Strange/unexpected Moz references?

The 10 greatest songs about hating Morrissey.

Slow day at 'Far Out'.
FWD.
It was a revelation to me that Turbonegro has a song that mentions Morrissey. The remaining "songs" are more or less predictable in their bile. And still Morrissey is on top, no matter how others try to push him off the top.

P.S. It seems the Far Out guys can't tell Neil Tennant from David Tennant, especially since the Tenth Doctor took Neil's last name as an alias and is not related to Neil. Confused, it happens. But it's funny!

A book that contains zero Morrissey becomes a review about Morrissey.

Blimey - if I was the author of the book I would be very non/plussed.

There is no meaningful comments on the book itself. No reader could ascertain if it is a good or terrible book, it’s plus points or negatives.

If I was the editor and was presented this effort, it would be straight in the bin. I realise that a skilled writer of books, restaurants, theatre reviews etc can and often do write about more than is being reviewed, but they can only get away with it if they are able to be funny or interesting. This is dull and been said a thousand times before. It’s probably the most common thing written about Morrissey nowadays.

Warners larger restock of The Smiths vinyl albums are now all available to order in via indie record shops.
This was started a while back (as reported here) and is not apparently as a result of Andy's passing.
Blurb per album is press release material for stockists.
Regards,
FWD.

The Smiths / The Smiths
Black Vinyl £27.99
Arriving in an era dominated by synth pop and gloomy post-punk, The Smith's eponymous debut was the beginning of a new era. Johnny Marr's inventive song writing and ringing guitars were catchy and melodic and were made all the more original by Morrissey's vocal style and lyrics.

The Smiths / Hatful Of Hollow
Black Vinyl £24.99
Several months after releasing their first album, The Smiths issued this collection of singles and rarities, several of which are BBC versions of songs from their debut.

The Smiths / Meat is Murder
Black Vinyl £24.99
With their second proper album Meat Is Murder, The Smiths began to branch out and diversify, while refining the jangling guitar pop of their debut."The Headmaster Ritual" and "I Want The One I Can't Have" are fine elaborations of the formula they laid out on the debut, while "Rusholme Ruffians" is an infectious stab at rockabilly. Such was their creative thrust at this point; they were seen as the most important British band since Joy Division.

The Smiths / The Queen Is Dead
Black Vinyl £24.99
Opening with the storming track, the album is harder rocking record than anything the band had attempted before. Johnny Marr has created here a wide range of guitar styles that provide a musical bed for Morrissey's best set of lyrics. From which is crafted some of their finest, most affective songs, particularly "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" and the epic "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", two masterpieces that provide the foundation for a remarkable album.

The Smiths / The World Won't Listen
2LP Black Vinyl £39.99
Despite the music press initially declaring this compilation of singles and B-Sides '"inessential", fans soon grew to love The World Won't Listen as it offered a new selection of mixes including the singles "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby". Indeed, the title picked by Morrissey, represented the bands frustrations of the music industry of the time and being The Smiths they reacted in the only way they knew how. Directly through their music and now iconic artwork.

The Smiths / Louder Than Bombs
2LP Black Vinyl £39.99
Another compilation of singles, B-Sides, album tracks, and BBC sessions - this time assembled for the American market, Louder Than Bombs is a sizeable collection that boasts a wealth of brilliant material. It includes hits such as the irresistible "Ask"' the bouncing pop of "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" and the sad "Unloveable".

The Smiths / Strangeways, Here We Come
Black Vinyl £29.99
Morrissey and Marr laboured hard over the songs, working to expand the band's sound within their boundaries. In doing so they created the classic tracks "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish," "Girlfriend In A Coma," "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before," and "I Won't Share You". This, the highest charting of all their albums, easily offers a summery of the band's considerable strengths.

The Smiths / Rank
2LP Black Vinyl £42.99
Recorded live at the National Ballroom, London, in October of 1986, roughly six months before they disbanded altogether, these 14 songs capture The Smiths performing in full-on rock-star mode. Here the band's performance is suitably epic, hit-packed, and engrossing. Morrissey is in fine form providing plenty of banter and personality. similarly, Marr's distinctive manic jangle demands much attention, especially on his solo creation "The Draize Train".

👆

View attachment 91009

Much like Brendan's 'we've learnt 100 songs' - there's no guarantee anything being prepared now will appear on stage?
FWD.
I would be surprised if it isn’t played during the next round of shows. Or at least an interpretation of it. I think it was going to be played at the end of the last run but scrapped for some reason.
Would also be surprised if she doesn’t catch hell for posting that 😬

FB_IMG_1684585100600.jpg

Last edited:
The Thrills mention Morrissey in a look back on there career with Independent.co.uk

The Thrills had been delighted to go for dinner with Morrissey. It was on a hazy afternoon two decades ago that the young Dublin band met with their celebrity fan at the Pig ’n Whistle on Hollywood Boulevard, a famed expat hangout in Los Angeles. It was going well. They were laughing, joking. Morrissey, who had suggested the group give him a call if they were passing through his adopted home, even floated the possibility of The Thrills supporting him on tour. But then things suddenly took a turn when the band’s guitarist made the faux pas of asking the Smiths frontman if he might be open to becoming an honorary Thrill.

“We knew Morrissey liked our song ‘One Horse Town’. He had put the demo version on the mixtape of his most recent tour,” recalls singer Conor Deasy. “We’re chatting, and Daniel, our guitarist, goes, ‘Morrissey, we’re just finishing up the mix to [the official studio version] ‘One Horse Town’. Would you like to do backing vocals?’ Morrissey said [adopts aloof ‘Moz’ voice], ‘I don’t do backing vocals’. There was a slight pause and then Daniel says, ‘What about singing the last chorus?’ And Morrissey goes, ‘I don’t do last choruses’. That was our introduction to Morrissey.”

Also at the end of interview
Morrissey and heard him explain at length why he loved their music. “Morrissey said we were a mixture of The Partridge Family and someone else,” says Ryan. “He was very funny and really nice. Morrissey was not really giving interviews or anything at that time. It really shone a light on us – this guy hasn’t been seen for years and he’s talking about this band.”

Vulture have an article about Andy Rourke and what he brought to The Smiths, with some interesting musicological insights.

And then the usual stuff at the end about Morrissey...

The closing paragraph:

Andy Rourke shouldn’t have had to clamor for the sliver of the Smiths’ payday that he did receive. It shouldn’t have even been a sliver. Pull his parts out and the songs collapse. The maneuvers that put Rourke at a disadvantage in the band that made him famous are inseparable from the story of its hits. And the xenophobic rhetoric Morrissey has shared over the years is difficult to pry off of the smirking, aching loneliness that colors his early work. From the vantagepoint of 2023, where the pathway from jilted isolationism to nationalism and exclusionism is very well lit, it turns out to be a short trip from “England is mine, and it owes me a living” and “Has the world changed or have I changed?” to Brexit and the For Britain Movement. Sometimes, everything burns up just as quickly and magnificently as it gels. It’s important to understand why it happens, to view a creative endeavor as a series of plays people made, not just carving out bits we want to remember and papering over parts that make us uneasy. We’d have less idols to shatter that way.

(Referring to For Britain as any kind of "Movement" is, of course, laughably off-base.)

(Referring to For Britain as any kind of "Movement" is, of course, laughably off-base.)

And "pull his parts out and the songs collapse" is a bit severe. Even Well I Wonder would still be a masterpiece. The Queen Is Dead would be a lesser song for sure, but collapse?

And "pull his parts out and the songs collapse" is a bit severe. Even Well I Wonder would still be a masterpiece. The Queen Is Dead would be a lesser song for sure, but collapse?
There are quite a few Smiths songs where the bass is the most prominent part of instrumentation but that clearly isn't true for all of the songs. So yeah, Andy was of vital importance but that is a bit of a reach.

I remember going to the very early gigs of Fontaines D.C., in small pub venues which weren't full, before they'd really made their name, and The Smiths being excitedly mentioned in the same breath by the music lovers present.

I keep thinking, unlikely as it sounds, that a duet between Morrissey, and Grian Chattan, Fontaines D.C. would be phenomenal. No one else comes to mind for the job. Let it be :guitar:

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom