Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Now the basis of a BBC News story, referencing The Smiths. The article starts as follows:

How often does a member of the House of Lords get cheered from the football terraces?
Not often, is the answer. But that is what happened this weekend when Manchester City fans unfurled a banner reading: "Pannick on the Streets of London".
That play on a Smiths song title was a reference to Lord David Pannick, the much sought-after lawyer now representing the club in its fight against the Premier League.

Now the basis of a BBC News story, referencing The Smiths. The article starts as follows:

How often does a member of the House of Lords get cheered from the football terraces?
Not often, is the answer. But that is what happened this weekend when Manchester City fans unfurled a banner reading: "Pannick on the Streets of London".
That play on a Smiths song title was a reference to Lord David Pannick, the much sought-after lawyer now representing the club in its fight against the Premier League.
They played Panic over the tannoy at the end of the match as well. I heard it on 5Live radio station and the commentators mentioned it.

This Strange/Unexpected Moz reference is not recent!

In 1994 I was travelling around the USA, and I visited Universal Studios. On the backstage type tour (the one that takes in Jaws and King Kong etc), the young fella was talking about the Universal Studios theatre and he said that lots of famous acts had played there including Madonna and The Smiths. I was surprised they were mentioned on the tour although at that time Moz was huge on the West Coast (it seemed like there were posters of him in every record shop we went in!). Loads of t-shirts were being worn as well.

Apologies I have not mentioned it before. I have been a silent lurker from forever…

Walter, why now?

This song has just surfaced to me and I have some doubt about its autenticity.

It sounds like post-Smiths pre-lads era.

Any of you have heard it?

This Strange/Unexpected Moz reference is not recent!

In 1994 I was travelling around the USA, and I visited Universal Studios. On the backstage type tour (the one that takes in Jaws and King Kong etc), the young fella was talking about the Universal Studios theatre and he said that lots of famous acts had played there including Madonna and The Smiths. I was surprised they were mentioned on the tour although at that time Moz was huge on the West Coast (it seemed like there were posters of him in every record shop we went in!). Loads of t-shirts were being worn as well.

Apologies I have not mentioned it before. I have been a silent lurker from forever…
dont be a silent lurker,too many lurkers on here,make your voice heard,it costs nothing and you could be a good contributor.

Walter, why now?

certainly sounds like him,best fake is andew paresis melanie,he sounded very like M in that song,dutch radio actually introduced it as morrisseys new single,i still play it.

Walter, why now?

It might be the guy who also recorded this:

(https://adamthorton.bandcamp.com/)
I listened to some of his songs a few months ago and he's a very talented and versatile musician.

Both videos were uploaded by the same YouTube account. If it's the same person, his Morrissey voice has got a lot more refined since 'Pygmy'. I was 90% convinced during the first 30 seconds of 'Walter' that it was genuinely Morrissey. What made me sceptical was the musical backing which doesn't much sound like a Morrissey song.

Last edited:
In today's edition of BBC Radio 4's "In Our Time" on Stevie Smith, Professor Will May references Morrissey as a fan at 40:25, saying that she had fans "as varied as Ali Smith, or Morrissey and Jeannette Winterson".

Morrissey-Solo Wiki/
From Autobiography:

...My senses sharpen at the words of Stevie Smith:
Some are born to peace and joy And some are born to sorrow But only for a day as we Shall not be here tomorrow.
Smith had recently passed away after a lifetime of bleeding to death. She appeared to live like a never-opened window, with hardly any right to be, except to pass on a shivery touch of flu. She lived with her aunt in a Victorian pile in Palmers Green, all so painful yet full of life; absent from life – yet all of it right on top of her; fencing adversity with spilled ink; 50 per cent blotting-paper and 50 per cent loose tea.

Last edited:
No Morrissey or The Smiths this year for RSD.
Only Marr & Rourke:
FWD.

Walter, why now?

It's a reasonable fake - at least until the OTT falsetto mayhem at the end - but my God, what a dreary dirge of a song. Why bother?

Not got time to listen through.
Buckley via a podcast:

Brendan Buckley (Morrissey, Shakira, Perry Farrell): 5 Records That Inspired Him Growing Up

This week’s guest is Brendan Buckley…a drummer with an incredible resume that includes Shakira, Perry Farrell, Morrissey, Tegan and Sara, Damian Rice, JJ Lin and many more. I gush all about his playing to his face in the chat so I’ll leave that there, but I will say that he is one of the most articulate guests we’ve had on the show in regards to setting up each of his choices; and because of that, this is one of my favorites. He had a little bit of a different take on his choices, so buckle and enjoy this chat with Brendan Buckley. Cheers!

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom