey's appearance and behavior varied. He started as a young boy with flowers, who demonstrated his body and insane dances. Now he is in a suit and does not talk too much, and even if he is, he is much more confident and strict. Also, after the Smiths, his style changed, and even on the stage, he had another behaviour.

sometimes Mozzy had to fix his own hair …..

1653933001276.gif

sometimes Mozzy had to fix his own hair …..

View attachment 81746

I am not asking only about hair😀 For example, Morrissey's style of singing also changed. The first Smiths album was with Morrissey's voice singing through his nose. I don't know how to describe this correctly🤣 Anyway, on the last Smiths album and next solo career, you can hear a clean voice. I read once that he had a voice tutor. So such aspects of the band and Morrissey's career interest me too.

I am not asking only about hair😀 For example, Morrissey's style of singing also changed. The first Smiths album was with Morrissey's voice singing through his nose. I don't know how to describe this correctly🤣

Anyway, on the last Smiths album and next solo career, you can hear a clean voice. I read once that he had a voice tutor. So such aspects of the band and Morrissey's career interest me too.

I don’t know if he ever had a tutu, though it may have affected his voice if it was too tight?

Seriously though, I think it’s a combination of choice and natural change through age and experience. I mean, no one’s telling him how to sing.

I wonder if The Smiths did have a stylist or some man who helped them dress, did hairstyle, etc? How did they know how to move on stage, how to act with journalists, etc? Did they have someone in this role?

Because Morrissey's appearance and behavior varied. He started as a young boy with flowers, who demonstrated his body and insane dances. Now he is in a suit and does not talk too much, and even if he is, he is much more confident and strict. Also, after the Smiths, his style changed, and even on the stage, he had another behaviour.

In the early days, Johnny Marr's best friend was a hairdresser who cut the band's hair. The band didn't have a stylist, they learned to dress how many of the musicians of the day did, through looking at magazines and watching tv. And importantly, in the case of the Smiths, they learned what they didn't want to look like.

Morrissey took vocal lessons after the first record. I wouldn't be surprised if he took more lessons later on.

Morrissey took vocal lessons after the first record. I wouldn't be surprised if he took more lessons later on.
Nor would I. His singing continued to improve... by the time of TQID he was certainly at another level compared to the debut.

Really, a lot of it is just age and maturing. Almost no-one stays exactly the same for their entire life, and it would be a bit ridiculous for Morrissey now as a 63 year old man to still be attempting the same awkward dance moves he was doing on Top of the Pops when he was 25. I think even by the middle of The Smiths career, Morrissey had realized he was in danger of being stereotyped by that early persona: extremely fey, ridiculous dancing, ladies blouses, NHS spectacles, hearing aid and flowers everywhere, and was struggling to dump and move past that image (isn't that what the subtext of 'The Queen is Dead' is all about?).

Breaking News: people change and artists develop 😉

from charity shop blouses to having clothes made by amazing designers,it all comes down to a level of fame and your rung on the ladder.he looks good wearing most things except the baggy jeans period.

Part of what made The Smiths great was that they really were finding and fighting their own way in the beginning. And they were unorthodox. But of course, M had an amazing instrument, that he has honed over time. His voice sounds amazing now – maybe better than ever – which is a triumph.

With more money and opportunity comes better haircuts, stylish clothing, faster cars, etc. But M does not appear to have "a handler." He says what he feels and he does what he wants – and that's why we love him, right? And he'll wear a blue shirt with black pants and yellow shoes and we say, well... it works! :love:

An artist shouldn't stand in one place, he should constantly develop and change. It seems to me that an artist is very rarely satisfied with himself. Even if you did everything perfectly, and the audience was delighted with what you saw, you still have to strive to do better. I'm sitting here thinking about someone who has been going on stage for over 30 years and hasn't changed (I'm talking about looks and demeanor), and I can't think of anyone. Maybe that's why we've loved him for so long. And I agree that his voice sounds better now than ever.

I have a feeling that nobody got me right. My question was about a crew who helped behind the scene. I'm interested in inner workings.

No what made the Smiths so great were they were there own band. Morrissey is steven's creation.
I think around quarry he had someone help style him for photo sessions but thats it.

Back
Top Bottom