Study shows Smiths fans are “neurotic"- Pitchfork, BrooklynVegan, NME articles

Smiths Fans Are “Neurotic,” Björk Fans Are “Open,” Study Shows - Pitchfork

"Science has spoken: If you’re a fan of The Smiths, you're probably neurotic. If you're a Björk or Tom Waits fan, you're more likely to be an open to new experiences. And if you're a Marilyn Manson fan, you're probably not very agreeable. This is all according to a 2015 study of Facebook "likes" conducted by Stanford University and Cambridge University's Psychometrics Center, recently highlighted by The New York Times in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal."

42664_42658_smiths-fans.png

Smiths fans are neurotic say Facebook researchers - Brooklyn Vegan

"The examples of “likes” which predicted someone was likely to be “Most Neurotic” were all bands: The Smiths, Placebo, Marilyn Manson, Escape the Fate, and Bring Me the Horizon. The “Least Neurotic” likes, however, were all sports-related: ESPN, its show SportsCenter, plus Derrick Rose, The Miami Heat, and football (the general sport). This would probably not be a surprise to Morrissey who once sang, “Please excuse me from gym, I have a terrible cold coming on,” on The Smiths’ “The Headmaster Ritual.”"

Neurotic? Moi!?
Regards,
FWD.

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

The Smiths and Bring Me The Horizon fans are the “most neurotic”, study finds - NME

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 44153

Smiths Fans Are “Neurotic,” Björk Fans Are “Open,” Study Shows.

"Science has spoken: If you’re a fan of The Smiths, you're probably neurotic. If you're a Björk or Tom Waits fan, you're more likely to be an open to new experiences. And if you're a Marilyn Manson fan, you're probably not very agreeable. This is all according to a 2015 study of Facebook "likes" conducted by Stanford University and Cambridge University's Psychometrics Center, recently highlighted by The New York Times in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal."

https://pitchfork.com/news/smiths-fans-are-neurotic-bjork-fans-are-open-study-shows/

Neurotic? Moi!?
Regards,
FWD.
What about if you're a fan of Morrissey, Bjork and Tom Waits?

Funny, I always assumed Bjork fans were suffering from obvious hearing loss and a bad case of the arty fartys.

Funny, I always assumed Bjork fans were suffering from obvious hearing loss and a bad case of the arty fartys.

Arty Farty? That was near the title of an old-skool Morrissey-zine from the 90's (Arty Bloody Farty). The author was from SoCal and frequented this website.

MrShoes

PS. g23 is correct - Bjork fans, beyond her first album, must have a certain ability to suspend disbelief. MrS

Updated:
22nd March with a similar BrooklynVegan.com article describing fans as "neurotic".
New article link is above in the OP.
Regards,
FWD.

"A recent study looked at links between personality traits and tastes in music, finding fans of The Smiths and Bring Me The Horizon to be among the “most neurotic”.

A 2015 study, conducted by Stanford University and Cambridge University’s Psychometrics Centre, looked at the interests of Facebook users, via pages they had “liked”, and answers from a 100-question quiz app called myPersonality, which scored a person’s openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness and neuroticism.

The study was recently highlighted by The New York Times in wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/music/the-s...urotic-fans-study-2270909#LFew3BPWmPi02tc0.99

Apart from the fact that from a Psychologic point of view, all humans are neurotics, no surprise here... what do you think?

Cheers!

Arty Farty? That was near the title of an old-skool Morrissey-zine from the 90's (Arty Bloody Farty). The author was from SoCal and frequented this website.

MrShoes

PS. g23 is correct - Bjork fans, beyond her first album, must have a certain ability to suspend disbelief. MrS
She has rare moments of beauty scattered throughout her catalog, but she disappears up herself to a degree that very few other artists do, and I feel that most of her work serves no one but herself. Also, her enunciation and phrasing irks me to no end. It's too precious for my tastes.

I was a Sugarcubes fan.
She has gone on & off the rails at times thereafter.
Re: Björk being open to new experiences:
I did enjoy the surround sound album - she was an early adopter of 5.1 sound and IIRC, it was set up so she sang in front of you and other voices and music 'swirled' around you. Interesting technique.
That all said, I think she must listen to The Smiths as I think if anyone fits the term 'neurotic', perhaps it's her :)
FWD

Last edited:
I was a Sugarcubes fan.
She has gone on & off the rails at times thereafter.
Re: Björk being open to new experiences:
I did enjoy the surround sound album - she was an early adopter of 5.1 sound and IIRC, it was set up so she sang in front of you and other voices and music 'swirled' around you. Interesting technique.
That all said, I think she must listen to The Smiths as I think if anyone fits the term 'neurotic', perhaps it's her :)
FWD
I really enjoyed the Sugarcubes, but Einar Orn's rapping/shouting thing didn't always do it for me. I have to say I'm thankful that she exists, and she has my respect even if her music isn't always my cup of tea.

The keyword here is “probably”.
There is nothing scientific about the word probably.

By the way, there could be a difference between Smiths fans in general, and Moz fans (In general), probably.

It’s all crap and the source is completely unreliable. In any case that CEO stepped down and did apoligize.
That Fakeboohoo superman should have the decency to do the same but I’m not counting on it.

This is so true. Neil is such a neurotic guy. No hair on his head, poor man !

Do you really think you could label The Purified Turkey with a certain manner of emotion?
Pure T has felt the whole spectrum of emotion and other different sensations ya never even knew of.

The keyword here is “probably”.
There is nothing scientific about the word probably.

By the way, there could be a difference between Smiths fans in general, and Moz fans (In general), probably.

It’s all crap and the source is completely unreliable. In any case that CEO stepped down and did apoligize.
That Fakeboohoo superman should have the decency to do the same but I’m not counting on it.
Quando hit the nail on the head. Pity he didn't hit the author on the head too.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom