• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25370

hi all,

i am going to read list of the lost again. now that i've spent so much time here on this board, not just gratefully improving my english skills (mainly in one register) but also learning so many new things about morrissey, i think i can give it a second go, wiser this time, more patient and emotionally ripened.

i know there are other users too who currently read or are planning to read the novel, so i hope there will be some exchange of ideas of how to approach and understand the text. the first time, i have to admit it, i was often at a loss. it took a long time looking up all the unknown vocabulary in a dictionary, and then returning to the text trying to develop and maintain an overall picture of the plot. but i feel, despite all the obstacles, there is a lot to discover, most likely a reluctant goldmine of insights and wisdom.

my plan is to read a few pages only, bit by bit, and then think about them. yesterday i read page 1-4 (to "what did you think before you were aware?") and i stopped immediately to meditate on their meaning. i'm happy to announce that i have developed a new approach for me, still rudimentary, probably not making much sense in the longer term, but we'll see and i'm ready to share it.

well, if nobody else wants to join in, i might just turn this thread into a secret diary blog later.

cheers

hi all,

i am going to read list of the lost again. now that i've spent so much time here on this board, not just gratefully improving my english skills (mainly in one register) but also learning so many new things about morrissey, i think i can give it a second go, wiser this time, more patient and emotionally ripened.

i know there are other users too who currently read or are planning to read the novel, so i hope there will be some exchange of ideas of how to approach and understand the text. the first time, i have to admit it, i was often at a loss. it took a long time looking up all the unknown vocabulary in a dictionary, and then returning to the text trying to develop and maintain an overall picture of the plot. but i feel, despite all the obstacles, there is a lot to discover, most likely a reluctant goldmine of insights and wisdom.

my plan is to read a few pages only, bit by bit, and then think about them. yesterday i read page 1-4 (to "what did you think before you were aware?") and i stopped immediately to meditate on their meaning. i'm happy to announce that i have developed a new approach for me, still rudimentary, probably not making much sense in the longer term, but we'll see and i'm ready to share it.

well, if nobody else wants to join in, i might just turn this thread into a secret diary blog later.

cheers

Great idea!
I'm in.
Cheers.

I'm in too. This will be my first read of the book. In a couple of days, after finishing what I'm reading now, I'll make my first commentary I hope.

Two suggestions:
1. We should start reading at the same time. People who join in later is okay and no problem but we should try to avoid to comment on sentences and passages we didn't read yet. I will stop reading it further from now on and will start with the beginning at the same time as everybody else.

2. When we start we begin with the title. (Can be subject during all reading time, of course and might become clearer during reading or at the end)

3. Then we start at the first sentence of the book which is always very important.
Any writer knows so the question should be what is there in the meaning of the names:
Ezra, Nails, Harri, Justy. As this is the first sentence of the novel.

Cause they are quite unusual names and to begin a novel like that is certainty unusual.
What are the implications of those names and where do they refer to ?
For the time being, these are my 3 cents.
Cheers

I forgot to add: reading the cover text on the back by Moz.
As you might notice I'd like to approach things in a not direct manner.
Undirect questions can get very revealing answers.

hi all,

cheers

Isn't that line connected to the bluer sky line. As in what did you think of now before you thought of the the things you think you're missing. Have your hopes and doubts eroded how you felt about the now when you measure up. Once you're aware can you ever really remember how you felt or thought

Isn't that line connected to the bluer sky line. As in what did you think of now before you thought of the the things you think you're missing. Have your hopes and doubts eroded how you felt about the now when you measure up. Once you're aware can you ever really remember how you felt or thought

Thank you so much!
That is great. I was always asking myself List of the what Lost.
It's an expression and I now understand.

I hope there will be enough critical voices too on this issue and I do hope there will be a proportional amount of people for which English is their native language and who can clarify some of the more idiosyncratic terms and expressions.
Cheers

hi all,

cheers
awesome! great idea! im going to order it today then!:thumb:

someone should invite moz to join in!

Oh God, that would be great Rifke!
Imagine a lecture from Moz himself.
Answering questions and argumenting!
By the way, can't you invite him when you're writing your letter(s) too him ?
Don't forget to use a fountain pen, inkcolor Florentine Blue.

Oh God, that would be great Rifke!
Imagine a lecture from Moz himself.
Answering questions and argumenting!
By the way, can't you invite him when you're writing your letter(s) too him ?
Don't forget to use a fountain pen, inkcolor Florentine Blue.
oh my god, im so going to! i dont see why he wouldnt want to join in....? really. not to mention, that would be like my dream study group <3
i was going to ask what kind of writing paper i should use and where to purchase a florentine blue fountain and whether they have a very fine nib but i dont want to derail this great thread, so maybe ill find another thread in which to ask! :p

oh my god, im so going to! i dont see why he wouldnt want to join in....? really. not to mention, that would be like my dream study group <3
i was going to ask what kind of writing paper i should use and where to purchase a florentine blue fountain and whether they have a very fine nib but i dont want to derail this great thread, so maybe ill find another thread in which to ask! :p

Just follow your own taste. Never mind about the suggestion of the inkcolor.
Blotting paper neither. Suggestion: He likes cats, find a nice card, a big one with enough space to write.
He had a tabby once. Never mind, follow your own intuition!
Cheers Rifke :D

quando, countthree, rifke, lanterns. You'd dig hard and deep to excavate four names quite so unusual

so we have already laid the foundation for our study circle, and other registered users plus anonymouses are certainly always welcome to join in

quando, i like your suggestions. i would say, we start reading page 1-4 (end of paragraph in the middle of the page to the above mentioned quotation), as there seems to be a little caesura at this point. the introduction is already very tightly-knit and multi-layered, so this will give us a lot of material to work with. we can include the names, title, the blurb. what i'm not so interested in is speculating about the title or names without any deeper understanding of the story, as so many other people before have done, poking about in the fog, like jack the ripper, ending up with nothing whatsoever of substantial results and thus killing even the slightest chance of profundity, their bolt all shot and gone, no energy left for the rest of the journey. but if you feel like speculating about the title first that's also fine with me, just go ahead

Agree. With some fiction stories you understand everything only when you read the last paragraph of the book. I will not ruin the surprise reading the last sentence, if there is any... :)

Oh I Highly recomend the platimum preppy fountain pen, Its the type I use for drawing and writing ect ...

You can get "carbon black" ink cartridges for it, which is
A LOVERLY VERY DEEP BLACK, in fact its possibly the darkest black ink you can get, the preppy is fine nib and the ink is permanent 2 so will last a very long time! :)

Last edited:
Nails = anagram of 'snail'

Nice one! As a snail is a very weak and defenseless animal, bound to be destroyed and to die just like that.
What about Ezra, Harri and Justy?
Could Ezra lead to Ezra Pound? :confused:
Harri? The prince ? I haven't a clue.
Justy ? No idea. Could be a petname for a dog.

i'd say the first page introduces the "death-in-life" theme: "excavate" / "look at them now in their manful splendor and wonder how it is that they could possibly part this earth in dirt, as creased corpses, falling back as the skeletons that we already are, yet hidden behind musculature that will fall in time at life's finishing line"

I understand that metaphor in the same way.

What is the sense in which the word marital is used in these two sentences?

"a pleasantly resolved marital union almost closed off in its camaraderie"

E., N., H. and J. "performed marital duties as joined by strenghts"

Last edited:
I am still wondering about the flap text at the backside.
....." Here is the fact of fiction....".

"List of the Lost is the reality of what is true battling against what is permitted to be true".

So fiction is a fact just by the existence of it, of the word itself?
What is the meaning of the word fact in this sentence?
Fact doesn't seem to be used as based in reality but nevertheless is as real as true fact. Like there is no difference between the fact of fiction and " true " fact.

"List of the Lost is the reality of what is true battling against what is permitted to be true".

If to be true is only that what is permitted to be true, permitted by who? Society? There is an existing kind of true that is NOT permitted to be true but still exists? And L of the L is THAT true battling against reality? So L of the L is reality although it is fiction.

And " He, Moz, the narrator, the writer, is truly battling against that permitted to be true?

If these questions are to be considered redundant for understanding the novel, I would like to see arguments.

Cheers

Last edited:
This book is beginning 2 sound more difficult 2 decipher than the verses of Nostradamus!!! LOL :)
(got there in the end)

I think I may just take leave of my senses and decide for myself what morrissey means !

At every ending there is a new beginning !

This book is beginning 2 sound more difficult 2 decipher than the verses of Nostradamus!!! LOL :)
(got there in the end)

I think I may just take leave of my senses and decide for myself what morrissey means !

At every ending there is a new beginning !

Moztradamus? :)
LOL

Back
Top Bottom