Study shows Smiths fans are “neurotic"- Pitchfork, BrooklynVegan, NME articles

Smiths Fans Are “Neurotic,” Björk Fans Are “Open,” Study Shows - Pitchfork

"Science has spoken: If you’re a fan of The Smiths, you're probably neurotic. If you're a Björk or Tom Waits fan, you're more likely to be an open to new experiences. And if you're a Marilyn Manson fan, you're probably not very agreeable. This is all according to a 2015 study of Facebook "likes" conducted by Stanford University and Cambridge University's Psychometrics Center, recently highlighted by The New York Times in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal."

42664_42658_smiths-fans.png

Smiths fans are neurotic say Facebook researchers - Brooklyn Vegan

"The examples of “likes” which predicted someone was likely to be “Most Neurotic” were all bands: The Smiths, Placebo, Marilyn Manson, Escape the Fate, and Bring Me the Horizon. The “Least Neurotic” likes, however, were all sports-related: ESPN, its show SportsCenter, plus Derrick Rose, The Miami Heat, and football (the general sport). This would probably not be a surprise to Morrissey who once sang, “Please excuse me from gym, I have a terrible cold coming on,” on The Smiths’ “The Headmaster Ritual.”"

Neurotic? Moi!?
Regards,
FWD.

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

The Smiths and Bring Me The Horizon fans are the “most neurotic”, study finds - NME

Last edited by a moderator:
You halfwits don't think "probably" is a scientific word? Have you ever heard of probability?

So I can only conclude 'science' isn't the same as 'fact'.

No, if you start with the definitions you'll see that "science" is not "fact." But science does rely on research. models, and probability. Science gives us the best, most probable model of whatever we're studying until more research and other models might prove more useful.

sci·ence
ˈsīəns/
noun
  1. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
    "the world of science and technology"
    synonyms: branch of knowledge, body of knowledge/information, area of study, discipline, field
    "the science of criminology"
    • a particular area of this.
      plural noun: sciences
      "veterinary science"
    • a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
      synonyms: physics, chemistry, biology; More
fact
fakt/
noun
  1. a thing that is indisputably the case.
    "the most commonly known fact about hedgehogs is that they have fleas"
    synonyms: reality, actuality, certainty; More
    • used in discussing the significance of something that is the case.
      noun: the fact that
      "the real problem facing them is the fact that their funds are being cut"
    • a piece of information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.
      synonyms: detail, piece of information, particular, item, specific, element, point, factor, feature, characteristic, ingredient, circumstance, aspect, facet;
      information
      "every fact was double-checked"

Marianne in a nutshell. So those mixing up The Smiths with football are ok?

giphy.gif

Football fans and any fans of any team out there are the most neurotic people you could ever meet constantly worried about something or anything.

Why, why can't this moment last forevermore?
Tonight, tonight eternity's an open door
No, don't ever stop doing the things you do
Don't go, in every breath I take I'm breathing you
Euphoria
Forever, 'till the end of time
From now on, only you and I
We're going up, up, up, up, up, up, up
Euphoria An everlasting piece of art
A beating love within my heart
We are here, we're all alone in our own Universe,
We are free, where everything's allowed and love comes first,
Forever and ever together, we sail into infinity,
We're higher and higher and higher, we're reaching for divinity.
Euphoria
Forever, 'till the end of time
From now on, only you and I
Euphoria An everlasting piece of art
Forever we sail into infinity,
We're higher, we're reaching for divinity
Euphoria, euphoria
Euphoria
An everlasting piece of art
Euphoria, euphoria

No, if you start with the definitions you'll see that "science" is not "fact." But science does rely on research. models, and probability. Science gives us the best, most probable model of whatever we're studying until more research and other models might prove more useful.

sci·ence
ˈsīəns/
noun
  1. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
    "the world of science and technology"
    synonyms: branch of knowledge, body of knowledge/information, area of study, discipline, field
    • a particular area of this.
      plural noun: sciences
      "veterinary science"
    • a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
      synonyms: physics, chemistry, biology; More
fact
fakt/
noun
  1. a thing that is indisputably the case.
    "the most commonly known fact about hedgehogs is that they have fleas"
    synonyms: reality, actuality, certainty; More
    • used in discussing the significance of something that is the case.
      noun: the fact that
      "the real problem facing them is the fact that their funds are being cut"
    • a piece of information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.
      synonyms: detail, piece of information, particular, item, specific, element, point, factor, feature, characteristic, ingredient, circumstance, aspect, facet;
      information
      "every fact was double-checked"
Thanks. I suppose I knew this from the old saying of 'not an exact science'. What particularly grates with me is when science is conveniently passed off as fact. I'm thinking of the theory of evolution. Very rerely is it referred to as a theory. Just simply 'evolution' as though it's an inisputable fact. It's likely that we evolved from apes but I don't think it's any less likely that we were designed as we were. It seems a very simplistic approach to say that just because species look and function similarly, they must be related. If you're designing animals to exist in an environment such as the Earth's I imagine you are going to be limited as to your 'raw materials' and so you start with basic shared functions and then make a variation on a theme. But each species may still be a seperate creation 'made from scratch'. Take giraffes. All giraffes look very similar. Out of all the animals why were they the only ones who evolved long necks so they could feed from higher places? Why aren't there a whole variety of animals who developed the same attribute? I'm no scientist and I'm happy to be shown to be ignorant....just thinking aloud!.

Thanks. I suppose I knew this from the old saying of 'not an exact science'. What particularly grates with me is when science is conveniently passed off as fact. I'm thinking of the theory of evolution. Very rerely is it referred to as a theory. Just simply 'evolution' as though it's an inisputable fact. It's likely that we evolved from apes but I don't think it's any less likely that we were designed as we were. It seems a very simplistic approach to say that just because species look and function similarly, they must be related. If you're designing animals to exist in an environment such as the Earth's I imagine you are going to be limited as to your 'raw materials' and so you start with basic shared functions and then make a variation on a theme. But each species may still be a seperate creation 'made from scratch'. Take giraffes. All giraffes look very similar. Out of all the animals why were they the only ones who evolved long necks so they could feed from higher places? Why aren't there a whole variety of animals who developed the same attribute? I'm no scientist and I'm happy to be shown to be ignorant....just thinking aloud!.
I can hear Biology teachers collectively shouting: "common ancestor!" :)
FWD.

Psychology is not based on empiric evidence and therefor not qualified as science. How on earth psychologists get away with it is beyond me but if we applied this onto other things planes would not fly and boats would sink and your medicine would turn you into a vampire made of green jello.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16093-1375887000-5.gif

Psychology is not based on empiric evidence and therefor not qualified as science. How on earth psychologists get away with it is beyond me but if we applied this onto other things planes would not fly and boats would sink and your medicine would turn you into a vampire made of green jello.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16093-1375887000-5.gif
Totally agree. Psychology is three parts conjecture, one part common sense.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom