Stuart Murdoch on Morrissey - Metro US

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2019.

By Anonymous on Jul 12, 2019 at 10:14 AM
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Belle and Sebastian’s Stuart Murdoch on empathy, Morrissey, and the future of the band - Metro US

Excerpt:

Naturally, the conversation turns to one of the faces that may be chiseled off of pop music’s Mount Rushmore for championing the downtrodden, Morrissey.

“He’s gone over to the other side of the political and emotional spectrum, which is crazy to me,” says Murdoch, whose music can certainly warrant its fair share of comparisons to The Smiths. “Because there is no other artist who really encapsulated that sense of getting what it was like to fall off the human railroad, in a sense. He managed to say that better than anybody.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      Good words. Lovely band.
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Stephen Hofmann
      Stephen Hofmann
      Nice guy, good music but you don't go to the likes of Stuart Murdoch to get a political viewpoint of any substance.
      Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    3. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      The origin of your political viewpoint ....

[​IMG]
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    4. Stephen Hofmann
      Stephen Hofmann
      Meh.
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    5. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      Who’s Bell end Sebastian? A band or something?
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Life_Is_A_Pigsty
      Life_Is_A_Pigsty
      Belle & Sebastian are a great band, loved their recent gig in Sheffield, and I'm glad Stuart didn't lay into M.

I certainly wouldn't stop listening to them just because Stuart is most likely far left.
      • Like Like x 4
    7. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Don’t ever be afraid to put your weak sarcasm and basic, stuck-pig ignorance on display!
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Emotional Guide Dog
      Emotional Guide Dog
      Good grief the last Belle & Sebastian album was dire.
    9. FantiQ
      FantiQ
      Belle and Sebastian are one of those bands that I would avoid just from their name.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Anonymous
      Anonymous

very funny. where are your vegan smileys relativist
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. Ketamine Sun
    12. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      If The Smiths had existed in the late 60s, early 70s and was a folk band, they would be Belle & Sebastian.
      Wonderful vocal melodies and EXCELLENT MOZ-LIKE LYRICS esp on the first 3 albums. you owe it to yourself to dive into those three albums if you LOVE The Smiths.

• Like Like x 4
      • Redundant Redundant x 1
    13. marred
      marred
      Another one of these insulting compliments or are they complimentary insults? At least he's not Billy Bragg. That's got to count for something.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Stephen Hofmann
      Stephen Hofmann
      Another good one.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Mayfly
      Mayfly
      It is certainly nice to see some recognition for what Morrissey once represented to so many people, even if Morrissey doesn't speak to these people anymore today.

Stuart M is a massive Smiths fan, I caught him wearing a Smiths T-shirt at my first Belle & Sebastian gig in 2002, and must admit that t helped opening my heart to their musc.

I once asked Stuart if he was also a fan of Morrissey as a solo artist well before the current saga, but he said NO.
      • Like Like x 2
    16. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Ran into someone wearing a Smiths shirt at the B&S gig in Boston, said something to the effect of "Well, at least Johnny still likes other human beings" - guy wearing the shirt noted he'd heard that several times already.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    17. reelfountain
      reelfountain
      Why didn't the man in the Smiths t-shirt punch him in the face?

We need a robust cadre of fit young men who will wear the Smiths t-shirt with pride and unerringly stand up for Morrissey's right to opinionate without being labelled a misanthrope.
    18. marred
      marred
      I would say the Smiths shirt wearer didn't punch him in the face because that would be completely inappropriate. All you need to do is ignore them. Reacting violently would suggest he's a snowflake and can't handle a few childish comments.
    19. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      He’s a Scottish Nationalist