"Studio In Session" featuring Morrissey on Sundance in Canada

I am in Canada and do not have sundance channel...I think I have every other channel but this channel. .....It's on channel 331 for people who have Rogers. It says I have to subscribe in order to record the program... lol

Last edited:
I don't understand the hate for The Kid's a Looker and the love for Scandinavia. I think that Kid is the best song; funny and catchy and very spritely, with a pretty good melody.

Scandinavia still fails to register with me at all, on any level, which I cannot say about any other Morrissey song.

Action has grown on me a lot since last year but I don't really need a song about a 52 year old making out with someone.

People...I don't know. I want to like it but it doesn't go anywhere. Good lyrical concept and the chord progression is decent but...meh.

Kid is the best song melodically. Lyric for Scandinavia is quite strong though.

He's selling out shows on his legacy alone. If you informed ticket buyers on the next tour that he would be playing a setlist solely consisting of 19 new songs from the supposed "two unreleased albums fluttering against the bars" he's written, and made it abundantly clear there would be no Smiths songs or other solo songs played, I highly doubt he'd be selling out show after show.

Record companies don't care about legacy. They care about how much your last album sold. When you go from selling 400,000 records to 88,000 in a span of 5 years, no one is going to promote you like you're still a massive draw. Yet he expects that. The problem IS the new songs. They are weak in every way and fail to generate considerable buzz and demand even from his most devoted fans, so what would make him think a record company would show any interest? Any rational person would think the solution to a failure would be to go back to the drawing board and try again - not Morrissey...he thinks if he plays the same songs enough, you'll grow to like them. It also doesn't help that he consistently garners attention these days for absurdly negative comments. It actually seems like he does MORE publicity when trying to get a record deal than, you know, when he's actually supposed to be promoting an album/single.

Morrissey doesn't know his place...he expects the competitive music industry to take a step back in time to accommodate him, rather than him step aside, make a deal with an indie label that gives him complete freedom and enter the phase of his career where he releases material without the aim of getting it to the top of the charts. I honestly would respect him more if he were putting out bad music like he has for the last couple of years if I wasn't so sure he thought it was the best music of his career and worthy of being #1 on the charts.

Right on, VH. Never understood why he is so obsessed at this age with pop charts that are aimed at 12 year olds. Does he really think "People are the Same Everywhere" is going to resonate with the Selena Gomez and One Direction crowd?

I like all the songs but Scandinavia is actually my least favorite of the four.

I feel the same. I have given it many chances, tried different versions, heard it live a few times, but simply can't get into it. Rather boring, really. I had previously put "The Kid's a Looker" at the bottom of this batch of songs, but after hearing this new version it jumps up a notch or two. Would say it goes:

Action
People
Kid
Art Hounds; hard to really judge this one based on one so-so quality live version, but it does seem more interesting than......
Scandinavia

Thanks greatly for this. Scandinavia and Action are great.
One can only hope that Visconti produces the next album.

Probably all Bowie. Doubt it Visconti would have done much.
I´m not sure about the Bowie-issue, but you should hear his production on the "Phillip Boa & the Voodooclub"-albums and you´ll probably change your mind immediately.

Looks like Visconti is absolutely worthless in the studio.

He didn't seem particularly "involved", but I'm not sure if that was because he thought the band should take control, or just because he was too afraid to tell Morrissey when something wasn't right. The opening "Are you alive? / There is no substitute" exchange between them was painfully awkward, absolutely cringe-inducing - strange when you consider that they must have known each other for a long time.

I don't get what Visconti's production values are, seeing this video.

I think Morrissey singing live with the band, does nothing for the songs.

I thought a producer's job is to select the instruments used, pay attention to details, making things sound crisp, not making sure everyone's had their tea and crisps and laughing at Morrissey's quips.
How can one get the song (instruments and singing) perfect in just one take?
I understand it's a TV show and there was perhaps more to it.
Perhaps he'd do a lot of work on it alter, before the finished product is released, I dunno.

Is this the man who produced Bowie's 'Ashes to Ashes'? or did Bowie did all the work and had all the ideas?

I think 'The Kid's a Looker' could benefit from some production work and become really great. I like Jerry Finn's (RIP) touches, at least he tried to change things around a bit.

I like all the songs really, I just want them to sound the best possible.

Where does it mention Visconti is producing? It's just a studio session for a tv show. There is no album deal. These are not final recordings, just HQ demos.

He didn't seem particularly "involved", but I'm not sure if that was because he thought the band should take control, or just because he was too afraid to tell Morrissey when something wasn't right. The opening "Are you alive? / There is no substitute" exchange between them was painfully awkward, absolutely cringe-inducing - strange when you consider that they must have known each other for a long time.

Visconti has not been hired as a producer here. How involved do you want him to get? They're recording songs for a tv show for god's sake.

this was in canada? i am pretty sure baby seals were probably getting clubbed miles away. And why is boz not in drag in this?!?!? and why does his band have to wear the same shirts in the studio as well!?!?!?!?

He's selling out shows on his legacy alone. If you informed ticket buyers on the next tour that he would be playing a setlist solely consisting of 19 new songs from the supposed "two unreleased albums fluttering against the bars" he's written, and made it abundantly clear there would be no Smiths songs or other solo songs played, I highly doubt he'd be selling out show after show.

Record companies don't care about legacy. They care about how much your last album sold. When you go from selling 400,000 records to 88,000 in a span of 5 years, no one is going to promote you like you're still a massive draw. Yet he expects that. The problem IS the new songs. They are weak in every way and fail to generate considerable buzz and demand even from his most devoted fans, so what would make him think a record company would show any interest? Any rational person would think the solution to a failure would be to go back to the drawing board and try again - not Morrissey...he thinks if he plays the same songs enough, you'll grow to like them. It also doesn't help that he consistently garners attention these days for absurdly negative comments. It actually seems like he does MORE publicity when trying to get a record deal than, you know, when he's actually supposed to be promoting an album/single.

Morrissey doesn't know his place...he expects the competitive music industry to take a step back in time to accommodate him, rather than him step aside, make a deal with an indie label that gives him complete freedom and enter the phase of his career where he releases material without the aim of getting it to the top of the charts. I honestly would respect him more if he were putting out bad music like he has for the last couple of years if I wasn't so sure he thought it was the best music of his career and worthy of being #1 on the charts.

Well said!

first of all, thanks to Stephane & Brandi Most for this :guitar:
my 2nd time watching, its entertaining enough to make me forget completely that I was a little mad at Morrissey :thumb:
"Scandinavia" is really single worthy :)

Where does it mention Visconti is producing? It's just a studio session for a tv show. There is no album deal. These are not final recordings, just HQ demos.

Though it's a TV show, I doubt they'd be in the studio for nothing, at the very least they'd use these recordings as the basis for the final tracks. Otherwise, what's the point of the whole show? they might as well be playing in somebody's basement. What's the point of bringing Tony Visconti to the show if he's not producing anything? Barring unforeseen circumstances or previous commitments, I think it's pretty certain Visconti would be the producer on the next album, seeing that Morrissey is in working relationship with him and that Jerry Finn passed away.

Morrissey's totally going bonkers lately, that's why he's not welcome
by any recordcompany with his ongoing hate against the Royals, they can't
help it that they were born as a prince...his lowest was naming Nazi's , than
you're out...he as a former sportman and musician knows that lots of nutcases go around
try to make a disaster as 9-11,...so that's the reason London was overprotected, I bet in Manchester
there was the same as any other day, the past 3 weeks

I hope everyone in the USA enjoys [if they have a ticket] his tour

his music is OK, and I shall always sherish it

You are absolutely right. His new stuff is not strong enough to get record companies come knocking and he now seems determined to plough this barren furrow until... Well, until what? Where does he go from here, save three nights in Tierra Del Fuego?

Of the four Morrissey songs here Scandinavia is the best, but to see the man who wrote lyrics to such bona fide classics as Bigmouth Strikes Again reduced to trite tripe like People Are The Same Everywhere is beyond tragic. It's telling that of all the five Youtube links on this thread Sultans Of Swing is lyrically and musically superior to the other four. Who would think the day would have ever dawned? Terribly sad.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom