"Studio In Session" featuring Morrissey on Sundance in Canada

I am in Canada and do not have sundance channel...I think I have every other channel but this channel. .....It's on channel 331 for people who have Rogers. It says I have to subscribe in order to record the program... lol

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, but I must agree that the songs are pretty weak. Sure, hs voice sounds strong, but the lyrics and music are both subpar in comparison to what we expect from Morrissey.

This is great evidence to bolster the argument that retirement or hiring new band mates may be good ideas.

Amen brother. Good post.

The songs since Quarry are sub-standard (understatement) and a new band would be greatly appreciated.

Throw in the fact that his choice in song writing partners is deplorable.

Morrissey's voice = very good.

Morrissey's songs = pretty lousy.

Thanks much for sharing, Brandi!

Studio treatment will certainly suit Scandinavia and Action, the best of the bunch. People... still sounds like nothing more than a workmanlike B-side. Alas, Kid... would be best served by euthanasia. I get where he's going topically and there is some wit in the lyrics, but the music is very subpar. The "la's" here sounded nigh-on out of tune - and have never sounded better than filler in other renditions.

I don't understand the hate for The Kid's a Looker and the love for Scandinavia. I think that Kid is the best song; funny and catchy and very spritely, with a pretty good melody.

Scandinavia still fails to register with me at all, on any level, which I cannot say about any other Morrissey song.

Action has grown on me a lot since last year but I don't really need a song about a 52 year old making out with someone.

People...I don't know. I want to like it but it doesn't go anywhere. Good lyrical concept and the chord progression is decent but...meh.

I don't understand the hate for The Kid's a Looker and the love for Scandinavia. I think that Kid is the best song; funny and catchy and very spritely, with a pretty good melody.

Scandinavia still fails to register with me at all, on any level, which I cannot say about any other Morrissey song.

Action has grown on me a lot since last year but I don't really need a song about a 52 year old making out with someone.

People...I don't know. I want to like it but it doesn't go anywhere. Good lyrical concept and the chord progression is decent but...meh.

I don't mind "Scandinavia" as such but think it's certainly , musically, the weakest of the four. Like you , I'm a bit mystified by the dismissive responses to "Kid...". It seems a good ,fun, anti-Bieber syndrome song.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video's...2011, which means no recordcompany could not make a deal
with Morrissey, even touring intensively, the songs seems not the problem...

Good finally seeing this footage. I'd love to know how Moz interacts with those in the studio when a camera's not on him. Any different, you think?
They raced through each one in a single take. Morrissey's voice is very clear and strong here.

-I see Scandinavia as a "high profile" b-side -- not of the "hidden gem" type but simply a big sounding song but too amorphous for an album track.
-The Kid's a Looker is a fun little ditty but parts of it are really awkward. A b-side (like, the one on the least popular format of a single).
-Action is a solid album track IMO.
-People Are the Same also an album track, very much in the way that That's How People Grow Up was (take that how you will). As others have noticed, he clearly loves singing this song, which makes it better than it actually is.

Thanks for the video's...2011, which means no recordcompany could not make a deal
with Morrissey, even touring intensively, the songs seems not the problem...

He's selling out shows on his legacy alone. If you informed ticket buyers on the next tour that he would be playing a setlist solely consisting of 19 new songs from the supposed "two unreleased albums fluttering against the bars" he's written, and made it abundantly clear there would be no Smiths songs or other solo songs played, I highly doubt he'd be selling out show after show.

Record companies don't care about legacy. They care about how much your last album sold. When you go from selling 400,000 records to 88,000 in a span of 5 years, no one is going to promote you like you're still a massive draw. Yet he expects that. The problem IS the new songs. They are weak in every way and fail to generate considerable buzz and demand even from his most devoted fans, so what would make him think a record company would show any interest? Any rational person would think the solution to a failure would be to go back to the drawing board and try again - not Morrissey...he thinks if he plays the same songs enough, you'll grow to like them. It also doesn't help that he consistently garners attention these days for absurdly negative comments. It actually seems like he does MORE publicity when trying to get a record deal than, you know, when he's actually supposed to be promoting an album/single.

Morrissey doesn't know his place...he expects the competitive music industry to take a step back in time to accommodate him, rather than him step aside, make a deal with an indie label that gives him complete freedom and enter the phase of his career where he releases material without the aim of getting it to the top of the charts. I honestly would respect him more if he were putting out bad music like he has for the last couple of years if I wasn't so sure he thought it was the best music of his career and worthy of being #1 on the charts.

He's selling out shows on his legacy alone. If you informed ticket buyers on the next tour that he would be playing a setlist solely consisting of 19 new songs from the supposed "two unreleased albums fluttering against the bars" he's written, and made it abundantly clear there would be no Smiths songs or other solo songs played, I highly doubt he'd be selling out show after show.

But that's a nonsensical hypothesis because I don't think ANY band EVER would play a show/tour featuring unknown material. The problem with any new material (by any band/artist) is that, by definition, it doesn't have a history, it doesn't have existing associations and memories for the audience, so no band in their right mind would propose a setlist comprised exclusively of unknown material. When people slag off Morrissey's new material with such improbable rapidity they always do do by comparing it to older material which comes replete with ten or twenty years of sentimental attachments, so it's a meaningless comparison.

The problem IS the new songs. They are weak in every way and fail to generate considerable buzz and demand even from his most devoted fans, so what would make him think a record company would show any interest?

Personally I LOVE Art-hounds and The Kid's A Looker. And I resent the half a dozen usual suspects on here telling me that they have the "official line" on the new songs. You don't. It's all a matter of personal taste. Neither you nor anyone else on here speaks for all - or even a majority - of fans.

Record companies don't care about legacy. They care about how much your last album sold. When you go from selling 400,000 records to 88,000 in a span of 5 years, no one is going to promote you like you're still a massive draw. Yet he expects that. The problem IS the new songs. They are weak in every way and fail to generate considerable buzz and demand even from his most devoted fans, so what would make him think a record company would show any interest? Any rational person would think the solution to a failure would be to go back to the drawing board and try again - not Morrissey...he thinks if he plays the same songs enough, you'll grow to like them. It also doesn't help that he consistently garners attention these days for absurdly negative comments. It actually seems like he does MORE publicity when trying to get a record deal than, you know, when he's actually supposed to be promoting an album/single.

Morrissey doesn't know his place...he expects the competitive music industry to take a step back in time to accommodate him, rather than him step aside, make a deal with an indie label that gives him complete freedom and enter the phase of his career where he releases material without the aim of getting it to the top of the charts. I honestly would respect him more if he were putting out bad music like he has for the last couple of years if I wasn't so sure he thought it was the best music of his career and worthy of being #1 on the charts.

But do you hear the utter crap that does get to the top of the charts? Do you not hear the terrible idiocy that is considered a hit song these days being played on the radio hour after hour? Even Moz's shit is more deserving than that.

I like all the songs but Scandinavia is actually my least favorite of the four.

Of course he's selling shows on the strength of his legacy, that's what having a legacy means. He's not a new artist, people know who he is by now and go to his shows because of it. How do you want people to go to a show on the basis of songs that they haven't heard yet and haven't been released?

It's the record company's job to heavily invest in the promotion of an album. What else do you need them for?
Morrissey is showing these days that he is still willing to do the leg work and do what it takes to promote a new album, but obviously it's easier for record companies to take some new act and promote the hell out of it, because they don't actually pay new acts anything and they can use them and do whatever they want with them.
With the stuff record companies have promoted over the decades, how can you say the songs are the most important factor in their considerations?
Morrissey has been in the same situation from 1997 to 2004, was it about the songs not being any good then?
A lot of other factors go into the equation. Timing is very important, as a new generation enters their teens, they discover his music, or there's a new wave of guitar bands or people cover his songs or use them in commercials or movies.
I think Morrissey believes record companies have let him down through the years with their promotion of his albums and he has a point. Was he ever a multi-platinum selling album, when he had hits? not really.

Whether he should change writing partners and/or producer, that's a different debate. I think a producer can make or break a song. The new songs have potential with the right producer.

But do you hear the utter crap that does get to the top of the charts? Do you not hear the terrible idiocy that is considered a hit song these days being played on the radio hour after hour? Even Moz's shit is more deserving than that.

While that is true (unless it's a Tobias-penned single), obviously the majority of people who buy records disagree.

The Pop Charts game is not well suited for middle-aged rockers. Not anymore.
...And if the game is rigged, as he says it is, why bother playing?

By denying smaller label offers that will release his work solely because he's Morrissey and instead waiting on a prestigious offer from a big label who is willing to take a gamble on him, the only thing he is accomplishing is hurting himself and his fanbase. He actually stands a better chance of getting a bigger offer from record companies if he were to release a one-off album on an indie label that was a success based on the strength of the songs. But he'll never do that...because it would make too much sense.

I still play ROTT and YOR far more than Kill Uncle. Kid's A Looker is great. Remember how people here moaned about You Have Killed Me (which I loved from day one) when it was released? And now listen to the roar it gets from the audience as a show-opener. All these "nothing is as good as the old days" complaints are just the unconvincing ramblings of nostalgists who wish they were still 20 yrs old.

Just watched THE KID'S A LOOKER. My first exposure. It is brilliant. The lyric is spot-on and hilarious, and as usual the melody is all hook. I think MOZ is better at melody now than he's ever been.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom