Strangeways Here We Come - signed / autographed by Morrissey

I won this myself in 1987 from Smash Hits Magazine and it's been unplayed, kept in a plastic sleeve ever since. Comes with Smash Hits compliment slip.
Not sure if confirmation can be obtained from anyone who worked at Smash Hits of competition winners or if anyone can source the magazine then my name was listed as one of those. I forget how many copies were won at the time. I think it was no more than 10.
I do remember them saying he signed it with an eyeliner pencil.
Trying to fund a new tattoo back piece, so sadly this could be for sale. Looking for sensible offers. I honestly have no idea what it's worth. Thanks for looking. - Mike 02.jpg

I won this myself in 1987 from Smash Hits Magazine and it's been unplayed, kept in a plastic sleeve ever since. Comes with Smash Hits compliment slip.
Not sure if confirmation can be obtained from anyone who worked at Smash Hits of competition winners or if anyone can source the magazine then my name was listed as one of those. I forget how many copies were won at the time. I think it was no more than 10.
I do remember them saying he signed it with an eyeliner pencil.
Trying to fund a new tattoo back piece, so sadly this could be for sale. Looking for sensible offers. I honestly have no idea what it's worth. Thanks for looking. - Mike View attachment 34429

Seen one identical sold by a big smiths seller on ebay not long ago

Thanks for that. I found it. Little bit sad to see they sold it with a bunch of other stuff, including more signed items as if it no longer was something special they were selling after 28yrs of holding onto. Surprised they offer no real indication of any proof or even help authenticating it, but the autograph does look almost identical to the one I have. Also bit surprised it says "signed in green crayon". It was (and certainly looks more like) a gold eyeliner pencil as I recall it being described in the original competition.

Thanks for that. I found it. Little bit sad to see they sold it with a bunch of other stuff, including more signed items as if it no longer was something special they were selling after 28yrs of holding onto. Surprised they offer no real indication of any proof or even help authenticating it, but the autograph does look almost identical to the one I have. Also bit surprised it says "signed in green crayon". It was (and certainly looks more like) a gold eyeliner pencil as I recall it being described in the original competition.

How much do u want for yours?

Seems kind of strange you have a lot of signed stuff. To me, selling a lot of different signed items makes it look like they are forged.
Just my opinion though...

a bit off topic but whats the tat youre trying to get

I recently had a cover up half-sleeve done. I want to get the other arm half-sleeve cover up done, then make a start to my back. I've been putting it off for years. Now I figure I'd rather have the tattoos than some vinyl gathering dust and taking up valuable space.

Seems kind of strange you have a lot of signed stuff. To me, selling a lot of different signed items makes it look like they are forged.
Just my opinion though...

You're entitled to your opinion. If you personally wish to pursue trying to buy a back copy of the Smash Hits magazine containing winners of either LP I have listed, then I guarantee you will find my name listed as one of the winners. Besides that, I have a separate Smash Hits compliment slip for each of them which is more than the guy had who sold his copy of the same album in May of this year for £130 and didn't even mention where he got it or if he was the original owner.
As for my other signed items, it really is no concern of yours where they originated from. I know where I got them and I do have receipts for some of them I purchased from genuine record stores. I have sold a number of signed items in the past on eBay and no-one has questioned or doubted me. I don't sell fakes, never have, never will.

I wanted to add: Although I've set the bar quite high (the reserve price), I'll totally consider any bids that come within £20-£30 of the reserve. I'm not greedy. I was perhaps being over-cautious, but I've sold other items in the past without a reserve, then been kicking myself afterwards when they've gone for a song and I know I could have got more.

I wanted to add: Although I've set the bar quite high (the reserve price), I'll totally consider any bids that come within £20-£30 of the reserve. I'm not greedy. I was perhaps being over-cautious, but I've sold other items in the past without a reserve, then been kicking myself afterwards when they've gone for a song and I know I could have got more.
Thats cool man.. I was just saying. Kinda looks strange to a bidder. Maybe spread them out a bit with some other records or cd's..
I do believe that your record is genuine. I was just thinking like a bidder who didn't know about smash hits and stuff..

Thats cool man.. I was just saying. Kinda looks strange to a bidder. Maybe spread them out a bit with some other records or cd's..
I do believe that your record is genuine. I was just thinking like a bidder who didn't know about smash hits and stuff..

I do agree to an extent where you're coming from. But collectors, they collect. They end up with a variety of signed items. I've sold a lot of signed items in the past, but generally it's been for the same reason when I've suddenly wanted or needed to make as much cash as possible. I do have quite a number of unsigned vinyl but I put up all the items I had which I believe would fetch the most money.
A lot of my other vinyl are collections of the same artist/bands and I don't know how or even if those can be shipped without spending a fortune on postage. I'd rather not sell and list them all separately if I can help it so I doubt I'll be listing those on eBay. Unfortunately there are no more The Smiths or Morrissey items. I sold all those a long time ago. I haven't owned anything to play them on in at least 25yrs.

Bit disappointed this didn't sell. I suppose eBay is a lottery and it's a hit or a miss if the right person wants something at the right time.
Since one very similar sold for £130 on eBay in May of this year, with no plastic sleeve protection, no knowledge of the autograph, no indication where the seller obtained it and no attempt at providing any proof.. I feel my copy was at least worth the same, if not a little more.
If I do decide to re-list, it will be for a 'Buy It Now' of £150. I think that's only fair. I've kept it in 100% mint condition. You'd be struggling to find another one like this.
Thanks to anyone from here who might have bid on it.
- Mike

Bit disappointed this didn't sell. I suppose eBay is a lottery and it's a hit or a miss if the right person wants something at the right time.
Since one very similar sold for £130 on eBay in May of this year, with no plastic sleeve protection, no knowledge of the autograph, no indication where the seller obtained it and no attempt at providing any proof.. I feel my copy was at least worth the same, if not a little more.
If I do decide to re-list, it will be for a 'Buy It Now' of £150. I think that's only fair. I've kept it in 100% mint condition. You'd be struggling to find another one like this.
Thanks to anyone from here who might have bid on it.
- Mike

The one you mention was from a very reputable Smiths collector. Plus your item is worth only as much as the winning bid.

The one you mention was from a very reputable Smiths collector. Plus your item is worth only as much as the winning bid.

Bit of reverse psychology going on there. I disagree that any item sold on eBay is only worth whatever the winning bid happens to be. It's like I said, you just have to have the right person interested in it at the right time. So if I'd sold it for the starting bid of £10.99 wouldn't mean it was only worth that.
Your bid was £40 less than the one sold in May. Whether they were a reputable Smiths collector or not, the points I made in comparison to the one I'm selling are still valid. Therefore, I do not believe theirs should be worth more based on whether they are reputable or not. I sold my Depeche Mode LP to a guy who only had a feedback of 1 on eBay and he paid me £190 within 2 minutes of the auction ending. So I don't get what point you're trying to make. "Reputable" doesn't automatically demand a higher value.
Goes without saying, if you or anyone else saw an identical item that you owned going for X amount on eBay and were convinced yours was in better shape and/or had clearer information about the item plus better provenance, then you too would be inclined to think yours was worth at least that same amount, or more.

Bit of reverse psychology going on there. I disagree that any item sold on eBay is only worth whatever the winning bid happens to be. It's like I said, you just have to have the right person interested in it at the right time. So if I'd sold it for the starting bid of £10.99 wouldn't mean it was only worth that.
Your bid was £40 less than the one sold in May. Whether they were a reputable Smiths collector or not, the points I made in comparison to the one I'm selling are still valid. Therefore, I do not believe theirs should be worth more based on whether they are reputable or not. I sold my Depeche Mode LP to a guy who only had a feedback of 1 on eBay and he paid me £190 within 2 minutes of the auction ending. So I don't get what point you're trying to make. "Reputable" doesn't automatically demand a higher value.
Goes without saying, if you or anyone else saw an identical item that you owned going for X amount on eBay and were convinced yours was in better shape and/or had clearer information about the item plus better provenance, then you too would be inclined to think yours was worth at least that same amount, or more.

Cumon mate you sound like a baby cos someones item made more than yours, It's an auction site, afterall. You wanna add on 50 quid cos it comes in a plastic sleeve with a bit of card. You had it listed a week and ended it prime time on a sunday evening, to be fair £90+ is decent, i don't think you could do much better.

Thanks for insulting me, I appreciate it. I won’t however stoop to your level.
If by “a plastic sleeve with a bit of card” you mean pristine condition and proof of where it was obtained, then yes. I personally think this is worth more in value terms than a lack of both, reputable seller or not. Clearly you haven’t tried to buy or sell something worth any significant value (and I’m not talking about the Smiths LP). May I suggest you watch a few episodes of Four Rooms on Channel 4? Perhaps that may enlighten you. Buyers don’t care whether you’ve sold 1000’s of items before, or how attached you are to the subject matter. They’re only interested in the one item you’re selling, what condition it’s in and as much information and detail as possible, particularly as to where it originated from or where and how you obtained it.
You’re completely missing the point, but I can tell we’re going to have to agree to disagree.
For the record, I have nothing whatsoever against the “reputable Smiths fan” who sold his for £130. Good for him! I think he did really well and was simply fortunate someone was on eBay at the right place, at the right time. There is no animosity at all.
If you ask me, it’s YOU who seems upset you didn’t win the item for £91. I’ve sold enough items today. Made way more than I expected to. So I’m not all that bothered The Smiths LP didn’t sell. I’m in no rush to sell it now. I’ll hang onto it because I know it will only increase in value and will be worth more to the right person.
Oh, and your closing statement is also false since I previously received at least 5 offers via messages on here of more than £120. Albeit not from the UK. So even with extra shipping charges they’d have had to pay, I still would have done better than your offer.
Over to you.

Thanks for insulting me, I appreciate it. I won’t however stoop to your level.
If by “a plastic sleeve with a bit of card” you mean pristine condition and proof of where it was obtained, then yes. I personally think this is worth more in value terms than a lack of both, reputable seller or not. Clearly you haven’t tried to buy or sell something worth any significant value (and I’m not talking about the Smiths LP). May I suggest you watch a few episodes of Four Rooms on Channel 4? Perhaps that may enlighten you. Buyers don’t care whether you’ve sold 1000’s of items before, or how attached you are to the subject matter. They’re only interested in the one item you’re selling, what condition it’s in and as much information and detail as possible, particularly as to where it originated from or where and how you obtained it.
You’re completely missing the point, but I can tell we’re going to have to agree to disagree.
For the record, I have nothing whatsoever against the “reputable Smiths fan” who sold his for £130. Good for him! I think he did really well and was simply fortunate someone was on eBay at the right place, at the right time. There is no animosity at all.
If you ask me, it’s YOU who seems upset you didn’t win the item for £91. I’ve sold enough items today. Made way more than I expected to. So I’m not all that bothered The Smiths LP didn’t sell. I’m in no rush to sell it now. I’ll hang onto it because I know it will only increase in value and will be worth more to the right person.
Oh, and your closing statement is also false since I previously received at least 5 offers via messages on here of more than £120. Albeit not from the UK. So even with extra shipping charges they’d have had to pay, I still would have done better than your offer.
Over to you.

Yeah ive had some friends need to do a cover up. I love sleeves though and hope you like the new one whatever its gonna be

Back
Top Bottom